What's new

Back to the Future Trilogy (Now Announced) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Back to the Future™...The Ride, if issued, would most likely not get its own standalone release. Perhaps though it'll be a bonus disc to be included with the first Back to the Future film whenever Universal releases BTTF on Blu-ray.

Bob Gale, Claudia Wells, Christopher Lloyd and Jeffrey Weissman at the Back to the Future screening to benefit Make-A-Wish on Saturday, April 19, 2008 in Celebration, Florida.

tigana

Auditioning
Real Name
Tigana
Hello! I've found this item listed on eBay. Does anyone have it to confirm the quality of footage?

Back to the Future: RIDE + Leslie Nielsen documentary - eBay (item 220327863662 end time Dec-17-08 16:02:31 PST)

BACK TO THE FUTURE - THE RIDE (11 minutes)
One of the best movie rides of all time! This DVD contains footage from Electronic press kits from Universal studios in California, Florida and Japan. If you ever saw any worldwide TV newsreports, this is where the raw footage was taken from (behind the scenes, interviews...). Sourced from proffesional broadcast BetacamSP masters and DVDs.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It's also a question of whether Stoltz waived his moral rights in the performance as part of his contract. My suspicion is that he didn't, and if that's the case, they would require his permission to release the footage to the public.

I wouldn't anticipate seeing the Stoltz footage unless he goes into a downward spiral and is willing to waive his moral rights for a future version, or he dies and the estate gives permission for the footage to be released.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr

....but can you imagine this at home with the D-BOX Motion Code enabled!?! Now all I need is the chair. :D

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Paul Landsmeer

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Landsmeer
Apart from an excellent A/V presentation, I would very, very, VERY much appreciate if Universal were to return to using the original poster art and logos for BTTF and not the DVD's "blue with silver" theme with a misaligned logo and only a shiny DeLorean on the cover.

The original art is really beautiful and captures the film's mood perfectly, while the new art makes it look like a cheap and boring Sci-Fi B-film. Not only that, it also looks awful on my shelves, so let's get back to the original, shall we?

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I know that for the original BTTF the line "What, do we become assholes or something?" was also filmed as "What, do we become jerks or something?" for the tv version. That the only alternate scene I know of but there may be others.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I was just coming back to say that I remembered that one. But I think all the other instances of language were re-dubbed on the TV version instead of using alternates. I still have the TV version on VHS from a repeat to promote the sequels. It looks like the "bonus" stuff from this airing, hosted by Leslie Nielsen, is to be included in the new DVD.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale

I wonder if Universal would include "The Ride" footage in 1080p on the BD? I hope that they would, rather than just sticking the SD version on there.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The big tip off that it's a fake is that there's a 'release month' rather than a specific date. Another fake element is that it says five discs- there's no way that they created enough special features for 2 Blu-ray discs.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Never bought these on DVD. Dunno if I would buy a trilogy set on BD, unless it was as cheap as I got X-Men for this week ($25 CDN @ Best Buy).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#010510

Okay... so here's the deal. The image below was first posted on 12/28 on the Spanish DVD website ZonaDVD, which claimed that it was an official sellsheet (from Universal Studios Home Entertainment's European operation) for a Back to the Future Trilogy Blu-ray box set release later this year. We've had a number of readers e-mail it over, wondering if it's real, and it's been a topic of discussion on several of the DVD forums over the holiday break. Now the thing is, it was posted by Zona on the Spanish equivalent of April Fool's Day (Dia de Los Santos Innocentes), so a lot of people immediately dismissed it as a joke. Here's the image...

Many of you will no doubt be aware that we've ALREADY confirmed with multiple industry sources (click here and here) that the Back to the Future films ARE currently planned by Universal for release on Blu-ray later this year, as 2010 marks the 25th anniversary of the original film's release. (In fact, we posted information on this here at The Bits as far back as June of last year.) Having seen thousands of official studio sellsheets, this one just didn't have the look of a fake to me. So over the last few days, we've gone back to our industry sources for confirmation on it, one way or the other. Just as I suspected, what you see above is authentic. It's the real deal.

Now... do keep in mind that the title has NOT been officially announced yet by Universal. So the cover art, the details on special features and the July 2010 release window you see above are all SUBJECT TO CHANGE. But our sources tell us this IS real and the title IS coming to Blu-ray at some point later in 2010. So just be patient and rest assured that we'll post updates on The Bits' home page as they come in, and official details when the announcements are finally made.

As always, stay tuned...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Seems to me that we should be hearing some news
about a domestic release of this trilogy on BD very
shortly.

Someone asked about the inclusion of the Eric Stoltz
footage....

Heard an interview with Bob Gale about a year ago
on the Opie and Anthony show where he was pressed
by the boys as to whether that footage will ever be
released.

I can't remember his exact response one year later,
but essentially Bob's reply was that the footage will
probably never see the light of day. There is no
reason that it should as it certainly would not be
flattering for Mr. Stoltz to have it floating around.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
That the watermark of the BTTF.com fansite is visible on the box art used in the sellsheet is interesting, given that The Digital Bits has confirmed it as genuine. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened, though. I'm aware of two similar incidents in the video game industry. Nintendo used an image from a fansite for the offical Metroid Fusion players guide, and Capcom used an image from IGN on the actual retail cover art for the Wii version of Okami.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll happily eat the words of my previous post but I still find multiple elements of that sheet questionable (a release month instead of a hard date, a five disc set and the fact that it's coming out in the summer rather than the fall).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks