What's new

Bad news about the Vincent Price MGM Scream Legends Collection (1 Viewer)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

HOW TO STUFF A WILD BIKINI was originally released on DVD in a widescreen version (with a P&S version on the other side of the disc). Later, when it was re-released and paired up with BEACK BLANKET BINGO, they accidentally used only the P&S version. So the boxset version isn't really 'corrected', it's just they used the old non-anamorphic widescreen master they already had from the first release.

Patrick...M

Auditioning
For me, having the previous Midnite Movies, the interest in this box was:
- Witchfinder General...FINALLY
- Updated anamorphic versions of previously released titles?...NO
- Exclusive Vincent Price disc...DISAPPOINTING

As a Vincent Price on DVD completionist, my decision to buy this set would be focused on the bonus disc of featurettes, since Witchfinder General is available separately.

The exclusive disc, Vincent Price Collection Disc of Horrors contains the already released Vincent Price: Renaissance Man (found on Laura). Since this is probably the bulk of the disc's running time, can someone comment on the length/quality of the additional featurettes: The Art of Fear and Working With Vincent Price?

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

Actually you're thinking of the 1997 A&E Biography on VP, which was on Laura, Heroes of Horror, and the Fly Collection, but yes its been on on DVD before. What would've been interesting is having the 1993 one that was complained about being done poorly (methinks?) and was "replaced" by this one. Renaissance Man is brand new featurette (27 minutes methinks), Art of Fear (12 min.?) and Working with VP (12 min.?) (exact running times in my review below since work blocks the site and my memory is ppphhhhttt). The disc runs about 12 minutes short of being the 66 minutes of reported running time on the case. Makes me think another 12 minute featurette was dropped, but I have no way to know.

Vincent Price: MGM Scream Legends Collection (My Review)
http://dvd.monstersandcritics.com/re...le_1358035.php

To answer Mr. Del Valle's question, I'd say they might've used 30 minutes (or less) of the 3 hours he chatted with the featurette makers, spread out over the middle featurette on Screams and the Fly Collection docs (appears to be from the same interview). Glad to see that you dressed in appropriate VP garb (red and black) with appropriate horror props in the backdrop ;).

My speculation is that a volume 2 will hit next September-ish with maybe Master of the World or Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl bombs (and prolly the AIP Poes repackaged) but I'm just guessing. I'd expect that they might be saving more interview footage for that (but again I'm guessing).

All in all, I'd have to say that I was more impressed with the Fly Collection and wondered if since those were "Fox" features they didnt get treated better and MGM (the redheaded stepchild) didnt get the proper dues (ie 16x9 enhancedment).

My other VP reviews (for your pleasure or ridicule ;))
The Fly Collection
http://dvd.monstersandcritics.com/re...le_1357613.php

Witchfinder General
http://dvd.monstersandcritics.com/re...le_1358048.php

zuccoman

Auditioning
Real Name
DAVID DEL VALLE
Thank you Mr. Swindoll for telling me this......When I was first approached to work on this project it was my understanding they wanted to license my interview with Vincent and place it on the supplementals for The Fly Collection and then of course the Price boxed set where it would have made more sense as we discussed several of the films in question.

However after I sent them all the masters someone from Fox finally nixed the whole thing because Price and I talked about too many non Fox films if you can grasp the logic of that.

I still have not received my copies to examine for myself but thanks to the internet I get the picture. Hopefully someone will get it right one of these days as Vincent Price deserves the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks