1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Banana plugs?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Glenn_N, May 7, 2003.

1. Glenn_N

Glenn_N Member

My speakers have banana plug connectors. Is it better to wire the speakers with or without the plugs?

If I should use the plugs, are there certain brands that are better than others, and at what cost?

Where can I buy them?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
    Moving to Tweaks/Connections/Accessories.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Well-Known Member

Hi Glen.

Your speakers really have "5-way binding posts". These posts can accept bare wire, spades, pins, bananas and rings.

My favorite bananas for speakers are the Radio Shack dual bananas (2xx-308). These things take 12 ga wire in the side and clamp down on them to make an incredible connection. The solid spacer bar prevents shorts should a kid/dog trip over the wire while the power is on.

These plugs stick out 2-3 inches which is a bit far for behind your receiver, so I use the single bananas (2xx-306) for this end.

Note: not all binding post spaceing is the same. Buy 1 set of the dual bananas and bring them home to test spacing before investing in a whole set. These things cost about $6 per set.

Hope this helps.

4. Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson Well-Known Member

Banana plugs don't give you any better sound. They are mostly for convenience and the cost of that convenience can add up depending on how many speakers you have to hook up.

I would also suggest that you buy a pair and see if you like them before making an investment in them.

5. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Well-Known Member

6. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Home Depot sells a very nice set of banana plugs under the RCA brand. They cost $5 per set, and they are extremely user-friendly.