What's new

Battlestar Galactica NBC 7/9 (1 Viewer)

RickGr

Second Unit
Remember, NBC is airing the final three episodes of season one tonight. Those who missed them or do not have UHD to see them in HD can catch them tonight in HD.
Season 2 premiers next Friday on SciFi.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I've already viewed all of the episodes in HD on UHD.

UHD is having a marathon viewing today and will run the complete first season and repeat it tomorrow as well.

Thank the Gods for my HD Tivo.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sci-Fi also had a marathon on Thursday (I believe) all day. Yesterday was a Stargate Atlantis marathon.

Sad as it is, everyone's gone today, so chances are I'll be watching all three hours.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What is UHD and is it generally available nationally? HD BSG might be sufficient to get me to pay for digital / HD cable.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Someone please tell me that the intro female vocalese used for this NBC broadcast isn't to be a "permanent" replacement for the instrumental score used on the Sci-Fi channel in the first season. Big comedown! Even worse, the rock music in the previews! (WB, here we come? [Ugh!]) Thumbs down!!!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Wow, caught this by chance -- I hadn't turned on a tv signal in years, but the UK bombing got me to turn on the tv, and there was three episodes of the new Battlestar!

Having only seen the premiere that was released on DVD awhile back:

I liked it - though the overtones of "the machines are closer to God than humans, but God is therefore probably evil, and God is a pretty blonde woman who will screw with you" was a bit too much of a cry for "I need couples therapy" (on the part of the producer) than I'd typically put up with -- if it weren't within such a lush piece of tv filmmaking.

Were these three episodes truly three sequential episodes, or were they just a semi-random collection of later episodes? Because the "Boomer2 on the planet" story seemed to jump around a bit.

Still, altogether a good plug for the DVD set.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
The Theme is the original theme that aired in the UK but here in the US apparently sci-fi didn't like it. So they used music already written for the series and inserted it into the opening. The opening music on NBC I believe is what they deeme easy for the common man to be hooked. Lol I don't know but I doubt that It will be ever heard again.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Although I've already watched them in HD before I tuned in to see how NBC brought the viewers up to speed since these are episodes from late in the season. By the way they are not the last three but rather episodes 110, 112 and 113.

I found NBC's synopsis to be well done.

Also, while I've heard the UK theme song before I'm glad they didn't use it in the US last season. UHD= Universal Hi-Def, they play Universal Studio content in HD and I get it from DirecTV. To the best of my knowledge they will not be showing the second season until it is finished on Scifi.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm of the original Battlestar Galactica generation and while I am not a huge fan of it, I know it. I came across this NBC broadcast by chance as well, it's my first time to actually see this new version.

I've been planning to buy the miniseries and if I liked it, the first season. I don't have cable or satallite by choice, so this is a 2 hour broadcast rather then the 3 hour you're talking about. I had to turn it off at the 10:30pm mark, I was afraid I was spoiling way too much. So I am not clear why there seems to be two Boomers and the thing with Baltar. I don't care to yet. If I get the series on DVD, did I spoil it to much by watching this broadcast? Luckily I was working on the computer and just listening mostly and looking occasionally. Thanks.

NickT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Nelson, alot happens in the last 30 minutes, so you are still in the dark about several things. While you may have spoiled some thigs by watching the last three eps, the big suprises are in the part you didn't see. I would avoid anything related to BSG until you can watch the rest of the 1st season. There's no way you can watch any part of the second season without gettig spoilers, so be warned. Don't read TV Guide either, they spoil big time.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, this certainly looked great in HD (on NBC) last night. I sure wish my cablr company had Universal-HD. Anyone know if Time Warner carries this anywhere or has plans to get it?

Ric

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Nick! Yeah, looked like a lot was going to happen, glad I stopped watching.

It was interesting for a first timer to see the elements used on this version from the original, the character names and planet names. The use of the word frak (SP?) was amusing. The renaming of Vipers to Rapters, perhaps Chrysler had an issue because of it's Dodge Viper? And the change of the sex of several characters that I had heard about before. This show is certainly darker and grittier and of course, more realistically done. I was a bit bothered by this new use of quick close ups and edits for some of the VFX shots. Production values were great, given what looked like limits to budgets as are with TV productions.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

The raptor is a recon ship that can do light jumps to scout ahead. There are Vipers in the squadron those are the fighter craft.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm another person who hadn't seen anything of the new BSG until last night. I only have a 'lifeline' cable setup, by choice, so I don't get SciFi. I'm hooked on this new version. I found it extremely interesting even though I couldn't follow everything that was going on.

Unfortunately it'll have to be the DVD's for me but from what I hear they're coming out in September, right?

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Jim, they're coming out earlier (on 7/26, I believe), but it's some kind of Best Buy exclusive and they're pretty expensive for 13 episodes ((around $50). The other stores will have them sometime in the fall, at presumably much lower prices.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm curious why NBC just did'nt rerun the series in the summer it's only 13 episodes. Why show the final 3episodes of a highly serialized series? What are they trying to accomplish, would've made more sense to run the whole thing weekly

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

Typical network stupidity.

My girlfriend missed the miniseries but started watching the regular series with me. I've spent most of the season explaining things.

I've always wondered if NBC was thinking of maybe playing new BG on Friday night on Sci-Fi and then maybe Saturday night on NBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks