1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Back To The Future W/S Framing Issues Here-

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Spero D, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Spero D

Spero D Second Unit

2. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Ummm...these are the same photos that someone else posted here, the site probably stole them straight from HTF...this is nothing new.

3. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

That site didn't steal from HTF... I posted those shots on Ron's preview thread. I got them from that site. Post from Nov 22
    Anyway, I saw a post on DVDtalk where one of the members met Bob Gale. He said Bob was extremely upset about the misframing, and Universal knows about it.
    I'll see if I can find a link.

4. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

5. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=256765

6. StevenJ

StevenJ Stunt Coordinator

Figures, after waiting five years that Universal is gonna screw everything up.

But from what I heard, I tought Bob Gale overlooked the entire project along with Robert Zemeckis.

Interesting that he didn't notice this in the process.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

It just amazes me that whoever was in charge at Universal would allow such poor framing. I mean it looks terrible in comparison to the LD. Maybe this is just something that Gale missed when the DVDs were being made.

8. James Reader

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    It doesn't look to me as if we get "screwed".

First let's assume this is all true. OK, a mistake has been made, and a very clumsy one, but for a moment let's talk about that later.

Now apparently two misframed versions are packed and sealed inside a 3-DVD box set and busy being distributed.

Now what should Universal do? Get them all back and let us wait? Or go on with the initial distribution and give those that care a proper replacement for two of the discs? What I'm going to say may sound terribly practical, but it's true: they better have those sets unpacked by the consumers.

I don't feel "screwed" if I have to do that, provided I get a very propmpt replacement once they are available. It's a very unfortunate thing, very unfortunate indeed - but this way I won't feel cheated.

And James, you're right that we international buyers have more of a disadvantage, but I'll tell you: I decided to let the set come this way and handle the eventual replacements myself rather than having it done by my e-tailer (and have to wait).

Cees

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I don't intend to wait a month or so after the street date and wait for corrected versions to hit the shelves. 1) I'll miss the street date bargains, and 2) There's no telling when we'll *know* it's correct...or how we'd know.

If Universal handles a disc replacement on a basis similar to the Jurassic Park situation, I'll be pleased enough.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Let's be a little more reasonable.
    I'd hardly call misframing TWO SHOTS in a film screwing up the entire project.
    And if you're going to pursue this, you might as well do the same for Ben-Hur. It's missing vital information as well. [​IMG]

12. James Reader

Cees Alons, I'm not refering the the difficulties of a international exchange on the R1 version.

What I mean my international customers get 'screwed' is that this issue has been known about on the R4/R2 versions since their release in August this year with the same problems (which have been brought repeatedly to Universal's attention by numerous individuals and a number of high profile websties) and yet no official response has been forthcoming.

Now, before the R1 release is officially on sale, the point is raised once more and all of a sudden Mr Gale is arranging for replacement pressings? While I'll admit it is possible that Mr Gale was unaware of the problems on the other regions, I find it hard to believe.

So once again there appears to be one rule for R1 and another for the rest of the world.

I'll tell you now - I'm fed up with it. The more popular DVD gets, and it seems to take more and more steps backward. The E.T. debacle was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as I was concerned. Since then I have not, and will not, buy any non-R1 releases of mainstream film titles. It's just not worth it.

For all the moaning studios do about parallel importing (a couple of weeks back, a representative of a major studio called such an action as "tantamount to pricey" in a newspaper article here in the UK - even though such actions are prefectly legal) they'd be better advised to channel the energy into treating their non-American customers with the same amount of respect.

I'm sorry if some of you think this rant is off-topic, but it is an issue I feel that needs to be brought up.

13. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

14. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    James,

I see your point. I believed you were referring to consumers (like me) who have more trouble in case of send-in-get-replacement-back operations than US-citizens. And indeed we have.
    But your point is very clear too: how come the same mistake was apparent for some time in Australia and Europe and only now it's released in R1 leads to (late) reactions. Sorry I misunderstood that at first.

Cees

15. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

16. StevenJ

StevenJ Stunt Coordinator

James, you should be happy you got it at all. Two frames? Out of a 2 HOUR movie? I really don't think it's that bad. Plus Region 2 is better anyway. Not with BTTF but with other stuff. Region 2 gets so many better things than we do, or the same things we do but earlier (i.e. Family Guy, Buffy through season 5).
    I was somewhat upset when I heard of this as well, but the fact of the matter is, I've been waiting four years for this release. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna let two misframed shots stop me from buying this on Tuesday!

17. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Screenwriter

Um, let me get this straight... Is this how the framing will be for region 1 DVD to be released on Tuesday? Also, I believe someone else has pointed out that it it not just two frames... but those are just two examples from the whole botched transfer.

Ric

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

James,
    The same can be said from the viewpoint of Region 1 consumers who have waited patiently on several dvd releases available to the rest of the world, but not here. Some of those releases been available to other regions for 2-3 years while we still wait for an eventual release in Region 1.

In short, I don't buy your theory of bias against the other regions in favor of Region 1. Each region has it's issues to complain about and that's just the name of the dvd release game the studios are playing.

Crawdaddy

19. James Reader

20. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    James,
    You can disagree all you want, but that still doesn't make your point of view correct. Furthermore, Universal still hasn't officially commented on this problem which means my copy of the dvd that I now have in my possession and the million or so copies sold this Holiday season in Region One are still without any type of resolution.

Crawdaddy