What's new

"Backdraft" anniversary DVD coming (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

I wish Universal would re-do "Parenthood" and "The Paper" with anamorphic transfers also. They are probably too busy preparing another "American Pie" edition.

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
About time!!!
Con Air reminded me that Backdraft, Marked for Death (guilty pleasure I know!) and Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) are now the only 3 non-anamorphic discs in my collection.......as I'm lucky enough to be in England where we have a lovely Phantasm anamorphic 5 disc SE.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Well can we see a better transfer this time, there are parts during the opening of the film well a little forwards in at the beginning where the brothers talk on chapter 3, the sides of the frame are all messed up they keep opening and closing or expanding and shrinking.

Plus the framing is 2.02:1, not as I seen it in the cinema back in 1991, so maybe the studio that makes films, can stop jerking us around and get the framing right at 2.35:1, yes I know the film was filmed in the yuk “Super 35” process so get it right Universal please!

The sound mix on the first edition DVD is spot on, the music on the split-surrounds are monaural, while the sound effects are in “stereo” and they really whip around the cinema, as they do in the home cinema, dialogue panning and other effects like ambiance of exterior and interior sounds are great, the LFE.1 when it comes in at certain key moments in the films soundtrack reinforces the scene, where standard Dolby Stereo lacks the true discrete sound and the LFE.1 “Baby Boom” oh yes it would be interesting to see what it looks like what they’ll do with the film elements extra features etc, and the design packaging?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I used to own the first release of this film way back when I first started DVD collecting in the amaray case. It looked highly compressed for the single layer it was on and the transfer appeared like a straight dupe of a laserdisc from sub-par equipment.
I highly welcome this release as I've been holding off on a much needed re-release for this film. Hopefully it'll be a two discer due to the length of the film with a high bit-rate.
This is a definite purchase for me!:D:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
This is great news. I've been holding out purchasing this movie, hoping for an SE. I hope Universal includes trailers, and I'd really like to see an expanded edition, incorporating scenes shown on the TV version (features a nice scene between Kurt Russell and De Niro that was not in the theatrical cut).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
This should make a good HD-DVD. The D-VHS DTheater edition in 1080i was stellar.

- Steve

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Great news.
Now if only Universal would release a Waterworld SE.
These are the two early Universal DVDs I held off buying hoping that some day better versions would come along.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Do you think it would be possible for the studio to get Ron Howard Kurt Russell & William Baldwin together for an audio commentary, I mean hearing Kurt Russell is laughable, having heard him on most of the John Carpenter audio commentary sessions.

andySu

Senior HTF Member

I agree, the a newer version of “WaterWorld” the version on region 2 DVD UK is a bit wired, no LFE.1, still not that it matters the mix present hear on Dolby Digital 5.0 is wow, but the film was original released in “dts” but let’s take this one step at a time now shall we, I would like to see it happen.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Before WATERWORLD, how about a proper OAR release of PARENTHOOD, while they're at remastering Ron Howard. Even THE PAPER deserves better than 1.33.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You know every time I see this movie I want to bite into a yellow bell paper.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
What do you mean Kurt Russell is "laughable" on commentary tracks with John Carpenter? Their tracks are great!

I think he means bell pepper?:crazy:

I just hope Universal goes for a two disc release...

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I think he means that Kurt is funny on the Carpenter commentary tracks.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

"laughable" ? The great Kurt Russell "laughable" ? [bites fist] I love the Russell/Carpenter yak tracks. Okay the guy just can't help laughing and giggling on their commentaries, and who can blame him (ooh). Big Trouble in Little China in particular, Russell is practically rolling on the floor laughing while Carpenter is trying his best to explain how a scene or sequence came about. Maybe you meant to say Kurt Russell is 'affable' and I'd agree. :)

I hope Russell does do a Backdraft commentary, good film, better than Ron Howards recent efforts.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
This BETTER not be a dvd-18! And what will they call it, "The SMOKIN' edition!"
the "hotter than hell" edition!" ???

andySu

Senior HTF Member

LOL

No, no mate, haven’t you heard the audio commentary sessions with John Carpenter and Kurt Russell?

andySu

Senior HTF Member

See this guy knows what I’m talking about, he makes me smile he does, thou, I have no idea what an audio commentary track will sound like, if he did “Backdraft?”:D

I was have zzzzzzzzz’s when Ron’ did “Apollo 13” I thought “Jim Lovell” was much better LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks