What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
picked up medium cool, following and Wild STrawberries with a 5 off 50 coupon on my first go round. They didn't have babbette's feast so I stopped at another BN on my drive home and picked up Babbette's feast, Ice Storm and Tin Drum with another coupon.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
That's what I figured...so, theoretically, it would be $15 at B&M...right?

For some reason, I cannot find that title listed at B&N.com.

Thanks, David!
In theory, $14.99

10% Discount and who knows what other coupons you could wiggle through. No 15 or 20% available for now, but everybody is hoping
for tomorrow or at worst next weekend though these coupons have been far more hit or miss in store than normal. Many people scanning
without incidence, many people scanned/rejected, and some initially rejected but being allowed a manual discount.

The 8off40 "New Member" coupons have been far more accepted on all levels of discs this go round as well. I've been able to use it on
Shoah (not too much a surprise), Pierre Etaix (somewhat a surprise), and Wild Strawberries this weekend which shocked me since this is
the first time in the 3 years of that coupon I've ever been allowed to use it for a reg 39.99 title. The latter probably helped a little b/c I was
buying 5 19.99 titles -- 10% member discount, 8off40, 20%off, 15%off x 2, and a 5off50 purchase coupon with a relative minimum of effort.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Wow. Amazed that you successfully used it on any of those except Shoah. Especially the regular $39.99 titles!

I've had no problem on any of the $79.99 titles over the past year or so.

Y'all surely know this, but definitely be nice to your salesperson. When I get someone I don't recognize, I make sure to drop a comment to the effect that "I'm buying a real stack here which makes me think ALL these coupons should be accepted by 'the system'..." So far, I know only one store that reads the damned things and doesn't hesitate to disallow.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
anything with a pre sale list over $40 is valid for the coupon, just show them where it says that its based on the pre-discounted price. Pierre Etaix should always be good for the 8/40, but I dont like using them on $39.99 list titles either

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was more than a bit surprised, but the reports have been pretty steady of successes in multiple areas of the country. There are usually an occasional report of a store or a clerk who will allow this, but apparently several managers have not only allowed them, but even corrected clerks from denying it.
I've rarely had much trouble using most other coupons at my store, but this one has been denied at pretty much every turn for 49.99 and 59.99 titles. I did
get a one-time exception a couple sales ago on the last day for a regular 69.99 item.

I had given up even trying it a couple sales ago, but figured why not.

Definitely agree on the invisibility approach. If the coupon doesn't work, put it in my pocket, say thank you for trying, and hope I've got a backup 15 or 20% option.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
anything with a pre sale list over $40 is valid for the coupon, just show them where it says that its based on the pre-discounted price. Pierre Etaix should always be good for the 8/40, but I dont like using them on $39.99 list titles either
I don't know about definitely. If so, then why doesn't it work online (when coupons were allowed online) for anything that isn't priced $40 in the cart after the 50%.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I don't know how much clearer this can be:"The $8 off will be applied to one (1) DVD or Blu-Ray of the member's choice with a minimum B&N selling price of $40 - and will be deducted after all other discounts, including the standard member discount are applied. The B&N Selling Price is the price at the cash register before taxes and discounts, including the standard member discount, are applied"If I point that paragraph out, it's impossible to deny any $50 or $60 title on the sale.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Jumped on again and grabbed a second bunch of films since they moved up Devils Backbone. So my total for this sale is:

Shoah
Safety Last
Things To Come
Lord of the Flies
The Devils Backbone
Cronos
By Brakhage

I usually pick a risky title that I'm not sure about during these sales and this time it was the Brakhage set. I think I've had it in the cart on every B&N sale the past few years, finally decided to take a chance. I like animation of all types, and the little clips I've seen I thought were neat. So I'm hoping for the best!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Off Topic, but Safety Last! rocks. It looks amazing for a 90 year old film. And the orchestral score fit the film like a glove.

And be sure to check out the doc on how these silent age comedians did their location shooting to get the effects they needed.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mike, I think you just gave me the last little push I needed to pick up Safety Last!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:biggrin: That was kinda my intent. There's a lot of Criterion films I have never seen and don't know that much about.

I had never seen Safety Last! before but was familiar with Harold Lloyd and the still of the iconic clock scene. So, I decided to give it a try and was so pleasantly pleased. I am going to have another showing with my 83 year old mother who worked in a similar department store while growing up. I think she will love seeing the film (especially the interior scenes that take place in the store around which much of the story takes place).

I posted a few more thoughts in Matt's review of Safety Last!. You should check out his review, too!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
I don't know how much clearer this can be:"The $8 off will be applied to one (1) DVD or Blu-Ray of the member's choice with a minimum B&N selling price of $40 - and will be deducted after all other discounts, including the standard member discount are applied. The B&N Selling Price is the price at the cash register before taxes and discounts, including the standard member discount, are applied"If I point that paragraph out, it's impossible to deny any $50 or $60 title on the sale.

It's not impossible -- "The price at the register" being the critical line -- scan it and the price for a $49.99 is $24.99. The interpretation comes down to whether the "50% Off" is a New Price Point or if that is considered the same as a discount (like a coupon or %off or member discount). I've read the line out loud, I've debated it, and right or wrong I've been denied.

The problem then comes down if you're going to "Fine Print" the coupon -- then the manager has the right to read the first line "New memberships between xxx and xxx" and "One Time per account" part. Since it's very easy to find out when your membership started (or ends), once you start down the path even if you win Point 1, then you may lose Point 2 or 3), I'm pretty sure it's possible for them to check your purchase history and see if you've used the coupon before. Win the battle, lose the war -- sometimes taking a small loss now keeps you invisible

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the 15% and 20% coupon in the other thread -- none available for this week which should mean a good chance for new coupons for next weekend.

Next BN sale is usually around Labor Day, but it's variable from year to year what the deal is -- 40% of everything, 50% Top 100, 50% a select group, etc.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I know but the best part is that of all the times I've pointed that fine print out, I've never gotten called on the stuff you mention. But what does "before discounts" mean? If you look at your reciept - the register ALWAYS shows full retail as the first step before the CC sale discount. This is not a hard battle to win, in my experience.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got denied on the $8/$40 coupon tonight. But my store's system accepted the $5/$50. Go figure.
David Norman said:
Not a Criterion, but along a similar line have you checked out the Keaton Silent films from Kino?
Nope. Should I? :biggrin:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Depends, how much time does your wife want to get rid of you for?
Answer -- of course if you can find a good price for the Ultimate set. It's regularly dropped
to around $150 on BN site though not right now. If you are lucky enough to find it in store
and combined with some coupons around 125 wouldn't be too unreasonable.

Or you could get some fo the singles, but then you are going to want the others.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've been slowly going through the Keaton set, and it's pretty good stuff.

I'm at the point in the B&N sale where annoyance sets in. I always forget how shit their shipping is, especially to Canada. Still no sign on my initial order that is coming in 2 shipments despite showing as being in stock when I ordered it. My second shipment, also showing in stock and shipping within 24 hours didn't start leaving the ware house until 2 days later, and at the rate of a title a day, with one title "The Devils Backbone" being delayed an additional week.

Ridiculous they still don't have a handle on shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks