What's new

Baraka Blu-ray Disc problem (1 Viewer)

DanRevill

Agent
I was watching my brand new Baraka Blu-ray disc tonight, and during chapter 18, the disc froze at 1:11:40 for a few seconds, and then again at 1:12:10.
At that point the time clock skipped ahead in 30 second or so increments to the next chapter, 19, at 1:19:55. The image on the screen is the one from 1:12:10.
The rest of the movie up until that point, and after 1:19:55 is great and beautiful etc.

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced any issues with their disc?

For the record my BD Player is a Sony BDP-S350. It's just over a week old itself but hasn't had any issues with other discs.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Assuming you have the latest firmware for your player, there are two possibilities:

1. There is a compatibility issue with that player model and the disc authoring.

2. You got a bad disc (or something is on the surface of the disc).

HowardG

Auditioning
BTW, I too am having a lockup with the Baraka Blu-ray disc at around the 1:12:22 point using my Sony S550. The player just freezes on the picture, then starts again later.

However, on my 60gb PS3 the Baraka Blu-ray plays perfectly.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
There is an update for the Sony players available (generally).

DanRevill

Agent
Yeah, I updated my player, but no go. I talked to the store that I purchased the disc at, and they'll refund it or if I wait, exchange it when they get more copies in.
I also emailed MPI's customer service, so if I can get an exchange via them, I'll do that.

If it is a firmware/disc compatibility problem, any idea of how long these things usually take for a company, like Sony, to address - especially given that it's a non-Sony disc?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Depends on a lot of factors. Usually a firmware update represents dozens of fixes. If a prominent enough title has serious issues (like the recent James Bond releases) it can facilitate an immediate response. Baraka has garnered some impressive press for it's BD presentation, but it's not gonna match Bond film sales, so who knows when they may have an update that addresses a problem - assuming of course it's an authoring issue and not a specific issue with either your copy or the physical manufacturing.

DanRevill

Agent
So I exchanged my disc at the store, got a new one, and same chapter, except a couple minutes later, at about 1:13:40 it does it again. Crap for crap...then it skips from chapter 19 to 20. Oi. I'm guessing I'll just wait it out for a firmware upgrade or something. Hopefully it gets resolved.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
And: what is this "Remastered" version being offered for pre-order, supposedly to be released in a few weeks? Is it to correct this problem if it was widespread I wonder...? Maybe there was a problem with certain brands of BDPs... Surely can't be a new transfer, so probably a re-authoring.

Edit: I'm guessing this is a "bogus" new BD listing. Baraka: Remastered seems to be the non-U.S. title, and it's already released elsewhere, so I'm not sure why it's available for pre-order alongside the already-released U.S. version. I don't think it's a do-over...

chrisagon

Grip
Baraka and Sony S350 is a well documented problem. Some have speculated that the disc is warped from the cheap cardboard packaging. Regardless of the cause, it has been a problem on the S350 and some other players. Some people claim that laying the disc flat (out of the box) for a few days solved their problem.

I had the same problem on my S350 at the same place on the disc. I have the latest v10 firmware installed. After reading about all the problems people had, I returned the disc to Amazon and they refunded my money. Maybe Sony will have a firmware fix for it someday.

PS I have never had a problem with any other disc on my S350.

DanRevill

Agent
I don't know how widespread the issue is, but I know that MPI never did have the courtesy to at least email back and say, "Gee thanks for alerting of this problem."
I haven't tried the disc recently, but am gonna try this, "lay flat" idea and see what happens. I did put the DVD in a slip sleeve instead of the cardboard packaging, since I didn't want to risk any damage to the disc over time.

For what it's worth, no other discs that I own have been any problem. So it seems to be an isolated thing. If it is as documented on the SP350s as Chris has said, well, hopefully the next firmware will resolve the issue (I never did find any threads previous to me starting one on this site and googling when it came out didn't lead to anything at the time).

chrisagon

Grip
I have read at another post or another site (I don't recall where) that the producer of the Baraka BD is exchanging defective discs for newly manufactured ones that supposedly will work. You'll have to do a bit of research into contacting them, but that is what I recall.

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just returned it to Best Buy and they gave me cash back, even though it was opened. I'll wait and order from amazon.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I have an Insignia (Best Buy brand) which is a good one. Mine freezes and does not go on, it goes back to the menu. It will not play any of the last chapters. I will go back to Barnes and Nobles and exchange. They had a version that was not in the eco pack and maybe that is a later version. This is the only Blu Ray I have problems with.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Brian,

If you have no luck with Barnes and Noble, go ahead and contact MPI's customer service (phone or email) and they will readily exchange your defective copy for a corrected copy - I have just been through this process with them and it was very smooth. Kudos to MPI.

Regards,

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Thank You. I will try B&N today and see if they have the version that's not in the eco pack. If that dosn't work I will call MPI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks