What's new

Bakshi's "Fire and Ice" (1 Viewer)

GaryEA

Second Unit
I finally had the chance to sit down and look through the Frank Frazetta: Testament folio that I picked up a couple weeks ago, and to my delight Fire And Ice was touched upon briefly.
In the write-up describing Frazetta's "Thor's Flight", a 1968 painting that was revisited in animated form in FaI, He laments that he would never do an animated film again, but "...if the right live-action movie came along I might consider it."
Anyway, the final sentence reads "Plans are underway to release Fire and Ice on DVD in the near future."
Not the most concrete of plans, but I welcomed it anyway. I would love for FaI to make it to disc so I can finally put my hazy magnetic copy to rest.
Thought some of you might be interested.
-g
------------------
"My life has a superb cast, but I can't figure out the plot..."
-- Ashleigh Brilliant

M

MaxY

Wow another one of his movies coming to DVD, I hope they get this one right.
I am still concerned about LOTR possibly not being OAR and 16x9. Still ticked that Heavy Traffic was 4x3.
He needs to be represented on DVD allready. We need Fritz the Cat, Wizards, oh and there was another great one he did that I forget the name of right now.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Gary, who laments that he will never do an animated film again, Bakshi or Frazetta? I for one would like to know just why Bakshi crapped out Cool World and never produced anything more. Maybe "crapped out" is kinda harsh, but Cool World just doesn't live up to his previous works.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Max, you talkin' 'bout Street Fight?
By the way, anybody got any comments on the American Pop dvd? Is it OAR? Anamorphic? 5.1? etc.
[Edited last by Ben Motley on September 03, 2001 at 09:14 PM]

GaryEA

Second Unit
Ben,
It was Frazetta. He has gone on record a number of times, this book being the latest example, that he wouldn't go into animation again.
From what I understand, I think he found the experience to be extremely frustrating, and when he felt that FaI wasn't as good as it could have been, it cemented his decision.
-g

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Ah, that I can understand. I never thought Frazetta cared to do animation in the first place, just never actually heard or read anything about it. Still, I wonder what's up with Bakshi. I mean, is it just that the whole 60s acid craze is dead? If so, he totally missed out on the acid ravers of the 90s. Damn, he could have made a killing. How do you think Telletubbies became so successful? Boy, did I veer off or what? Anyway, Bakshi's withdrawel from a productive life (as an animation producer) has always perplexed me.

M

MaxY

Ben,
Yes that was the other one.
American Pop was done by C T/S which means top notch. OAR and 16x9. :) I have it and think it is great.
Lets hope that Fritz the Cat and The Nine Lives or Fritz are done right.
And once again where the f$#@ is Wizards already. I just can't believe that this title is not on DVD yet.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Ah, that I can understand. I never thought Frazetta cared to do animation in the first place, just never actually heard or read anything about it. Still, I wonder what's up with Bakshi. I mean, is it just that the whole 60s acid craze is dead? If so, he totally missed out on the acid ravers of the 90s. Damn, he could have made a killing. How do you think Telletubbies became so successful? Boy, did I veer off or what? Anyway, Bakshi's withdrawel from a productive life (as an animation producer) has always perplexed me.
IIRC, he tried to come back to animation in the past couple of years but it didn't work out. I think he had a short-lived series on HBO called Spicy City and then he also produced a couple of shorts for Cartoon Network that would have been among the first wave of "Cartoon Cartoons" but CN was apparently so horrified by them that they never aired. I think he's mostly just happy doing paintings now. Fewer headaches involving censors with that.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'd love to see Bakshi's 'Fire and Ice' on DVD, a very under-appreciated animated fantasy.
The great Frank Frazetta worked on the movie, his famous fantasy paintings inspired many scenes in the movie, the whole thing is an animated Frazetta painting, great stuff!
Here's a good link, the original art for Fire and Ice by Frazetta...
http://www.wadhome.org/frazetta/imag...fireandice.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks