What's new

Bad News for Ed Fans (1 Viewer)

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
Ed is the only TV show that I would be interested in buying on DVD at this point. The way I see it, the studio isn't willing to take my money. I guess I'll just save it.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Well, hence the beauty of the home recording process that was invented 30 years ago. You don't have to rely on the studios to provide you with the shows you want to have, you can record them properly yourself when they originally air.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Dang. Who would have thought a show about a talking horse would have "music right" issues? ;)

Gary "actually, I thought Mr. Ed had a decent bass voice" O.

Chris Herrin

Auditioning
Ed is my alltime favorite show. I would do practically anything to get it released. The music is significant but I'd buy all four seasons no matter how many songs are replaced.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Why, VCRs came out in the 70s. Ed started in what, the late 90s? 25 years isn't long enough to figure out that if you like a show and want to have copies of it you should record it? My error.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

It's only late if you didn't buy your first VCR until "Ed" went off the air. If you had a VCR and didn't bother to record it, then the comment is inappropriate.

WolframM

Auditioning
Pretty positive recent interview with Tom Cavanagh:

Are we going to see Ed on DVD?

Tom Cavanagh: Yeah, I guess they're talking about it. Last I heard was they were close on season one. The stumbling block as it's like a lot of the time is the music rights. They were fortunate enough because of the clout they had as the Letterman's producers to get a lot of great music as one-offs, of course when you put those on a DVD that becomes a whole different thing. I think that's the difficulty. It would be nice; it would be helpful to have a little something to have a paper weight on the desk.

You'd come back and do commentary and stuff?

Tom Cavanagh: Gosh I don't know. That might be the death of the DVD. I'd like to hear what the producers have to say, that's for sure.

http://www.collider.com/entertainmen...17/tcid/1/pg/1

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, this is the same situation with another recent (and ongoing!) show, Cold Case- it boggles the mind that precautions regarding music licensing for DVD releases weren't made. Shame on CBS and the producers!

LCD22

Screenwriter
So that's who owns the DVD rights to "Ed"... NBC Universal. They don't have a great track record when it comes to clearing music, but here's hoping they pull a "Miami Vice" on this show. The demand is certainly there to cover the high costs of keeping all of the music.

I forgot that Universal has a licensing agreement with Shout. It would be great if these two companies could join forces to bring this series to DVD (ala DreamWorks'/Shout Factory's "Freaks and Geeks") especially since Shout's Brian Ward is a huge fan of the series and would like to help bring "Ed" to DVD.

http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/65/thread.aspx

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
It's odd that Mr. Ed music rights are a concern, because didn't they do a Volume 1 and 2 "Best Of" Mr. Ed on DVD already?

Jack

LCD22

Screenwriter

You're thinking of the wrong sitcom. "Ed" aired on NBC a few years back, and it's not "Mister Ed", the classic sitcom with star Alan Young and that talking horse.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
How's this going for you folks who didn't record the show?
How's it going with finally purchasing a 16x9 TV and joining the majority of us that can properly watch 4x3 content formatted within a 16x9 window, not to forget all the classic shows now available in HD?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
How's it going with finally purchasing a 16x9 TV and joining the majority of us that can properly watch 4x3 content formatted within a 16x9 window, not to forget all the classic shows now available in HD?
Never happen. I need a TV that has a top to it in order to have someplace to put my Emmy Awards.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
If I ever hear of a home theater enthusiast that was found dead under a collapsed mountain of VHS tapes, I'm going to wonder if it was you.

I do appreciate your fondness of CRT's and even of VHS tapes, though. A lot of this stuff even from the DVD era still looks best on a high quality late model CRT like a nice Trinitron. The technology did an amazing job of helping conceal flaws and I'd hate to be without my CRT's.

Even Mill Creek discs with a dozen half hour episodes spread across a single DVD still look nice on my Trinitrons, but look just awful on even a moderate sized modern HDTV from the extreme compression.

But I'd also hate to be without my HDTV's, my Blu-Ray collection, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks