What's new

Bald Eagles at Conowingo Dam, MD (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam,

I certainly understand the challenges in capturing birds in flight. It takes a lot of practice to just become average at the skill. Some birds are easier than others, too. Eagles would seem to be on the more difficult side. You appear to be doing nicely, though.

As I mentioned, I have not had the opportunity to shoot eagles yet. Most of my birds in flight have been larger water fowl, which are on the easier side to shoot in flight. They do not fly as erratic, and they also stay closer to the ground, which helps both in getting closer shots and more even exposures.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
Plan a trip to Conowingo MD for a November of your choosing, closer than Alaska =)
Funny you should mention that. My wife and I are discussing a return trip to Alaska next summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We went for our 10th anniversary.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam, have you been to Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge (on the Eastern Shore)? How is it for bird and eagle photos?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
This machine shoots eagles! :)

80-400vr2 by Kadath, on Flickr

Finally replacing my 1976 era vivitar 400mm manual focus lens wirh something a bit more modern... Plan to hit the Dam Sunday!
You can't shoot bald eagle protection act. But I see what you mean taking pictures of them is okay. :)

Nice DSLR camera.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Had my first experience out shooting bald eagles today! (well, Yesterday now!)

Blog post:
http://www.navesink.net/2010/11/conowingo-dam-bald-eagles.html

Full set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/sets/72157625302188513/with/5190819523/

These are nowhere near as good as those of crew from Nikon Cafe who go there almost daily. If you want to be REALLY inspired please check this thread out:

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=284371

If you can do it, please consider doing a day trip to the Dam! It took me 40 years to get there and all along these magnificent birds, which destroy the idea you have of them in your head when you finally see them live, our national symbol, have been less than 2.5 hours away from me. I'm working 20 minutes away and I know I will be back for sure, better prepared for the lighting and ready to see their beauty again in whatever light presents itself!
Giant Eagle or tiny Orca?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah. Me either. Was making a funny on that pic of the Eagle with the fish. Looks a little like an orca.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I keep hoping to hit that lottery, somehow I never seem to buy the tickets tho! =) Thanks for the kind words tho. I wish I had more time to spend there.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks