What's new

Back To The Future W/S Framing Issues Here- (1 Viewer)

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
For anyone who's interested, I thought I'd tell you that the other day when I was in K-Mart (I'm in Australia so these are R4s) I saw Back To The Future 1 being sold separately to BTTF Trilogy.
I guess this is good news? Now those who don't want parts 2 and 3 can buy just the first movie...

Paul D G

Screenwriter

I think you're making a big deal out of next to nothing. According to the letter posted on the DigBits website, you need to send the discs to Universal (now, or in Feb when the new discs are available - it's up to you - that's the "at your convenience part). They ask that you send discs 2 and 3 back without the case.

In the US, two CDs mailed without jewel cases in a padded envelope (size #0 or #00) is $0.87 (I know this as I just sent off a batch of 2cd sets in special vinyl sleeves last week). Just wrap them in a folded sheet of paper, they'll be fine.

-paul

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
what a great thing, I got this for Xmas and now I find out it has framing problems. I'm going to live with it rather than the hassle of getting the "right" version - sucks, but I guess I'll still enjoy it.
Damn you Universal.:angry:

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to hear that Universal is offering replacement disks... I dont see it as that much of a hassle to get the right version. Just call the 800 number, put the 2 defective films in a padded envelope, and send em off... I'm ready to go through all that to get proper versions of the films.

Brian

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
Before I start getting flamed, I just want to say, that I'm no hardcore HTF'er, I got bigscreen and Surround Sound and about 200 DVD's and thats it, I'm writing here in reference of the misframing, i know post exits but its full of negative things, well here is a positive quick word.

I have watched the whole trilogy with my brother, and family, I have not caught no misframing, like i said its no the whole movie, other wise i would have chopped heads and phenomena, The only scene I caught is the push button jacket scene, because i seen screenshot here, but other than that, there is no Misframing, from my view, I wont exchange the discs, becuase to me is no big deal, There is no legs or heads missing, and even though i seen screenshots of the Hoverboard, scene here in part 2, i could not catch the misframing, ITS good, COuld it be better, i dont know im not the expert, but i did not the picture.

What I'm trying to say, I would never know about the misframing if it was not for this place, so imagine people who dont come here, They will never know. No wonder UNIVERSAL went ahead with the release, Its not botched, if few scenes are messed up its okay, like I said for me the whole movie could be FUDGED UP, i only noticed the Jacket scene cause I seen it HERE!!!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Which begs the query...

"If the proverbial tree falls in the proverbial forest..."

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I agree that if I didn't know here that there was a misframing, I probably wouldn't have noticed. Most people probably won't. However, I am glad Universal is replacing them, and there is the option of getting them replaced, so I will return them.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
So you would support "open-matte" releases too...True, I might not have noticed the misframing, but I'm glad to know there are people out there who do, and make it known. I don't want a company selling me a product that isn't what it should be, because they don't think I'll notice.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Although I don't think it is right to release the DVD improperly. I have watched all 3 films 2 times and well it's no big deal. I'm just glad I got them, they look excellent. If there is a 1 sec mis-frame that I couldn't even spot without being anal I don't really care.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member

I'd check the other threads about the issue James. Supposedly substantial portions of II and III are misframed. It's worth getting the discs exchanged IMO.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
In the spirit of this thread...

I didn't know which difference between when I saw part 1 (were was to be contionued ha) and watched III but Two was ok dok. i can't beleive they cut out the part where the dilorian ran over the dog lol that was the best part wtf? lame UNIVERSAL butched this disc IMO

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
"If Lawrence of Arabia was color-timed in the woods, and Robert Harris wasn't there to see the results, would anyone know it was wrong?"
Probably not, although knowing that I sometimes wonder what exactly I'm missing out on with my LOA DVD, since I really don't know what color timing means.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the detailed description Keith. It will help me watch 2 and 3 without worrying too much. I may still exchange em in Feb, but I can still enjoy them in the meantime.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I must admit to not being a huge fan of the BTTF series, but if I were I would appreciate knowing of the problem before purchasing the set.

I have a couple of other titles that had multipage threads about similar issues.

Cleopatra had the intermission music missing from the right spot in the film or something like that, and the boos and hisses were reversed in the title sequence of The Great Race.

Both of these mistakes were heavily criticized here, and afaik Fox even offered corrected Cleopatra discs.

Neither was that big a deal to me, and certainly not worth the inconvenience of returning or exchanging the dvds.

On the other hand, I was very grateful for the information here at the HTF regarding the poor bass on the first DTS release of Jurassic Park, and how to identify the corrected version.

Different people have different levels of tolerance for this sort of thing, mine's probably a bit higher than most other's.

I think the fact that folks do raise so much of a fuss over glitches like this is a good thing---keeps the studios on thier toes and lets them know that they can't get away with sloppy qc. Let the individual buyer decide if any given problem is worth the trouble of getting an exchange or delaying a long awaited purchase.

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
Im not saying its okay for UNIVERSAL to mess it up, I was reading the framing issue post for about 2 weeks now, and most people did not even own the movie yet, have not seen it and comment it that its messed up bad. I'm a little weird about my movies, trust me there is no heads, legs, or parts missing, the movies is misframed, and it only shows in few parts, I dont know about them because i only seen the jacket button screen shot of proper framing, But i know for a fact its not the whole movie, because in part 2 when doc looks thru binaculars, its perfect center, the only way you going to see more, is when the ratio is lowered, Which i noticed the bars on LD are less than on DVD. through out the whole movie in part 2 there is a lot of scenes thru binacular view, and its perfect, point is if the whole movie would be messed up, those shots should be messed up as well!!!!! also I have rewatched the scenes in part 2 when marty chases BIFF on hoverboard, and none of the scenes are the same like in the screenshot where marty's legs are cutoff so you cant see the hoverboard, in every scene upclose there is a hoverboard, so i dont know about that screenshot, I admit the button jacket scene is messed up bad, but that is the only one, rest is okay, if you still flame then you know what,

BUY IT, AND WATCH IT

DO NOT COMMENT IS YOU HAVENT SEEN THE DVD YET. JUST DONT READ IT AND SAY ITS MESSED UP, SEE FOR YOURSELF, YOU DONT WANNA BUY IT FINE, RENT IT, BUT UNTIL YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT DONT COMMENT.

Jesus, some posts under the framing thread, made me think im going to see chopped version, heads missing, feet, tires of car etc. ITS NOT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks