What's new

Batman Animated DVD Release Date? (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
The one thing that is sourly missing from this set that I loved about the single disc releases are the conversations with Bruce Timm bits.
I enjoyed hearing him talk for a couple minutes about each episode.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Picked this up at Future Shop - thanks for price posting my fellow Canadians! - yesterday and watched On Leather Wings.

Great sound and for the most part picture quality. From the posts here it seems that the approach taken with the art of the show is going to make any blemishes more apparent. Nothing too distracting and quite solid for the majority of the time.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

Have a listen to the commentary for "On Leather Wings." The artifact and blemish problems are discussed.

De

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
OK... I haven't really had a chance to get a good look at the set, and I can see the blemishes on some of the cells... anyway I'll report back after I have given it a thorough working out. :)

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
I think the blemishes, dust, scratches are better than having it perfect. Digital coloring has spoiled the cartoon fan. We don't get that great handpainted feel anymore and I don't think this show would've worked if everything was digitally colored. Give me traditional handpaint anyday.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Yes, I'll take back what I said.

Having watched 3 episodes plus Leather Wings twice, I fully understand why the pic quiality is the way it is.

I am delighted. Now, do we have any idea of sales, future Volume releases??? I'd hate to see Warner suddenly drop the releases.

Superman
Justice League
Batman Beyond

I'd buy them all!

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
More are coming. The sales of Volume 1 are far exceeding was WB ever espected, especially topping out at #3 on Amazon.com's bestseller list.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Why are they surprised? We told them for years that we'd buy the thing if they put it out there :)

I really like that they went with production order on this set. I know lots of people prefer air-date, but I really like the way that you can see the show develop from a story and production perspective when they're in this order, even if it means that the early part of the set is stacked with more mediocre episodes.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
And with all the positive word of mouth coming from this set, I expect WB to keep em coming too.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I'm not surprised. As I posted in a thread a year or so back, the bootleg/homebrew sets of the series were going for over a hundred on eBay. Of course, the bootleggers added neat touches like making metal cases for them, but the point remains.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Just bought the box set yesterday, loving every minute of it so far. Just a couple questions:

In the Grey Ghost Episode, is the voice of the Grey Ghost Adam West? It sounds an awful lot like him...

Maybe Jim can answer this, but has there been any info about Vol 2? Maybe in time for Christmas??

EDIT: Just watched the credits for that episode; sure enough, it's Adam West

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
That is indeed Adam West voicing Simon Trent, aka The Gray Ghost! Good ear!

As for Volume Two, I've heard it's already in production, but with no steady release date planned. I'd like to think that WB will release it intime for the 2004 holiday season, but don't hold your breathe.

They got that huge Looney Tunes DVD for November so I wouldn't be too sure to see Volume 2 then. I'd expect to see it in late 2004/early 2005. That's the best I can do for now, but I'll see what I can dig up for you fine folks. But WB is very happy with sales...so maybe they'll surprise us all!

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for the quick response Jim; good to hear sales are pleasing to them. Maybe it'll encourage another release befoer the years end

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
You just caught me at the right time. The sales for the multi-disc set are blowing the single-disc sales out of the water. Peaking at #3 on Amazon caught alot of people completely off-guard (including myself, to be honest). Expectations are now equal to that of the Looney Tunes Gold Collection set!

But single disc sets are still doing just fine. Infact, I just recevied the single disc Justice League: Starcrossed The Movie DVD, comprising of Justice League episodes #50 - 52 and it's surprisingly good. The option for widescreen or fullscreen is very welcome, and the extras aren't that bad at all.

The deleted scenes clock in at just under 5 minutes and are pretty much extensions to scenes already in the "movie"...aka three-part episode. There are new scenes added to the League's escape, GL's fight with "Hawkman," Martian Manhunter's mindprobe, and Batman's suicide run. The last two are animated storyboards.

The featurettes are just fine. "Tour the Watchtower" is a glorified clip segment, with storyboard art, show clips, and info we already knew. The "Hawkman" featurette is great, albeit breif. Some nice info and even an appearance from Alex Ross! "Watchtower" runs under four minutes, "Hawkman" under eight minutes.

The DVD contains trailers for Starcrossed DVD, Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, Superman: Last Son of Krypton, Samurai Jack, and Scooby-Doo.

It's a good DVD and probably the best one for the Justice League so far. Here's hoping the October JL DVD can top it. With any luck, Toon Zone will have a more indepth review of the DVD within the next few days. It streets on July 13th.

Rob T

Screenwriter
It's nice to see my 2 favourite shows as a kid (Batman & B5) have blown WBs sales expectations out of the water. I look forward to more sets and I would definitely buy sets of Batman Beyond, Superman: TAS, Justice League, Static Shock and the Gotham Girls web show.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I picked up this set and I almost picked up the Superfriends set but I haven't really seen any of this series. All I have seen is the Wendy & Marvin and Wonder Twins version which are the ones that I really want. They never seem to show this version on Boomerang.

Any word on if the Superfriends set is doing well enough to warrant releases of the other two versions? To those who got the Superfriend series along with Batman, how is it?

Paul

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
OFF topic but Boomerang is showing the many season incarnations of Superfriends in July on every Friday all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks