What's new

Batman Forever - The Schumacher Cut (1 Viewer)

Brad M

Second Unit
From Batman-On-Film:

Warner Bros. is very pleased with the sales of the recent Superman 2: The Donner Cut, So…they are looking into other potential films to re-cut/edit. And you guessed it Batman Forever came up.

It looks like, if it's ever going to happen now is the time. Schumacher has been contacted, and this is something he's wanted to do since announcing it back in 1998. Now I don't know if this is a extremely serious ‘going to happen’ situation, but it's very likely.

http://www.batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

Does this mean there is additional deleted footage that was not on the last dvd?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Essentially, the so-called extended "Schumacher Cut" of Batman 4Ever (some 50 extra minutes, if I recall correctly) was originally supposed to have been done for inclusion in the October '05 mega-box set, but ultimately fell through for various political reasons.

Wouldn't surprise me that they're re-re-considering doing it, though.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, if there was a time to do it, it would've been back when they released the 2-disc SEs of all the Bat-films. I was really interested in seeing it a few years ago and was pretty pissed it didn't happen since I believe the director's cut was something promised very early on in the DVD format. Having seen the deleted footage on the current SE, I don't know. The material was somewhat disappointing, though it may have something to do with the rough form of the deleted scenes. Maybe with some decent color grading, that mechanical bat won't look so ridiculous and with some proper sound fx and music, some of the other deleted scenes will hit a better note.

If it does happen, i'll be willing to check it out. I really enjoy the movie and think it was probably the richest exploration of the Bruce Wayne character until Batman Begins comes out. And also, if it does happen, maybe they can trim some of the Tommy Lee Jones/Jim Carrey over the topness.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
About time. I may not entirely liek the film, but I wonder if an extended cut will make it better. By the way, Kilmer wasn't a bad Bruce/Batman.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Groan. The further Schumacher is kept away from these films, the better. I hope it's called "Batman Forever: The Version That Doesn't Suck."

All kidding aside, it is great of Warners to give directors a shot at completing their visions of their movies. Perhaps those execs who make the decisions to force cuts and changes in the first place could learn a thing or two from all this.

Jim C

Second Unit

There is so much more deleted footage that was not presented on the special edition DVD - in fact, much of the best deleted material was left off for some strange reason (may have been a financial thing). And I think you are right - the footage that was shown was of such poor quality, it would be hard to judge how well it would sit if it were put back into the movie in a complete 'finished' and edited state :) .

I really hope this one comes to pass. I'm a huge fan of the film, despite it's flaws, and feel the movie deserves the same treatment as The Donner Cut received last year.

Regards
JC

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
If this happens, I guess it will be tied in with the home video release of THE DARK KNIGHT. It will be interesting to see, but I'm so thrilled with the direction Nolan is taking that I've lost quite a bit of interest in the other Batman films.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It's definately an interesting idea, considering how reviled Schumacher is. I'm not sure it's going to have the same "OOOOHHHH" factor as The Donner Cut of Supes II because the "legend" of a director's cut hasn't had years upon years to simmer through the movie community (let alone the general populace).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Easily the best Batman film of 1995 but I'm not sure if I can sit thru another hour of Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones mugging away.

Reviled by who? Comic book geeks? Batman fans? I've enjoyed Schumacher's The Lost Boys, Flatliners, Falling Down and Phone Booth wasn't too bad either.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Yes and yes. Personally, I don't find anything wrong with the films he's done. He takes full responsibility for whatever did go wrong with his two Batman films. But comic and Batman fans, as far as I know, don't like what he did to the character.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I can see it now....

BATMAN FOREVER: The Neon Nipples edtion

:)

Sorry, Schumaker (& whomever told/allowed him to do it) ruined the franchise. We can thank Spider-man for forcing Warner to try again.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I thought it was going to be called Batman Forever: the sh*tmaker edition.

Jacob

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I passed on the recent Forever disc in the hopes that someday this would see the light. It's really the only way I'd be interested in seeing the film again. I imagine someone will ask the team from WBHV about it in the upcoming chat.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I'd add "Tigerland" to that list too.

I'd check this out, but it's far from a must see for me. but then I'm the comic nerd Steve mentioned previously, I watch all the crap comic book adaptations....

[paddles off to watch "Invinible Iron Man"...]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks