1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Back To The Future W/S Framing Issues Here-

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Spero D, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

I did an A/B comparison of the BTTF I DVD (Region 1) and the Widescreen LD I had and, at least for the first 15 mins., they're identical to one another. In fact, other than the colors being superior on the DVD, there's no difference whatsoever between the two transfers.

Havent checked II or III yet...

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

James, have you thought of the idea that perhaps it wasn't the not-yet-released R1 version that brought it to the attention of the powers-that-be, but rather the months of complaints from the other regions? Maybe, after a quarter of this issue fighting its way up the chain-of-command, it finally got to where it needs to be?

3. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

David I don't really want to continue on this topic because I can see I seem to be making myself unpopular, so this will be my last post on the matter on either this or Ron's BTTF Trilogy review thread:

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    James,
    Unpopularity has little to do with it because this is simply a difference of opinion in which others might challenge your assertion as I've done.[​IMG]
    Crawdaddy

5. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I agree with Robert. What about all the R2 - R4 DVD's that are released in OAR, while the R1 version of the same films are in P&S!!

Back on topic. There has been no confirmation that there is anything wrong with the transfer. I have compared the shots, and everything seems to be perfect. We do have a rumor that someone overheard Mr. Gale say that there would be re-call, but it's just that, a RUMOR!

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Ok bottom line guys....is this transfer utterly screwed? Tuesday is almost here and the question is do we buy this?

8. MarcinL

MarcinL Stunt Coordinator

Yes we do

There is only 2 scenes I REPEAT 2 scenes that are framed wrong vs. the LD and proper aspect. just 2 scenes, and the word from around is that UNIVERSAL, will not do recall or replacement or nothing, BOTTOM LINE, its 2 scenes, most people wont catch it, those that do some wont care, and most never had LD or watched it widescreen and wont know, and some will buy PAN and SCAM so, UNIVERSAL will not waste money redoing 2 freaking scenes, stop moping about them and enjoy the movies, and if you want to boycott, than go ahead but youll be alone, cause im getting my copy tuesday.

9. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Lead Actor

Everything you've said here is false.

I have spoken with several people who have made the comparison and it's a LARGE PORTION OF THE FILM that is misframed. The theory is that only the hard matted effects shots were correct and the rest had centered mattes when they needed to be in other areas--- so only shot with VFX would be correct. This means hundred of shots, not two. The problem does not seem to happen for Part 1, but is glaringly obvious in Parts 2 and 3.

I'm not sure where you get your "word from around"-- but I would assume if it can be confirmed that the transfers are incorrect (and a word from a producer would be a good indicator) that Universal will do the right thing and offer a replacement version. I guess time will tell what the truth is here and what Universals reaction will be- but if I were a gambling man, I'd place my money on you being wrong.

-Vince

11. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

And I'm placing my money on you being right, Vince, since I will probably be getting the current versions for Christmas and the opportunity to get replacements of the corrected versions would be very appreciated by me.

12. NickFoley

NickFoley Stunt Coordinator

I guess I'll pass on this version, and wait to see what Universal does about the screwed up framing.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    i will buy this now and have ($28 thanks amazon.ca)
    because i may not be able to buy it this cheaply if it is re-issued.
    and it probably won't be re-issued but will have a "mail us your bad copies and we'll mail you the fixed copies"

and eventually the corrected versions will be in the stores but will it be discounted? i doubt it.

it will be regular price about $40.

14. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    I have the MCA Letterboxed laserdiscs and the new DVD box-set, and did a quick comparison between them all this morning (for the first 10 mins. or so of each film):
    1. BTTF II & III are *BOTH* cropped at the top of the frame and a little on the sides. It's as if the entire frame has been blown-up for DVD. The framing on the LDs seems much better balanced to me, IMHO.
    2. This does NOT apply to the original BTTF...it looks IDENTICALLY framed to the laserdisc on all sides.
    What gives??

15. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Screenwriter

Is the LD actually faithful to the original theatrical release? It is obvious that the DVD is different from the LD is some scenes, but assuming the DVD is incorrect is only valid if the LD was 100% correct itself. Who here has compared the LD to the theatrical print? Until I see such a comparison, it is really hard to pass judgement as to which transfer is the best.

J

16. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Lead Actor

Uh, isn't that the definition of "re-issued"?

-Vince

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    true i didnt word what i meant to say very well but i hope the giste of what i wanted to say came htrough. :b

18. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

19. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

20. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I want a statement from Mr. Gale and Universal.....anything at all. This makes me sick, I will be buying this dvd set on Tuesday, I've waited too long for it and we already invited people over to watch the trilogy Tuesday night....but I will be very sour about my purchase now knowing about all of these framing issues... I'm almost afraid that this will make some of the die-hard BTTF fans that I'm inviting over hate widescreen....the shot of Marty's tennis shoes in BTTF Part 3 is one of their favorites and they will catch on to that being gone immediately and say something akin to "see, widescreen does cut off a lot of the movie!". And I won't have any snappy rebuttal to give them because Universal obviously couldn't get their damn act together and botched what should be one of the greatest dvd sets ever.

Geez, this is rubbish. With this case, with pan and scam we practically get more of what the director intended us to see than with OAR and that's just wrong...