What's new

Basement bookshelf and ceiling speakers? (1 Viewer)

conan126

Auditioning
Real Name
John Purnell
Thanks to all who have seen and answered this question before. Finishing the basement and there will be an entertainment center built in for me to place bookshelf speakers and center. My dilemma is what to to do for the surround? I will prewire it for 7.1, but I don't know if I can place side bookshelf, let alone the rear. Wife really wants it somewhat clean.

Distance from TV approx. 10 feet.

Option 1) Install side speaker (left above dv fireplace) right near post/soffit. (Fireplace is between 2 windows, 12 feet from viewing wall)

Option 2) Install ceiling speakers (where and what).

I have been looking at Definitive Speakers 1000 for the front and then 800/600 for the sides. And the main listening coach will be about 2 feet closer to the right (can't do dead center for the sides due to soffit)

Basement is a 16' x 40' space with the soffit 13' from external wall and there is a 12' x 14' space for bar/kitchen offshot directly across from fireplace)

Any thoughts, direction would be appreciated.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome John

While you have a rather large space which is much longer than it is wide you don't necessarily want to place your 7.1 speakers on the perimeter of that space. Use this guide to help you

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

Your task is to create a surround sweet spot that will be your prime seating area will be contained.

I would suggest that you view the 7.1 guide set your seating for 10' from the TV and then figure out how best to place your speakers to come as close to the dolby guide as possible. Most receivers these days come with some sort of room correction software that can adjust your speakers for your seating area being off center. Use the software rather than try to place the speakers to make up for this.

conan126

Auditioning
Real Name
John Purnell
Thanks and I checked it out. I won't be able to place the side side speakers at ear level but will have to aim them. That is my quandry with the built in ceiling speakers. I thought about Polk RCi80's for the side and rear, but will I significantly lose any benefit of the surround? I believe they have directional tweeters so I can aim them. Any thoughts on those? And then do I have to go with Polk for the center and bookshelf? If so which ones.

I like the sound but I am not an aficionado.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I have a 5.1 system and did my speaker research to built that kind of a system. However, I think most who have a 7.1 system would recommend that your first choice would be to use the same speakers for both your surround and rear speakers. If it were my room and you like the sound of the Polk RCi80's then I would use them for both surround and rear speakers even if it meant that you would have to mount them higher than ear level. I would not choose to put in-ceilings into the mix, but that is only my opinion.

One does not have to be an aficionado to try to set up their equipment so that is performs as a system. Since Dolby Labs are at the core of the surround experience it is only logical that you would want to follow their guidelines as best you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks