1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Backing up external drive

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Eric_L, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Well-Known Member

I have an iMac and a network drive. I've been using the network drive to store my music library so that my other network computers can access it also.

I recently bought a RAID external drive (not networked) for my iMac both to store my massive movie files from my Sony HD Camera as well as to backup my iMac.

I would also like to have a backup of my music files. Is there an easy way to get time machine to backup not only my on-board hard drive but also the networked drive?

If not - does anyone have any recommendations?

-and yes - I've decided to take the plunge and start working on learning more about my iMac. I'm also researching networking (I found a few forums dedicated to it) and getting my three OS systems to freely share files.

(I still think there is money to be made if a coder could make an app that could simplify this across various platforms)

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'd use Carbon Copy Cloner and set it up to do a backup of whatever you wanted late at night...

3. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Well-Known Member

MichaelK
    Time Machine will only back up your boot drive...not the networked drive. As Sam mentioned, download a free copy (but donations accepted) of Carbon Copy Cloner from bombich.com. It will let you easily back up that network drive.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
  5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Maybe but I think networked drives are a totally seperate category.