What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ronald Epstein said:
Schan,

Yeah, those companies release stuff that is far more obscure.

I suppose what I was trying to say is that I don't tend to find that
many Criterion titles that appeal to my tastes. However, my tastes
are more mainstream than most.

Not a knock against the company. Just that I rarely ever have the
urge to purchase a Criterion release. Bought 3 or 4 of their DVDs
in the past 15 years and I own only 2 of their Blu-rays (THE BLOBand SEVEN SAMURAI).

I think Criterion has always released a lot of "obscure" art house type films; lots of foreign films. But in the laserdisc days, it seemed they could get rights to far more moives than they do now, so their over-all catalog looked a little more mainstream back then. Also, Criterion essentially invented home video "special editions". Once digital discs became mainstream, pretty much anyone could do a Criterion-ish version if they wanted to.

After this sale, I've probably got around 15 or so Criterions on Blu. I got three on this sale. Can't think of any more "gotta haves". I almost went for Wild Strawberries, but I've already got the Criterion DVD and I think I've only watched that once or twice. I'm trying to break myself of the habit of impulsively buying films I may not watch very often.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
As the market changes, look for Criterion to get back to the more mainstream titles they haven't had access to since the Laserdisc days.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My first Criterion laserdisc was 2001: A Space Odyssey which I bought in 1988 or 89. How mainstream, yet still considered an influential film, is that? :). The extras included actual NASA footage and stuff that most would consider boring. The Great Escape was another high mass audience appealing film with the Sturges commentary. As was Blade Runner and Forbidden Planet were two more favorites. And of course, the first three Connery Bond films with the audio commentary that was later removed. I still have those discs, with the commentary which I bought the week of release. It's a shame many of those, including Robocop are not available anymore for use on blu ray. Though the early Bond films are very well done today. As is Blade Runner and Fordidden Planet. But the Criterion extras for Forbidden Planet we're exemplary.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My first Criterion laserdisc was The Magnificent Ambersons which I bought at Ken Crane's in Torrance on a Saturday morning in December 1986. (I just happen to remember that very first shopping trip upon getting my first LD player!)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My first laserdisc- Criterion or otherwise- was Halloween. Oddly enough, Halloween was also the first DVD that I owned (the 1997 disc which was staggeringly awful) and it was the first Blu-ray that I bought. I guess once Halloween is available, I feel it's time to move into that new format. :)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I forget what my first Criterion LD was I think it may have been Close Encounters or the Blade Runner set. 2001 wasn't far behind.
The major extra large Fantasia boxset was what finally pushed me over the edge to get a player -- always swore as soon as that was available
i was going to upgrade

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Hey Moe, since you like lists, how many of the 666 spine numbers have you seen? and I guess that's really two questions, how many of the films have you seen, and how many of the criterion releases have you watched?

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
I own many Criterions as i watch a lot of classic foreign films, but most are dvds. I have some blurays, but i don't like buying these things twice. I bought the Hitchcocks on bluray, and will get La Notte and The Spy Who cause these are great favorites.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ok, so when does this sale actually end. There were reports earlier in the thread that it had been extended---until the 3rd, I think. But when I stopped by a store this evening to pickup Safety Last! (because Mike said I had to ;-) ) they told me that it ended tonight. I said, "Are you sure? I thought I heard it had been extended." So they scanned a couple of titles to check and said that the sale ended today. I'm not saying they are right and I'd love for them to be wrong as I just got a couple of coupons in the mail. Anyone have more information?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
My first Criterion laserdisc was 2001 in CAV ordered from some firm out of Georgia who had the audacity to ship it to me out of shrink wrap. And it was $111. I guess the $14 discount was due to used merchandise. I quickly discovered Ken Crane's and ordered from them without a hitch for years, except the time that my copy of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World was delivered four houses down, and that was UPS's fault.

When I visited family in California in 2001, I noticed Westminster nearby on a map, so I made a pilgrimage to Ken Crane's which was now primarily a DVD store with some close-out laserdisc. I really geeked out, I later drove to the Santa Monica Pier, but it paled in experience to my shopping trip to Ken Crane's.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Adam_S said:
Hey Moe, since you like lists, how many of the 666 spine numbers have you seen? and I guess that's really two questions, how many of the films have you seen, and how many of the criterion releases have you watched?
I don't have the time to do that, since watching them isn't really the point for me. I like having them there for when the mood strikes to watch though. I'd guess I've watched around 20% of them though. Over the rest of my life I'll get to the rest.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DavidJ said:
...I stopped by a store this evening to pickup Safety Last! (because Mike said I had to ;-) )...
I had my second viewing last night (as I mentioned, with my 83-year old mother).

The original plan was only to watch the first half...but, once started, couldn't stop. She laughed and commented on stuff in the film all the way through. The past few weeks were pretty tough for my mom and me and watching her laugh through this film was one of the best things that could have happened this weekend! :thumbsup:

And as a bonus, my 28-year-old son-in-law also watched the film with us and was flabbergasted as to how Lloyd and Roach pulled off the stunts. So I also watched the "Locations and Effects" documentary on the disc again, too. He was very impressed with how the filmmakers were able to pull off such a grand stunt.

David: I only hope you can get out of this disc a fraction of the amount of enjoyment we experienced! :biggrin:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That's awesome Mike. It's wonderful how a film can help you have great moments like that with loved ones.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Question. I believe the sale ends 8/6, and I want Seconds, which, of course, comes out 8/13. Go on the site, it's full price. Go to the store and order for home delivery, again, full price. Go to the store and have them ship to store, and it comes up at half price. But you can't pre-pay. Will that price stick, or will they adjust it if it comes in after the sale? I wonder because how can you order a disk for a customer based on one price in the system, then charge a different at pick up?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Hollywoodaholic said:
Question. I believe the sale ends 8/6, and I want Seconds, which, of course, comes out 8/13. Go on the site, it's full price. Go to the store and order for home delivery, again, full price. Go to the store and have them ship to store, and it comes up at half price. But you can't pre-pay. Will that price stick, or will they adjust it if it comes in after the sale? I wonder because how can you order a disk for a customer based on one price in the system, then charge a different at pick up?
I have no idea, but if you can't pre-buy, I would go for that deal and if they charge you more at pick up, tell them to skip it. You should have some kind of confirmation with the $20 price right? They should honor it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks