What's new

Backyard Theater (1 Viewer)

Bud Huey

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine and I just built a 300" outdoor movie theater using a canvas he bought off the internet and some 2" PVC for a frame. It is a lot of fun watching movies outside when the weather permits and as an added bonus I can smoke cigars while watching a movie without my wife having a mental meltdown.

There are a lot of great design ideas at www.backyardtheater.com

The only downside is moving the projector from the HT to the outdoor theater, but last weekend we watched AC/DC 'Live at Donnovan' and Angus Young was larger than life and rockin'!

Good Luck,
Bud

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
the big problems with outdoor theater are

light - wait for the darkness to be complete, and you'd still probably want a brighter projector.

sound - outdoor sound is almost always a loosing proposition; the sound just goes away (there's a reason why outdoor concerts have speaker stacks the size of mountains and generator farms to run a small city...)

And, at least in my area, bugs!

Leo

Bud Huey

Stunt Coordinator
Outdoor theaters will never match the picture quality or audiophile sound capability of a custom built HT, they are still a lot of fun and with a little bug spray, a Monticristo #2, and a good guys movie or concert DVD I am one happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks