What's new

Bad vs. Badder Santa query ... (1 Viewer)

Stephen JJ

Auditioning
Can anyone confirm whether or not the "Bad Santa" DVD, the R-rated version, is the theatrical version?

I loved the film when i saw it in the theater - i thought it did a great job walking the crudeness/hilarity tightrope. But i bought the "badder santa" DVD and was very disappointed. Too much crudeness and too little comedy. So i want to get the theatrical version, if it is available.

Thanks!

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Yes, the R rated Bad santa version of the movie is the theatrical cut.

I personally loved the Badder Santa cut. I have never seen the Bad Santa DVD, only the Badder version.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Does anyone know what the exact difference is for Badder Santa, or for even Euro Trip Unrated? Are there certain sites that discuss this?

Ryan

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
I personally disliked the film but my brother was interested in it and we couldn't find the theatrical cut anywhere.

Not even in Wal-Mart.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
These are the changes in Badder Santa that I know of (SPOILERS AHEAD):

There's an extended scene when Willie is in Florida. He steals a car and robs a rich guy's home.

When Willie is having sex in the Big and Tall Ladies dressing room it's supposedly more "graphic"

Bernie Mac's death scene has been extended. In the theatrical version, the scene ends when he's rammed and pinned by the car.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Wanted to resurrect this thread because I had some questions about these two releases...

I usually buy 'new' releases from Hollywood Video for around $10 a movie.

At this point, getting a deal on 'Badder' will be difficult because I'm guessing all rental copies will be 'Bad' only.

So...are there more deleted scenes on the 'Bad' version?

I've read that deleted scenes on the 'Badder' are only about 5 minutes total.

I was hoping that the 'Bad' version includes those deleted 5 minutes, plus the other deleted 7 minutes that appear in 'Badder'.

There's really no reason that unrated material couldn't be included as deleted scenes.

Anybody know?

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Just FYI Frank, Blockbuster video carries the "Badder" Santa cut, so there's a possibility Hollywood does too.

$$$$, It's a marketing gimmick.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
I only saw the 'Badder' cut so I can't comment on the seven additional minutes (although if they are what is described here- they really DON'T serve to make the film any MORE vulgar or offensive, so I don't really get the complaint of the thread-starter here), but I can say that the 'Badder' exclusive 'gag reel' is a huge nothing. Very little of it actually appeared to be what you'd think it would comprise of (outtakes)- it's more... footage from the movie (okay, we saw this) and footage from the deleted scenes elsewhere on the disc (which are on both the rated and unrated editions). Definitely no 'bonus'.

I liked the movie. Didn't 'love' it, but it was good fun. Billy Bob was great. There's a lot to like in it (great 'tone'... outwardly mean-spirited, and yet-- it DOES follow your 'Christmas movie' formula, really), but I didn't laugh as much as I thought I might. Not as much of Bernie Mac as I was prepared for by the advertising (which is not to say I was pleased or disappointed- just a little surprised).

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
Why are people still discussing this movie? It was awful. Discussion should have ended at the theatre after you wasted your time watching it.:thumbsdown:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I haven't ever seen the DVD version of "Bad" I can't find a version like that online anywhere, in their catalog, etc. I can find it on VHS that way, but all DVD I find anywhere, including Hollywood Rental, are "Badder"

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
I saw both versions, and truthfully either version you get will be ok. I thought Badder, even with the extra footage, was on par with Bad. In other words, the extra footage didn't add to the story it just extended it by a small margin.

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
Like I said said it extended the story, its a crude and vulgar movie so you get a "little" more crude and vulgar, but it doesn't tie the story together in any necessary way.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Given the level of crudeness/vulgarity already present in Bad Santa, the idea that Badder Santa is somehow a degree of magnitude "worse" is sort of laughable.

If you're offended by Badder, Bad doesn't suddenly become a Disney film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks