What's new

Back from Hollywood: A brief summary of our trip, plus: CLONES, SPIDER-MAN and MORE! (2 Viewers)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Ron and the Admins thanks for the info from your trip. Glad you had fun. But a few comments.

1)I agree that naming employees from companies directly for complaints and name calling is totally rude. A few bad apples come in and spoil the bunch (cant believe i used that line :) )

2)The studios do owe the enthusiasts something. DVD grew a lot due to the internet community. I didnt know a thing about dvd until someone online mentioned it to me. I bought it and mentioned it to a lot of people on line like many people on here have also done. My family probably all together has bought around 500 dvd's since dvd came out. There are a lot of people out there on this and other forums that own a lot more dvd's then that. The normal people i know have around 10-35 dvd titles. I bet the average person on this forum has around 75-100. Probably a bit more actually. Say you go high end. Thats 65 more titles a person then the regular consumers. Id like to see the money total people on this and other enthusiast forums have spent compared to everyone else :)

3)Wal-mart putting pressure for p/s titles or they wont carry dvd. Id like to see wal-mart do that. I really would for the simple fact that they wouldnt sell the only movie format out there. VHS is dead. There movie sales would drop to almost nothing. Thats a huge chunk of change for a retail chain. If people dont see a dvd they want at walmart they will do like people do when another store is out of it. Go to bestbuy, circuit city,target, k-mart, the wiz, good guys or any other place that carries dvd's. Any place there is a walmart, there is a k-mart or a target not to far away

As i said before i do agree some people on this forum need to tone it down and learn a few manners when it comes to adressing people from companies who used to come here all the time and chat about what stuff we would like on dvd.

capt

Thomas Edstrom

Auditioning
Ron wrote:
Personally, this trip
has opened all our eyes in realizing that the
studios are doing everything to put out the best
product possible when their hands are usually
always tied.
Well... it opened YOUR eyes... but we that didn't attend in this trip are still walking around with closed eyes. That's why you should understand that why ppl still criticize in a bad way.

And even if you enlighten us a bit about why studios cant do everything you said you cannot discuss everything about it here..... Well.... Don't expect our eyes to be as open as yours then. :/

If all forum members could hear what you heard then it would be a total different story.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ron for such a great report.

I agree with Thomas that openness is and has always been the best policy, a shame that you are not allowed to be more open with us. On the other hand, what you did mention about Walmart and Business decisions, perhaps time has come like others have mentioned as well, to work from within the system and in this way, you can do much more and be involved in the final decisions about how a product ends up in the hands of consumers.

I am also looking forward to see both Spider-Man and the Clones on dvd

Just my 2 cents.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, so the Lost 20, droid control ship raid, and the extended Yoda battle are not among the deleted scenes. Oh well, I would have liked to have seen them, but you can't have everything.

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

First of all, thanks for the report, and I can only echo your calls for civility in discourse. The old adage "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar" is totally true, and it boggles my mind how few people on the Internet seem to get it.

That said, at the risk of being redundant, I did want to ask you (or anyone else who was there and can jump in) a question. Did you feel that you got a compelling explanation for why Columbia is issuing full-frame only versions of catalog arthouse/foreign films like THE SCENT OF GREEN PAPAYA that are neither likely to be marketed to children or likely to even be available at Wal-Mart? If so, I'd love to hear it, although I respect and trust you if you can't share it.

It's just that this has been the single most confusing decision that I've seen from a studio. I understand (though don't agree with) decisions like full-frame only titles of popular favorites that will be put at endcaps at Target for $10. I understand not putting out widescreen versions of kid-oriented titles (although, again, I don't agree.) But I just don't get a good reason why A MIDNIGHT CLEAR or THE SCENT OF GREEN PAPAYA would be full-frame only, since it seems like their target audience is that which cares most about OAR.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Back to the original post (probably mentioned already) but I find it most interesting that the AOTC transfer is in the purely digital realm as I thought that George Lucas had wanted the "look" to be consistant with all 6 titles on DVD.
Wha? You mean you WANT "Clones" to have excessive edge enhancement? :D
Jason

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It's nice to hear that Mr Staddon is alive and well and still looking out for our interests at Fox. I do have to agree that some members have gotten a bit carried away on things. For instance, the member who demanded a boycott of Fox for releasing Sunrise in the manner that they're doing. I'm just happy that they're issuing it, in whatever manner, since for a long time it didn't look like it would ever come out at all. One thing that has to be recognized is that, other than a couple of Well Known Trilogies that don't need to be named, most of the potential unreleased DVD material at this point of the game IS niche stuff, with an uncertain marketplace. I couldn't promise sales of 1000 copies of Sunrise--most silents don't even sell that many copies, and the economics often just aren't there, unfortunately. 1000 copies doesn't even begin to pay for a deteriorated silent's restoration. I'm an enthusiast for silents and would love to see more on DVD, but I have to recognize at the same time that it just isn't likely to happen for a lot of titles. That's not a cause for criticism of the studios, though.

Frankly I'm astounded at some of the material, silent and otherwise, that's come out in just five years. Heck, just the Something Weird line is astonishing. Perhaps now that Warner is finally starting to come around on its back catalog and recognize that there's money to be made there, we'll get even more.

Anyway, thanks for the report from Hollywood, guys.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
We must remember that this is a profit driven industry and if someone with deep pockets says, "I'm not putting this product on my shelves unless there is a P&S version" then their wallet speaks louder than the very valid artistic arguments for OAR.
That's fine. Give them their P/S version. But the economics just don't make sense to me not to make an OAR version available too. Laserdisc topped out at 2 million households. DVD is in something like 50 million households. Let's say 1/3 of us prefer OAR, that's still a potential customer base of over 16 million households. It is curious that Columbia found it economically feasible to release widescreen laserdiscs to a comparitively tiny market, but not to the millions of DVD owners that prefer widescreen. I support both OAR & P/S being available if necessary, but never just P&S only.

Jeff

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
So Ron says what so many of us realized from the beginning: That the people responsible for DVDs at major studios are not blithering idiots, and their sometimes unpopular decisions are based on legitimate business concerns. This isn't -- or, shouldn't be -- a shocker. The studio people (indeed, the people at Walmart, et al.) don't "have it out" for OAR advocates and other enthusiasts. They're simply, understandably, responding to a substantial market demand. Unfortunately.

If you want to keep OAR releases coming (and I certainly do), don't worry about P&S customers, or try to "educate" the public (that's well aware of what they're buying, and why). Make your own wishes known. And if the OAR crowd is indeed sizable (and I believe it is), we're far from doomed.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hmm, so the Lost 20, droid control ship raid, and the extended Yoda battle are not among the deleted scenes. Oh well, I would have liked to have seen them, but you can't have everything.
I think Dan was saying these scenes were not incorporated into the finished film. I don't think he was saying they aren't available on disc 2. I hope not, anyway.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I think Dan was saying these scenes were not incorporated into the finished film. I don't think he was saying they aren't available on disc 2. I hope not, anyway.
No I was talking about the nine scenes on disc 2. Those additional ones rumoured like the lost 20 are not there. These are probably not in the right order, but you get;

Padme Addressing the Senate
Obi and the Analysis Droids
Padme's Family Dinner scene
Padme's bedroom scene (where anakin views 3d pics of her achivements)
Obi and Mace on the Jedi Landing Platform
Padme/Anakin Address Dooku on Geonosis
Geonosian Council gives sentance on Padme & Anakin

Anyone remember what in the heck the other 2 were?

Dan

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
This thread's been a great read, both because of the DVD report (AOTC looks great even on a cinema-sized screen? YEAH, BABY!!!! :D), and I've also enjoyed the candid discussion regarding our attitudes towards the studios, and vice-versa. Hopefully this will end up being constructive in the long run :)
But back to the drool-worthy subject ;) Dan, my fellow fanboy chump, how did the AOTC DVD compare to film, detail-wise? You mention detail in clothing, but how about stuff like the establishing shots of Coruscant, or the bright environments in Kamino (which were TOO bright in theaters, at least in the one I frequent)? Come on, man, spill! :D

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Ricardo,

Like I said, I think the DVD transfer holds up nicer with those issues of brightness the film had in both 35mm and DLP. The coruscant interior scenes look a lot nicer. The film is what, 1080p with the CG effects resolution being a tad higher? The gap is smaller in watching a 480p DVD transfer from a 1080 source, so there's just lots and lots and lots of detail here.

I think the likes of the Pixar films and Ice Age will have the advantage over AOTC nevertheless, in the respect of them being entirely CG. As per theatrical issue, some background 1080p HD Cam filmed elements are of questionable focus and detail as they stand within their fully CG enviroments. My guess would be the smaller the display, the more this is smoothed out, and I expect it to be a non existent issue with the updated technology they will use to shoot Episode III with.

The whole thing just doesnt look real thats for sure, the CG stands out, but the transfer as a whole is simply pristine. For any who hate film grain in DVD transfers, this'll be a wet dream for them.

Dan

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Damn. Wish I had understood you. I really was hoping for that scene. Maybe it'll actually be on the website this time. I don't like the idea of deleted scenes on the web, but I really want to see the Lost 20.

Anyway, your posts actually have me kind of bummed. If the CGI stands out that much, it sounds like it's going to look terrible.

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
From the Digital Bits:
And finally today, we've got what our sources are telling us is the final deleted scene list for the Star Wars: Episode II DVD.
1. Padme addresses the Senate
2. Obi-Wan talks with the Analysis Droids
3. Obi-Wan learns of the "Lost Twenty" Jedi
4. Obi-Wan and Mace discuss Anakin at the Starfighter Hangar
5. Anakin and Padme with Padme's Family
6. Anakin and Padme on Trial on Geonosis
7. Extended version of the Yoda/Dooku lightsaber duel
8. Jedi Raid on the Droid Control Ship
If the rest of that list pans out... that's a damn cool list of deleted material. Rumor is the extended Yoda/Dooku duel features Dooku fighting with two lightsabers. Just having ANY more of short stack in action is cool to us...
From TheForce.net:
-Complete List of Deleted Scenes-
Opening Senate Scene
Obi-Wan & The Analysis Droid
Extended Jedi Library Scene ("Lost 20 Jedi" Discussion)
Obi-Wan & Mace Windu Discussion in Jedi Temple Hangar
Naberrie Family Scene(s)
Anakin & Padme Trial on Geonosis
Extended Dooku/Yoda Duel (Dooku w/ two lightsabers)
Ki-Adi Mundi & Plo Koon Droid Control Ship Raid
From Prequel Watch:
Opening Senate Scene
Obi-Wan & The Analysis Droid
Extended Jedi Library Scene ("Lost 20 Jedi" Discussion)
Obi-Wan & Mace Windu Discussion in Jedi Temple Hangar
Naberrie Family Scene(s)
Anakin & Padme Trial on Geonosis
Extended Dooku/Yoda Duel (Dooku w/ two lightsabers)
Ki-Adi Mundi & Plo Koon Droid Control Ship Raid

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Greg, this transfer is ANYTHING but terrible. You'll wet yourself when you see it I can assure you... Even those who didnt like the movie wont fail to be impressed.

1. Padme addresses the Senate
2. Obi-Wan talks with the Analysis Droids
3. Obi-Wan learns of the "Lost Twenty" Jedi
4. Obi-Wan and Mace discuss Anakin at the Starfighter Hangar
5. Anakin and Padme with Padme's Family
6. Anakin and Padme on Trial on Geonosis
7. Extended version of the Yoda/Dooku lightsaber duel
8. Jedi Raid on the Droid Control Ship
Sorry, but 3, 7 and 8 are all utter BS. We watched the whole deleted scenes sequence in play all mode with interviews preceeding each one. The bogus list doesnt even mention the scene with Anakin and Padme going before Dooku which is part of the deleted scenes (comes seperate before the Trial scene) or the scene in Padme's bedroom on Naboo.

Dan

PS: I am starting to think Lucas in changing aspects of Dooku's past that may be revealed in Ep III, hence us not being given the lost 20 scene (if it was indeed shot). Right now I take it as something forbidden to us just as the Adrien Dunbar Bail Organa scenes from Ep1 were.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm disappointed those scenes won't be on there. But you can't have everything. Maybe on the forthcoming box set after the prequels are finished. The raid on the control ship and the Lost 20 were two of my most aniticipated.

From the few screenshots of the DVD that I've seen, the CGI and everything looks fine. Although, you can't tell much from a screencap. Needless to say, I'm not worried.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Okay, Dan, your word is good enough for me. I'll stop worrying about the CGI. And, I'm already used to the idea of not seeing those deleted scenes. Your theory about changing Dooku's past is intriguing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's a five min preview as I stated. The full thing will span a series of web documentaries. I THINK it may be set up via an exclusive weblink off of the AOTC DVD itself, not sure. A lot of laughter value from this trailer alone.
Umm... it's been on the web for several months now at the offical site:
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/v...d/r2_btd1.htmlThe trailer in question aired on Fox when they last aired TPM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks