What's new

Bale looses it during filming... (2 Viewers)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I don't know. I think with them it's not just a job, but an honor as far as actors are concerned. And actors, especially the caliber of actors that might get a part in an Allen or Polanski film, turn down roles all the time.

And I could see an actor gush about how he would love to work with Polanski or Allen, but if you asked about Mel Gibson, they would say "Not with that Anti Semite"

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I doubt that any actor would turn down working with Mel Gibson based on occurrences in Gibson's non-working life.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You're comparing old scandals to recent ones. In a few years, Gibson will be where Polanski and Allen are today (if he isn't already). Do you actually know of any actors who have turned down roles in a Mel Gibson film, or are you just making this up?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

No, but that doesn't mean that no one has, and I never said Mel Gibson specifically when I mention that actors turn down roles all the time.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
In the case of Allen, it was Mia Farrow whose career came to an end when all of that broke out. The normal people never cared too much for Allen and that probably continues today. Hollywood still has a ton of respect for him.

With Mel, he has enough money (and guts) to do what he wants and he's shown he doesn't need "stars" to make money. I think the normal people don't have a problem with him at all and that's why PASSION made so much. Hollywood probably hates him (or a portion of them).

With Polanski, people should really watch the documentary but apparently he also dated Kinski when she was 15. Apparently he photographed other 12/13 year-old-girls as well. Why do people still want to work with him? I'd say because he's a great director but this goes back to the who you are and so on. If a drive-in director had done these acts then it's doubtful his career would have continued. Just look at Salva. Even Hollywood threw the book at Salva yet they give Polanski an Oscar and a standing ovation. I doubt many "normal people" remember him. If so I'd bet it was for the "sex with a minor" charge. Film buffs will certainly remember him for his talent even if it leaves a bad taste in their mouth.

I doubt this hurts Bale unless T4 turns out to be a bad movie. If it turns out bad then I'm sure some will go after him and McG. If they make a good movie all will be forgotten and the YouTube video makers will pick something else to make fun of.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

And that's what I can't stand. They'll give a standing ovation to a guy because he has some talent, but any normal person who did the same thing would be reviled for life.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit

I agree.

It's better as it highlights the absurdity of comparing the two incidents. One was between three people, no cameras, no sound recording and as far as I know, not one of them has spoken publically about the incident. How can anyone on Earth, aside from the three people invovled, know what was said, what wasn't true and what the ulterior motives were?

I should've asked if he was God, or at least a least a psychic. Does that have a good ring to it?

Even if he were there, there's no way he'd know that his mother and sister were out just to bring him down.

And where in any of my posts dealng with Bale's on-set behavior have I made definite statements about what really happened, or what was really going through their minds that only God/a Psychic, or at the very least someone who was there could possible know?

I know it was on the set, in the middle of a take, the shouting went on for three minutes, he said about 40 f-words, etc. It's on tape and what I heard was enough to at least have an opinion about Bale's manner and behavior and I personally feel he went way overboard.

I didn't need to have been there. I've heard the tape. If I said that after the tape ended, Bale went on berating him for another five minutes or that the DP didn't really get in Bale's line of sight and that Bale just cooked that up as an excuse to blow up at somebody and let everyone know who was in charge - and I stated it as fact, not as speculation - then the comparison would be applicable.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Happy to help.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator

Each situation is unique. We know a lot about Polanski's and Allen's situation, but not everything. It's very complicated especially Polanski's.

Bale's is a bit easier to judge him because it's simple. Anyone damning him to hell is silly, it's just a blowup and I'm sure he's embarrased about it and as long as he doesn't repeat it he should be fine. No one will really care in 6 months.

That's why most people don't damn Polanski or Allen, they are not repeat offenders. It also helps in Polanski's situation that the victim has forgiven him and want's the charges dropped. And for Allen that he still has the relationship with Soon-Yi.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I've get so disgusted with Hollywood when I think of the standing ovation for Polanski and contrast it to the non-ovation and actors turning their backs to the stage when Elia Kazan was "honored". Applause for a child rapist, compared with derision and scorn for a man who listened to his true heart and turned in possible traitors to his country. The world is surely upside down

That's ok, though. Because IMHO, aside from Chinatown, Polanski couldn't hold Kazan's megaphone.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, let's not go there with that political rhetoric that's might not be entirely true to begin with.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Fine. But even without the political aspect, the hypocrisy shown by the diametrically opposed reactions to Polanski vs. Kazan is cause for speculation on exactly what Hollywood looks for when "honoring" their own.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

True. Very true. Marry your stepdaughter in Hollywood, you get on the stage at the Oscars. Marry your stepdaughter in a trailer park, you get on Jerry Springer. ;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Both are forms of celebrity. Hollywood has no monopoly on hypocrisy. In the scheme of things, I'd say it's not even a top contender, but to pursue that thought would take us way outside both the thread topic and the forum rules.

I'm surprised you mentioned Kazan. Earlier in the thread, you neatly eviscerated the notion that there could be any valid comparison between Bale's outburst and the situations of either Polanski or Allen. Whatever one's view of Kazan's conduct during the blacklist, the same logic should apply. Those were major events and major crossroads in life.

What we're dealing with here is a bit of short-term internet fizz. It's interesting mostly for the attitudes it's eliciting from people in the thread. If Christian Bale is ever up for an Oscar, I doubt you'll find anyone protesting because he yelled at a DP once.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

But Michael, that was hypothetical. I said it was something I could see happening, not claiming it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks