What's new

Batman The Complete TV Series Limited Edition (11/11)(Blu-ray)(DVD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
FanCollector said:
The back cover copy includes a reference to "Bat Rarities! Straight From the Vault." Has that listing been part of the publicity material before? Is it possible that some of the desired contemporary extras could fall into that category? It would certainly at least explain Mr. Furmanek's participation in the set.
But what would be "Bat Rarities"?There's "in-house" stuff like the pre-launch promo reel,the Batgirl Test Presentation (a/k/a "Batgirl Pilot), Network and Syndication promos, the Fall 1966 and 1967 previews,etc. (and perhaps other Dozier pilots: "Dick Tracy","Wonder Woman" and The two "Green Hornet" screen test pilots)But there is other material beyond that - stuff that would need to be licensed such as the Merv Griffin appearances, The "Equal Pay" PSA (Both a 60 and 30 second versions), the Canadian Behind-The-Scenes footage (Which is priceless!), The 1989 Bat-"Marathon" Footage/Wrap Arounds/Interviews all come to mind.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I'm passing on this set. I wasn't that excited but the fact WB is lazy enough to release one of the most requested shows of all time on BLU - HD and release it with DVD quality audio it is not impressive at all.

People bring up how old the show is. Who cares how old it is! Age should have nothing to do with having uncompressed audio. I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Twlight Zone, Andy Griffith Show, and Little House on the Prairie get HD Audio releases! WB went cheap! I wish FOX could have released it themselves now that WB has went cheap.

butterfield.gif

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I cannot agree more, PowellPressburger. This should have been a banner release. Almost certainly, the video and audio have been remastered, and those elements should be presented in the highest quality possible.

300 minutes of restored film per disc with multiple dubs and subtitles is fine, IF you can also have lossless audio and supportive encoding. We can already surmise that one of those things will not be featured in this set, and to have a great video encode would only make the absence of lossless mono that much stranger.

This isn't about what "most people" care about, or whether you can perceive a difference between lossless and lossy mono, it is about what should be on the discs, period. As I've said before, the cost to do this release right would have been negligible. And clearly, WB has funds to jam the set with memorabilia and a toy car, so they had funds to produce the discs correctly.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Powell&Pressburger said:
People bring up how old the show is. Who cares how old it is! Age should have nothing to do with having uncompressed audio. I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Twlight Zone, Andy Griffith Show, and Little House on the Prairie get HD Audio releases! WB went cheap! I wish FOX could have released it themselves now that WB has went cheap.
I bring up the age because that relates to its being a mono track and you can't tell a difference between a lossy and lossless mono track. Yes, WB went the cheap route and yes, it should have lossless audio and yes, most TV shows of the same and earlier era have lossless audio. That being said, if I (and probably no one else) can even perceive a difference between a lossless and lossy track mono track, I'm not letting that deter my purchase. Others can and do have a different view.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm always amused at the things people will b**ch about when it comes to stuff like this.

People get mad for years that the show never made it to DVD etc...then when a studio and all the lawyers etc. settle things, and finally release ALL episodes in a nice tidy set with some fun/nice extras after all these years, the same folks start whining and whining about what kind of M O N O sound it "should" have had and how dare a studio not do it the "right" way or the way these people want/expect.

Come on folks, get over it. Would you rather just gleam the same episodes the old fashion way, via the "MeTV (non-HD) channel in random episode fashion and save to a DVR (assuming you can) and just enjoy it as is, or do you want the re-worked, cleaned up "HD" FULL set with fun extras to sit in your "home theaters" to enjoy in all its Batty goodness?? I'm betting you all want the later...so can we quite whining about the "what ifs" or "they should have...!!" talk and just enjoy the fact that this awesome piece of nostalgia is FINALLY available at any local DVD/Blu Ray store for a fair enough price.

I know I've got this on my Santa list and couldn't care less what the heck kind of Mono sound it has! :)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Alf S said:
I'm always amused at the things people will b**ch about when it comes to stuff like this.

People get mad for years that the show never made it to DVD etc...then when a studio and all the lawyers etc. settle things, and finally release ALL episodes in a nice tidy set with some fun/nice extras after all these years, the same folks start whining and whining about what kind of M O N O sound it "should" have had and how dare a studio not do it the "right" way or the way these people want/expect.

Come on folks, get over it. Would you rather just gleam the same episodes the old fashion way, via the "MeTV (non-HD) channel in random episode fashion and save to a DVR (assuming you can) and just enjoy it as is, or do you want the re-worked, cleaned up "HD" FULL set with fun extras to sit in your "home theaters" to enjoy in all its Batty goodness?? I'm betting you all want the later...so can we quite whining about the "what ifs" or "they should have...!!" talk and just enjoy the fact that this awesome piece of nostalgia is FINALLY available at any local DVD/Blu Ray store for a fair enough price.

I know I've got this on my Santa list and couldn't care less what the heck kind of Mono sound it has! :)
I couldn't agree more and if this thread is going to turn into a "what they should have done" when no one has even had a chance to view/listen to it yet, then I'll gladly unfollow this topic and just wait to enjoy the set when it arrives in November. Once the set is out and available posters can complain all they want about what they are seeing/hearing rather than what they think they will be seeing/hearing. Thanks.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Alf S said:

I completely agree! This is on my Christmas list and once I receive it, I plan to enjoy it without complaint. I've waited too long for this release to worry about whether it has lossless audio or not (whatever that is). I'll be grateful to have remastered, uncut episodes to enjoy.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Heck most of this show (sets etc) looks to be made with duct tape and cardboard, do ya think the audio folks set up a full on home theater/movie theater sound set up on stage back in the day? NO. Especially knowing America was watching this show on a 19" Zenith TV with a little 5" mono speaker!!

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
And yet, when you see the remastered video, you will all go "Wow, I never thought it could look this good!" And I'm sure the audio will sound better, as well, just not as good as it could, had Warner done things properly.

But I guess music that was professionally recorded to analog systems 50 years ago does indeed suck (heaven knows it couldn't have been the TV technology available to viewers at the time) and doesn't deserve to be heard in a high-definition format.

Somebody should send Deutsche Grammophon and Apple (Records) a letter and tell them to start issuing all their catalog music as remastered MP3 format only. After all, I'm sure the expense of those CDs, vinyl records, and Blu-ray audio and video discs is quite great, and most people only download their music now anyway.

It's upsetting to see the gross imbalance that people have with video vs, audio on Blu-ray. If the video were 720p, people would be outraged, but on the other hand, DVD-quality audio is just fine. I don't think it's unfair with any Blu-ray release to ask for audio quality that matches video quality.

In any event, my apologies for hijacking this thread somewhat, but I have said my piece. If others don't agree, then that is their choice. As for me, I have no desire to support releases that are half Blu-ray quality.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I understand completely where Sean is coming from. I am buying this and will likely be happy with it, but given the price and the high profile of this release it is disappointing that WHV has seemingly gone the easy way out by cramming multiple episodes on a single disc, audio that doesn't reach its full potential, etc. Personally I would have forgone the box o' junk trinkets and have the A/V quality maximized.

Of course we won't know until reviews appear and we see these on our own equipment if WHV's approach has materially affected the final product. I'm an optimist so I still believe the pluses will outweigh minuses.

Also, still hoping word gets out about the "bat rareties from the vault" soon.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Alf S said:
On a side note, and since we are talking about the classic TV series....

I saw this for sale at Hallmark last weekend. The new Christmas 2014 Dancing (Batusi) Batman ornament. :)

holy-hit-tv-show-batman-root-1495qxi2463_1470_1.jpg
That is actually based off the picture that was on Life magazine during the height of the show's popularity.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
For those interested, Germany already has a set apparently without the swag for pre-order, to release November 20th, 2014. An edition with swag is listed as an Amazon.de exclusive, but has yet to go active.

Anyway, the apparent "non-swag" edition dropped down to €94,99, and with VAT removed, and Amazon.de's low €3,00 shipping to the USA, the total cost for the set is €82,82 shipped, or roughly $107.

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
It amazes me how many people (elsewhere on the internet, not on this board) seem less interested in watching the episodes for the performances and the dialogue, etc., but are more concerned with studying them so they can get new specifications for their cowls, capes, mock Batmobiles, etc. I mean, to each his/her own, but it boggles my mind how many people seem more interested in the costumes, props, trappings of the show than the actual show itself.

I plan to watch the actual show and enjoy it in its remastered color and glory.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I couldn't agree more and this is why I had such a negative reaction to the bonus content when it was announced because it was more concerned with catering to an element of fandom that practically treats the show itself as an afterthought. I will grant that Warners has never been the best of studios when it comes to bonus content for TV releases, but "Man From UNCLE" had far superior bonus content when they did that.In the end, the bonus content won't matter to me when I get my set because it's the episodes and stories that do matter most for me.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
The German sets are no longer available to pre-order by the looks of things.

It is really very odd that thusfar, in the UK, all we have is the BluRay fancy edition, and that's Amazon only.

Obvously I can always order any US DVD sets but unless things change they are guaranteeing losse sof sales in the Uk by not offering a standard "budget" DVD version for people on limited means or casuals to buy.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
moviebuff75 said:
I wish they would include the IN COLOR bumper at the beginning of episodes, the "Next Week's Villain" bumper at the end, and the original 20th Century Fox closing logo (they can put a WB one on after that, as long as the original version of the FOX logo is there.) Unfortunately, even if the FOX logo is there, it will probably be an updated one. And we can most likely forget the ABC bumpers at the start and end. Just dreaming here!
Nobody needs to see that stuff (the 'In Color' bumpers' or the ABC bumpers) on the DVD. The end credit logos and the "Next Week's Villain" bumper are okay. Heck, you don't even see those on DVD's of recent shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks