What's new

Bad News on Parker Lewis Can't Lose (1 Viewer)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I just did an interview with Corin Nemec that's up at quickstopentertainment.com (Kevin Smith's website). I asked him about what's being done to get Parker Lewis Can't Lose on DVD:

“I was actually working with Shout! Factory to license the rights from Sony for the DVD set,” Corin said. Sony wasn’t willing to license the rights because the didn’t want to share the profit. My excitement was to be able to work with Shout! Factory and be hands on making the extras and be the actual guy to interview the producers, the writers and the cast members. We couldn’t get the nod from Sony so now we’re in a holding pattern.”

check out the rest of the interview

Venice-H

Agent
Thanks for sharing.

The good news is that Sony does seem to realize there would be a profit in bringing the show out of the vault. So maybe they'll do it themselves, sometime...

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I love Sony's attitude. Sony doesn't want to release it, but they don't want anybody else to do it either

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I always wonder how these people can take the steps to get the ball rolling on something like this when the companies they're dealing with simply have a no-licensing policy. It has to be a big frustrating annoyance all around.

Sony doesn't license their movies to companies like Criterion or Anchor Bay, that's a known fact so he should have known that it was a lost cause. Richard Linklater and Darren Aronofsky both expressed interest in working with Criterion to get two Warner Bros.-owned films ("Suburbia" and "The Fountain", respectively) released as part of the Criterion Collection but at least Linklater finally wised up and realized that like Sony, Warner Bros. simply has a corporate policy preventing licensing to outside companies.

Sure, Shout! Factory has a great track record with cultish shows but that doesn't mean they have access to every show that fits their sensibilities.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
It doesn't hurt to keep asking and annoying Sony. You never know when someone changes their policies.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Bram Stoker's Dracula was licensed to Criterion for a laserdisc edition.

A Few Good Men and A River Runs Through It had been announced, but never saw the light of day. But, they at least had seemed to entertain the notion of licensing titles back then.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, they weren't opposed to licensing during the laserdisc era but that's certainly no longer the case.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
That's too bad, but it's not surprising.
Is Sony going to take it's ball, go home and never come out to play?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Parker Lewis is my most wanted thing on DVD right now.
Especially if there are loads of extras, like trio commentary on each episode.

I'm just glad I have three seasons of it on DVD, which are old VHS TV copies, but at least I have them to keep me entertained until the DVD sets come out

Hopefully one day, when someone asks "Is Parker Lewis on DVD?"
the reply can be "Not a problem"

Real Name
Jim
I didn't like that show at all. It was too weird (in the Malcolm in the Middle mold). Parker was one of the more annoying characters, and it's amazing that Corin Nemec continues to work. I didn't care for him as Jonas Quinn on Stargate SG-1 either.

I will say that Melanie Chartoff (as Principal Musso) was certainly easy on the eyes back then, but other than her it's avoidable.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well JM, you're definitely in the minority here. It's amazing you even stayed with the show long enough to enjoy the charms of Ms. Chartoff! BTW, I'm also a Malcolm in the Middle fan- and don't get me started on Fox's failure to release the second and following seasons of it on DVD.....

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I think my favorite episode is from Season 1 episode 11
Where the guys find the hidden radio station in the school and Parker Lewis tries to get Donna Sue

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
All of my favorite episodes are from season 1. That was the one season they had that couldn't lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks