What's new

Bad DVD Cover Art (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Excalibur. It's terrible enough as it is, but knowing how awesome the original poster art is makes it that much worse.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
IMHO any cover art that features head shots is bad. Let's see some imagination used. :angry:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
"Bad" cover art doesn't bother me too much because I figure the studios aren't using that space to 'enhance' the viewing experience. They are really using it in a utilitarian way.

But I will agree that some covers do seem like they were thrown together last minute.

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
Forget a thread. Shouldn't bad cover art have its own forum? It's amazing how ugly some of these covers are and it makes you wonder who at the studio actually thought it looked good.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I like the simplicity of both the upcoming Panic Room and Pi art work. I have to agree that the "Big Head" syndrom is terrible!

They should just use the theatrical poster art. If the posters are good enough to get our asses into the theater, they should be good enough to get our asses buying the DVD!:D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I forgot about "Return to OZ" with the zombie Dorothy!

(I'm not sure how to post images, so I guess you'll be spared!)

Haden

Supporting Actor
Hahaha.... I love that critic quote at the bottom of the Return to Oz cover:

"Return to Oz picks up where the original masterpiece The Wizard of Oz ended..." - Rex Reed, New York Post

That's the funniest quote I've ever seen on a video/DVD cover, because it's not an endorsement for the film at all -- just the beginning of a plot description you'd normally see on the video's back cover! It's pretty sad that this is the best endorsement for the film they could use. :)

Bryan_Bortz

Stunt Coordinator
I HATE the awards shit on the covers...

It sucks they have to advertise the movie with the cover, put it on the BACK...

-Owl

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
HeHe. :D

The Return to Oz cover doesn't even have the right actress who played Dorothy on it!

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I'm going to go with "Brother Sun, Sister Moon" and the upcoming "The Name of the Rose" as being really bad cover art, to go along with "Gangs of New York," which was so bad they couldn't even measure the cover properly and the spine isn't aligned properly.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

umm am i the only one who thinks that what sandy dennis is holding looks .. "odd"?

Roger_R

Second Unit
Here in Norway, it's pretty random who does the final art for the covers. Especially the written stuff on the back. From the looks of it, it's the same thing in the US. Big heads is bad enough, but quotes? Why can't the studios come up with something to say about their own movie? And about that first Gangs of New York-picture...has Cameron Diaz grown a moustache? :)

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Bandolero! Granted this is being issued as part of the Fox Raquel Welch collection, but this western starring Jimmy Stewart and Dean Martin with Ms. Welch co-starring has a badly Photoshopped picture of her with glow-in-the-dark unnaturally white teeth prominently occupying the DVD cover with tiny unrecognizable figures astride horses at the bottom of the box which I assume are supposed to be the two leads, Stewart and Martin. Surely Jimmy Stewart and Dean Martin still have enough public recognition that they should rate at least some small prominence on their own film's DVD without taking too much away from it being part of the studio's Raquel Welch marketing push?

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I watched Goonies today. And it came out of a snapper that looked like this:

To me, it seemed the movie lost a lot of its magic since I saw it as a kid. (The kids seem to be all talking at the same time all the time, very annoying.) Take a look at the artwork there. There seems to be something realy wrong with each and every actor "painted" on it. Weird stuff.

Maybe I would've enjoyed it more if it came in a box looking more like this:

Then there's a movie that peaked my interest whilst browins a region 2 shop.

When I went over to my usual R1 store, this is what I got.

Bought the movie anyway. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Point is, if I had never seen the R2 cover, I never would've bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks