What's new

Back To The Future Summer 2002 !!!?? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well, it only seems logical that there will be some kind of "real" announcement for this trilogy early next year (once Columbia's interest expires). Hopefully we won't have to wait until next Christmas before we can buy it!
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
ofcsminilogo2.gif

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Universal probably won't even re-transfer the films with newer/better film stock and mastering technology. They'll more than likely just dust off the discs that have been in a warehouse somewhere since 1997.
Sony did this to at least the video transfer on MIB, why should this be any different?
I'm not holding my breath for a miracle.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

CraigMc

Grip
I'm sure this is true - it makes sense and I've read this from multiple reports (not taken from the same sources I might add).
1. International distribution rights for Universal films goes back to Universal at the end of this year. So this would make it a logical time for them to release them.
2. The BTTF trilogy one of the few big catalogue titles left to be released apart from Indy and Star Wars. It's ripe for the taking, especially in light of point 1.
3. Dark Horizon's makes the report stated above.
4. DVDPlaza (http://www.dvdplaza.com.au
These are my favourite movies of all time, it really will be hard to believe until they're in my hands, but this is the best sign yet of a release this year.
I can't wait!
------------------
Craig McDonald

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I definitely won't be holding my breath -- despite the fact that these ARE my favorite movies. As much as I'd love to have them, I won't believe this until I'm holding them in my cold dead hands.
wink.gif

------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I don't know about everyone else, but I intend to have the BTTF discs in my hot little hands in 2002!! By then I'll have had the flux capacitor fitted in my DeLorean. At that point I'll go ahead to 2015 or so (or even further, if they aren't out by then), pick up a set, and bring them back!!
My density has brought me to you...
KJP

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
As for a Summer 2002 release I doubt it. Universal has confirmed that they are releasing E.T in August. They would not release their 2 biggest catalog titles within a month of each other. Maybe for 4th Q they will be out. If they were going to come out early 2002 the sites such as DVDfile and The Digital Bits would have heard something more definitive already(Before Jaws and Jurassic were announced they already had definitive word). Also according to the writer of the trilogy,Bob Gale, it seems the only thing completed for the dvds was the documentary for the first one. They still have to record commentaries etc.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I think if they seperate the DVD releases by even just a month that they can expect to rake it in on both.
After all, does anyone think that Harry Potter and LOTR are going to draw less money being seperated only by 5 weeks or so?
Released on the same day or 1-2 weeks later, maybe. But say BTTF comes out mid-July and ET hits in Sept. Both will kill in sales, or at least do as well as if you kept them apart by a full year.
SS doesn't need to release a DVD per year to stay afloat. Plus, by the logic that he can't ship most of his stuff in one year, then does that mean ET must be BS because AI is already coming in 2002??
Everyone should know by now that the ONLY thing driving this business is money in the pocket. P&S means more sales and we see it getting pushed. Sell-through over rental pricing means a better financial position for Warner and we see it pushed.
Rights issues get resolved and suddenly a film appears on DVD, and rights issues are known to be keeping things like Grease and SNF off the schedule as well. Rights = money. If money were no object then the music rights for Grease would already be done.
I just think people have gotten in this mindset that some stuff will never come out, and that's just ridiculous. Wasn't SS the one that said he was waiting for more market penetration on DVD players? Didn't DVD players just outsell VCRs for the first time ever? Worldwide release rights go back at the end of the year.
Do the math. Your cash is worth more to them in 2002 than it will be in 2003. They don't want to wait for the next format, they want to sell to you on ALL formats, over and over again (see VHS and LD).
As pointed out, the first BTTF release will most likely not be the last one. :)

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
Well the case between Harry Poter and Lord Of the Rings differ greatly with ET and Back to The Future case.
ET and BTF where released by the same studio, who wants maximum profit and think (with reason) that two SO big releases will be less profitable in that little time release frame. In the case of Harry Poter and Lord of The Rings, they are released by different studios, Warner and New Line.
Few of you will argue that warner Owns New Line, but i think they are free to make decisions, that`s why we are not fighting New Line to make widescreen versions of their movies.
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=Jugernaut

TheoGB

Screenwriter
angry.gif

ET and BTF where released by the same studio, who wants maximum profit and think (with reason) that two SO big releases will be less profitable in that little time release frame.
Whith what reason? That people only buy one DVD a month? I refer you to my thread here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003781.html
Please give the reasons because I still say there isn't a valid reason.
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
So, if this happens and BTTF gets released, what are the odds that the terrorist will be holding a walkie-talkie? :)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
So, if this happens and BTTF gets released, what are the odds that the terrorist will be holding a walkie-talkie?
Slim to none. Instead, old man Peabody chases Marty off his property with a big wooden stick. Wouldn't want 'the children' to be exposed to firearms. Also, Biff is eliminated from the movie alltogether, because we all know that bullies are bad.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
------------------------------------------------------------
So, if this happens and BTTF gets released, what are the odds that the terrorist will be holding a walkie-talkie?
------------------------------------------------------------
Lets hope they do not use the recent tv edit of the movie where the refrences to the terrorists are cut and doc's death scene is altered.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
It is official. Summer 2002. I was at a Universal meeting last night. Big a** slide on the wall. They plan on selling the trilogy with individual not yet decided upon. When questioned about the date, the rep speculated May 2002 because June/July are dead months.
[Edited last by Chris Xolotl on November 09, 2001 at 01:57 PM]

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Also, ET gets the theatrical release first with the DVD coming in the 4Q, I think he said December 2002. New movies: Curious George, Where the Wild Things Are, Baldo 2, Land Before Time (8?), Pitch Black 2, Fast and Furious 2, Time Machine (asteroid scene in NY being re-shot) etc..
[Edited last by Chris Xolotl on November 09, 2001 at 02:51 PM]

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
If May 2002 is indeed correct, I hope it is not May 7th because that is the due date for my first child. I would hate to miss that
wink.gif

-Andy
------------------

=========
Andy Roth
My DVD List
=========

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
If May 2002 is indeed correct, I hope it is not May 7th because that is the due date for my first child
I, on the other hand, would hope that it would be May 7th--my birthday is on May 8th. :)
-Mike
------------------
God Bless America--and all people who stand for freedom.
patriot.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks