What's new

Battleship (2012) - starring Taylor Kitsch and Alexander Skarsgard (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
I'm not sure why it's failing at the box office either...
I think part of it is that it's caught in the wake of The Avengers but mostly it's that the movie is based on a board game and people, rightly or wrongly, just think that's too stupid of an idea to pay $12 to see. I'm sure I've said it before but if this movie was called The Battleship That Fought Aliens rather than acknowledging a connection to the game, I think it would have done pretty well.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
The funny part of it is that they did a great job incorporating the game into the movie. In fact I thought it was one of the best parts of the movie. The grid system and the alien bullets that looks like pegs.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Travis you are not alone in thinking part of it was caused by The Avengers:
"The Blockbuster That Ate Hollywood: Why ‘Avengers’ Is Crowding the Box Office"
http://thewrap.com/movies/article/avengers-hunger-games-and-tentpole-destruction-41156

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I guess Hollywood is going to have to cut back on the number of films they release because the "major" players are going to continue to kill off the "other" films. People talk about G.I. JOE being pulled but how much room is there for it (or many others) to make money? If you have THE HUNGER GAMES and then THE AVENGERS then you're still not left with much time because you then have SPIDER MAN and THE DARK KNIGHT RISES to kill off more films. If monster hits are going to take over complete months then studios really need to think about how many big budget titles they put in between them.
Again, I'm not an expert on the box office because I really don't think quality has anything to do with it. The board game aspect is what made me decide not to watch this movie but the reviews here changed that. It's funny but I still hear so many people make fun of comic movies and yet they're the ones making all the money at the box office. Board game movies might get looked down on but I do wonder how many younger people even know it's a board game.
It's funny but sci-fi is my least favorite genre and I've enjoyed the two biggest bombs among some fans and critics. This film about BATTLE LOS ANGELES. I don't know what that says about me but it's just confusing as hell to see so many negative reviews when I found both films to be fun if dumb whereas a lot of these movies are just dumb without being fun. BATTLESHIP really did remind me of those Hollywood films made during WWII where the pride of patriotism was waived right in your face. I could easily see John Wayne in the Neeson role and a young, heroic MGM guy playing the lead here. The entire film reminded me of something we'd see in the 1940s and perhaps that's why the old crowd I saw the movie with gave it a standing ovation at the end. I don't do that sort of thing but I must admit that I walked out of the theater happy that I wasn't the only one who enjoyed it so much.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
It doesn't surprise me that many of the film's fans seem to be people over 30 despite the fact that the producers were obviously targeting the under 24 crowd by casting Rihanna. The movie is, as everybody point out, based on a board game - something today's generation knows nothing about. I think it's safe to say BATTLESHIP will never air on NBC - they don't like old people :D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Basically more Hollywood recruiting propaganda. At least it was more entertaining than BATTLE:LA. These films never fail to amaze me in that the primitive culture always wins out, even though our own history tells us that the truth is the exact opposite. It also was one of the loudest movies that I have seen in quite some time. The game elements were actually incorporated fairly well. Satisfying as long as a person didn't think too hard. It made more sense than Transformers: Dark of the Moon: barely.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw it yesterday and thought it was passable entertainment much of the time. The climax was pretty good - absurd but exciting - but much of the rest was borderline idiotic and not fun enough to overcome the massive holes and flaws.
And I didn't think they developed the lead character well at all. One minute he's breaking into convenience stores for burritos and the next he's a Naval officer? Buh?

They should've made his brother wear a red shirt - his fate was preordained.

Almost nothing about the movie made sense. Still, it was better than any of the "Transformers" movies!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/313436/battleship-2012-starring-taylor-kitsch-and-alexander-skarsgard/60#post_3928919
Yes, there was a post credits scene as I was the only one in my audience that stayed to the very end. Let's just say that not all of those creatures were accounted for, at least not in Scotland.
I forgot all about this. I finally got around to seeing it today. Good popcorn film if you check your brain at the door. Unfortunately I had to cut out as soon as the credits started as the rest of the family was seeing Madagascar 3 (3D) which they all enjoyed. My wife said it was better than the first two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks