1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

76976_large.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    If this is just the two previous movies edits together I don't need it.

3. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Well-Known Member

Stephen
    It's probably not even that. Most likely the same 2 discs in one package. Sent from my SCH-S738C using Home Theater Forum mobile app

4. Derrick King

Derrick King Well-Known Member

According to WBshop, the run time on this is 156 minutes and has the following special features:

* DVD and BD: Frank Miller 70 minute piece exclusive to this collection only
    * DVD and BD: Cast and crew commentary created specifically for this release
    * DVD and BD: Includes all of EC from Batman The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and Part 2
    * BD: 4 exclusive collector cards with never before seen artwork

5. Ruly2

Ruly2 Well-Known Member

Josh
    The official Running time is 148min. Here is the Trade ad:

[​IMG]

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I never picked these up so I'm probably in if I find it for the right price.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

I watched this entirely just recently.

I will never in a world of comic geeks, and faithfullness to the source material understand how this got such glowing reviews(check out all the 5 star reviews on Amazon). It is not only baffling it is pretty disturbing.

It has its positive aspects like the voice acting, and the animation(both great).

That is where my praise for it ends.

I believe "The Dark Knight Returns" is one of the best comic series ever. It was certainly groundbreaking, and cool, and awesome.

So what bugs me the most is that people that have never read it will watch this incarnation and think they just viewed the series only animated.

Wrong. The animated feature takes so many liberties, changes so many key scenes of the comic it is laughable. Added dialogue, changed dialogue, no inner monologue for Bruce Wayne/Batman(THIS made the comic book great!) Embellishment for the sake of more action. Yikes! For a true fan of Frank Miller's Batman masterpiece it was like watching a train slowly derail killing everyone on board, and then a dangerous chemical leak from that train releases a toxic cloud around the neighboring town killing all the inhabitants as well.

For those that don't care about the comic book series and the changes then this is probably a decent animated feature. For me though it is a representation of the source material in the vaguest sense only. Why it was even made is a mystery.

8. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Well-Known Member

Stephen
    I've never really been able to get into the comic due to being put off by the grotesque artwork. I find it truly unpleasant to look at. I appreciated the animated movie simply for being able to digest the basic story. For someone only vaguely familiar with the comic, the movie works pretty well on its own.

Bryan^H likes this.
  9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    That was kind of the point of the stor in my opinion.

10. RJ992

RJ992 Well-Known Member

Joel
    Pretty much agree with you. I'll go you one better and say that I didn't even think the voice acting was that good...and that includes Peter Weller's Batman, which I felt was flat. They dumb down these adaptations so much (same goes for the YEAR ONE release which hid Selina Kyle's profession) that I have yet to purchase one. Makes me dread the upcoming KILLING JOKE release.

Bryan^H likes this.
  11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I wish they would dump these comic adaptations and go back to the Justice League universe that was on TV. I still consider that the best comic book adaptation. Batman The Animated Series, Superman The Animated Series, Batman Beyond and Justice League, they don't get any better for perfectly hitting the tone right.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  12. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I agree, Russell. I caught up with Justice League Unlimited, Young Justice, Batman: The Brave and the Bold and others on Netflix. I also love the original Teen Titans series. A lot of people didn't care for the tone of Braven and the Bold, but I found it refreshing.

13. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

I was talking to a friend that said the only thing to make up for this poorly adapted mess would be a Robert Rodriguez live action adaptation. Panel for panel, Like Sin City which he handled perfectly. Hard "R" rating(naturally).

Problem is where would we find an actor to play a late 50's Batman that is 6' 4, and muscular?

Well it sounded good in theory anyway.

14. RJ992

RJ992 Well-Known Member

Joel
    Af-lack! Af-lack! (hey, if it's true that he might be in for a trilogy, why can't it be the second or third film?)