What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Today I was just catching up on a few of the latest BDs (The Uninvited, I Married a Witch, Eyes Without a Face), a few Eclipse sets, and a couple of older DVDs. This store didn't have everything I wanted, but next time I'll make my circuit of two of three stores and have a great day doing it.

This month's sale is a pleasure. Well, not that any are ever NOT a pleasure. But I got a great head start on it during Criterion's flash sale (Seconds, To Be Or Not To Be, and several others), so the pressure is off and I can enjoy filling some holes and delving into more than just the latest new releases.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
David Norman said:
It such a hit or miss sale. Try the same store with a different clerk and many times it works fine. Or try a different store if you have access to another store with a media department.
The clerk last night told me that if the discount is "already that high", it wouldn't work, citing the register's rejecting of the coupon barcode--as if he couldn't have manually overridden it. I even showed him where it said, "take an EXTRA 15% off".

B&N needs to have a universal policy in place, and make sure all their employees are aware of it--otherwise they could be accused of failing to honor their own agreements.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had a 15% coupon emailed to me from Barnes and Noble and it didn't apply to the Criterions I got. But the clerk did apply it to the Mad Men Season 6 set!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Peter McM said:
The clerk last night told me that if the discount is "already that high", it wouldn't work, citing the register's rejecting of the coupon barcode--as if he couldn't have manually overridden it. I even showed him where it said, "take an EXTRA 15% off".

B&N needs to have a universal policy in place, and make sure all their employees are aware of it--otherwise they could be accused of failing to honor their own agreements.
Sounds just like what usually happens at Best Buy. Depending on the store, staff, and seemingly time of day, almost anything can happen when you try and use a coupon or discount. There's no rhyme or reason about what they'll honor, or how a discount will apply.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I ordered online and picked up the following:

Seconds
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
The Uninvited
I Married a Witch
To Be or Not to Be

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Got the following online:

Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman 3 Films by Roberto Rossellini Starring Ingrid BergmanTo Be or Not to Be City Lights Tokyo Story The Spy Who Came In from the ColdSeconds

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
This would have been a silly question back in the day (like, last year?) but where in NYC are the remaining full-service (with media department) Barnes & Noble stores?

I'll be in the city tomorrow and just wondered if it's worth wending my way to one.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
This would have been a silly question back in the day (like, last year?) but where in NYC are the remaining full-service (with media department) Barnes & Noble stores?

I'll be in the city tomorrow and just wondered if it's worth wending my way to one.

From what I'm reading I think these stores all carry movies. 3
Tribeca, Citigroup Center, Union Square, 5th Avenue

You could also throw some items into the BN cart and do a Store search by zip code to
see if they are in stock. Within 3 or 4 common items you should have an idea at least which store have some Bluray.
Coupon use (no active available now) seem spotty at the latter, but several folks reported success at the first 2 stores

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Charles Smith said:
This would have been a silly question back in the day (like, last year?) but where in NYC are the remaining full-service (with media department) Barnes & Noble stores?I'll be in the city tomorrow and just wondered if it's worth wending my way to one.
Union Sq and Fifth Avenue both carry movies. My experience has been that Union Sq has been better stocked during Criterion sales, but that may simply reflect more foot traffic at the 5th Ave store.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks, gents.

It looks like I'll only be on the Upper West Side this visit, so, with the Lincoln Center store gone, I'll have to try those others another time.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Upcoming coupons (or at least codes) for this week. These will not work for Criterions online nor will it work for Preorder, but there are some other nice items in their Art House Sale that that will work for (That Obscure Object of Desire, etc). Most people reported success in store on Criterions will last weeks equivalent codes, but as always some stores and clerks refused to allow coupons on the Criterions or some POS computer just plain wouldn't allow it. November 14, 2013 at 12:01am to November 18, 2013 at 2:59am Eastern Time, and at Barnes & Noble stores from November 14, 2013 to November 17, 2013 at close of business. Save 20% Off One Item With Store Coupon 103551 and Online Coupon R7C7L9A (Supposedly this is a Non-member coupon, but many folksreported issues using this with a member account) Non-member (everyone can use)Save 15% Off One Item With Store Coupon 706451 and Online Coupon E8W9P3H There isn't a coupon for these two that can be printed, but if the clerk types in the code at the screen it worked well last week. You can print out the instruction at the main BN Coupon Thread which also has the now famous 8off40 and 5off50 Member coupons to print. BN MASTER COUPON THREAD There is also possible/probable coupon for 11/21-11/24 which will be 30% off If using a Mastercard to make a purchase. This will have a printable coupon and appears to be a generic (i.e. non-member multiple use possibility) coupon.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another quick update. Pretty reliable information that there will be some really nicecoupons available BF week. Last year there were 25/30% coupons available, this yearit looks like BN may up the ante to 30/40%.If one of my stores happens to get a Zatoichi Boxset instock then the potential discount could get itdown to $60.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
man that would be epic. They knew what they were doing it releasing it that week so they could get some pretty good sales numbers for such a high priced box - the most expensive single spine in the entire collection, taking over from Berlin Alexanderplatz.It's been a good Criterion day for me, just picked up 21 Lasers for $65, bringing me to 70 out of the 322 released LDs.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The question is "Will it actually be in the stores?" or will certain clerks allow an order with the coupon discount which would still be fine even if I have to give up the 10% store discount. My success rate isn't that good at ordering items and manually applying coupons. I ahve much better luck with in store coupons except the 8off40 version.21 Criterions of any type for $60 is pretty good. Just shipping 21LD;s is pretty expensive unless you have a local pickup. I think I topped out around 150 Criterion LD's and nearly skipped the DVD completely.I keep toying with the idea of starting an Eclipse Collection, but I just really don't want to mess with DVDs anymore.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yeah I purposely don't ever buy Eclipse because I can't just have one of them, I'd then have to get them all.When I complete the LD set, then maybe I'll do Eclipse, maybe.I've never had any problem whatsoever ordering things into stores and then using all possible coupons on them. That's how I completed all my box set needs last July, had them order stuff then bought it at the store like they'd had it in stock. Some stores have problems with people ordering stuff and not getting it, but if you call in to hold things and always pick them up (they can track it if you have a membership) then they will do it for you in my experience, just say "look I always come to get and buy the stuff i hold and order" Just make sure you don't let them do a ship to home sort of thing, you have to have it go to the store and then buy it like always for all the coupons and stuff to work.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Moe: 21 Criterion LDs averaging $3 apiece? Even in this day and age, that's pretty astounding. eBay?

I'm only keeping the LDs most special to me -- the ones not carried over (yet?) to DVD/BLU, those with unique commentaries or some such, that kind of thing. Maybe I've got others you can use, and you could have 'em but the shipping itself might be prohibitive. You live in what is still the Land of Laserdiscs.

P.S. -- You'll do Eclipse. :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
No, store in Burbank called Atomic Records. He was doing half off the tagged price.I've had a few people on other forums give me the Criterions they didn't want anymore and I paid for shipping, so if there are any you want to get rid of PM me a list and I can let you know which ones if any I need. My "regular" LD collection is trimmed down like yours, but now that I've completed the DVD/Blu Criterions why not do all the laserdiscs? I have a feeling that the hardest one to get will be Andrei Rublev as I heard somewhere there were only about 600 copies of that one ever pressed.If I do Eclipse it'll be a year or so down the track at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks