What's new

Babylon 5: Should I invest my money and time? ANSWER IN POST #500 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I highly recommend the series as a whole. It is one of the richest and most satisfying science-fiction series to ever see the light of day - easily comparable to the best of the Star Treks. DVD is a great way to experience it too.

That said, a word or two of caution:
- Don't expect The Sopranos. Comparing anything at all to the Sopranos is bound to leave you disappointed.
- Avoid spoilers. There are some truly amazing plot twists and revealations in the course of the series. Don't ruin them.
- If some of season 1 (or The Gathering) doesn't seem to be going anywhere, just have faith that, indeed, it is. Your patience will be rewarded.
- In the Beginning has a framing sequence that actually makes it fit into the later parts of the series, although the bulk of the action is a prequel to the series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I highly recommend the series as a whole. It is one of the richest and most satisfying science-fiction series to ever see the light of day - easily comparable to the best of the Star Treks. DVD is a great way to experience it too.

That said, a word or two of caution:
- Don't expect The Sopranos. Comparing anything at all to the Sopranos is bound to leave you disappointed.
- Avoid spoilers. There are some truly amazing plot twists and revealations in the course of the series. Don't ruin them.
- If some of season 1 (or The Gathering) doesn't seem to be going anywhere, just have faith that, indeed, it is. Your patience will be rewarded.
- In the Beginning has a framing sequence that actually makes it fit into the later parts of the series, although the bulk of the action is a prequel to the series.

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
I found the universe that was created so compelling that I went on to get some of the novels that tell the bits of story that they never wrapped up (What happened to the technomages, what happened to Bester & the Psi-Corps, and what happened to Centauri Prime & the Drakh). The books were fantastic and gave a lot of breadth to the main story as well.

I didn't mess around with the novelizations of certain episodes, just the books that continue the story.

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
I found the universe that was created so compelling that I went on to get some of the novels that tell the bits of story that they never wrapped up (What happened to the technomages, what happened to Bester & the Psi-Corps, and what happened to Centauri Prime & the Drakh). The books were fantastic and gave a lot of breadth to the main story as well.

I didn't mess around with the novelizations of certain episodes, just the books that continue the story.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

This is one of the big points with B5. Some people didn't like Season 1 when it first aired, but loved the following seasons. Others liked Season 1 a lot more when they saw it a second time after watching Season 2. I loved the series from the beginning and probably is one of the few who liked the original pilot movie a lot.

When it first came on, in between "seasons" I would watch it all again from the beginning. (I put "seasons" in quotes because it didn't really pause between actual seasons but actually somewhere just short of the end of a season.) The first seasons really got better on viewing them again as some subtle points meant more.

This is one of the reasons why you should own the series, so you can see it again and again. You probably should not watch any of the special features until you have watched all the episodes in a particular season.

It is my favorite TV series of all time.

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

This is one of the big points with B5. Some people didn't like Season 1 when it first aired, but loved the following seasons. Others liked Season 1 a lot more when they saw it a second time after watching Season 2. I loved the series from the beginning and probably is one of the few who liked the original pilot movie a lot.

When it first came on, in between "seasons" I would watch it all again from the beginning. (I put "seasons" in quotes because it didn't really pause between actual seasons but actually somewhere just short of the end of a season.) The first seasons really got better on viewing them again as some subtle points meant more.

This is one of the reasons why you should own the series, so you can see it again and again. You probably should not watch any of the special features until you have watched all the episodes in a particular season.

It is my favorite TV series of all time.

Neil

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Ron, I took a while to get into this series. I simply couldn't take some of the characters appearances *cough*Londo*cough* seriously.

What a mistake I made. "Nothing could compare to TNG/DS9" I thought.

Even as a huge Trek fan, I gotta agree with many posters here... BEST SCI-FI SHOW EVER.

Yes, the CGI looks bad (due to framing issues) and the production values weren't huge ... but the writing & character-development is amazing. Stick through season one, and you won't BELIEVE the middle three seasons. Some of the best TV I've watched.

And yeah... stay away from intros & commentaries.

I proudly own the whole series on DVD. I keep catching little details here and there that I didn't catch the first (or second) time around. Really brilliant show. :)

I'll be curious to hear what you think! :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Ron, I took a while to get into this series. I simply couldn't take some of the characters appearances *cough*Londo*cough* seriously.

What a mistake I made. "Nothing could compare to TNG/DS9" I thought.

Even as a huge Trek fan, I gotta agree with many posters here... BEST SCI-FI SHOW EVER.

Yes, the CGI looks bad (due to framing issues) and the production values weren't huge ... but the writing & character-development is amazing. Stick through season one, and you won't BELIEVE the middle three seasons. Some of the best TV I've watched.

And yeah... stay away from intros & commentaries.

I proudly own the whole series on DVD. I keep catching little details here and there that I didn't catch the first (or second) time around. Really brilliant show. :)

I'll be curious to hear what you think! :)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon

You should see the Shadow ships on my 106 Inch Screen projected with my Marantz VP12-S3 HD2+ DLP Projector. This show shouldn't be seen any other way!!!

I was Ron's friend that got him into this show. I am now currently in season 4 and have been loving every show since the Gathering. This is by far the best SciFi I have ever seen. The story telling is simply unreal!!!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon

You should see the Shadow ships on my 106 Inch Screen projected with my Marantz VP12-S3 HD2+ DLP Projector. This show shouldn't be seen any other way!!!

I was Ron's friend that got him into this show. I am now currently in season 4 and have been loving every show since the Gathering. This is by far the best SciFi I have ever seen. The story telling is simply unreal!!!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've been very fortunate to have heard many funny stories by the large cast of B5 at Dragon Con for the past 5-6 years, and each year I see cast members of this great show, it makes me want to re-visit the show again.

And to reiterate, don't let the pacing of the first season deter you from moving onto to season 2 because the show really picks up steam in season 2, and it's a fun, incredible journey that the whole cast takes in its 5 year run.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've been very fortunate to have heard many funny stories by the large cast of B5 at Dragon Con for the past 5-6 years, and each year I see cast members of this great show, it makes me want to re-visit the show again.

And to reiterate, don't let the pacing of the first season deter you from moving onto to season 2 because the show really picks up steam in season 2, and it's a fun, incredible journey that the whole cast takes in its 5 year run.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I've gotta go with Cole on this one. I'm not a B5 fan, never have been. While it has some nice CGI effects, overall I could not get into it at all. Even had a buddy of mine try to hook me up with a B5 DVD set for free - couldn't go for it. DS9 had me in hook, line, and sinker from the start.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I've gotta go with Cole on this one. I'm not a B5 fan, never have been. While it has some nice CGI effects, overall I could not get into it at all. Even had a buddy of mine try to hook me up with a B5 DVD set for free - couldn't go for it. DS9 had me in hook, line, and sinker from the start.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

Well, as of this year, I view it on my slightly inferior setup - 90" or so Infocus X1 DLP. The shimmery stretchy artifacts on the bigger image are sometimes noticeable. I feel it is worth it, but I was just warning, because it really bugs some people.

Quality show. Next best thing to a good series of books. Sometimes better :D. And that's saying a lot from me (Avid sci-fi/fantasy book reader since 5th grade).

Much grittier and more realistic (as far as people). Has a very strong fantasy feel at times though, and pay attention for some really excellent foreshadowing. An occasional really good experimental ep (the Psi-corp ep and a couple of the ISN News eps come to mind) also helps out the mix.

But don't judge it on the pilot! :D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

Well, as of this year, I view it on my slightly inferior setup - 90" or so Infocus X1 DLP. The shimmery stretchy artifacts on the bigger image are sometimes noticeable. I feel it is worth it, but I was just warning, because it really bugs some people.

Quality show. Next best thing to a good series of books. Sometimes better :D. And that's saying a lot from me (Avid sci-fi/fantasy book reader since 5th grade).

Much grittier and more realistic (as far as people). Has a very strong fantasy feel at times though, and pay attention for some really excellent foreshadowing. An occasional really good experimental ep (the Psi-corp ep and a couple of the ISN News eps come to mind) also helps out the mix.

But don't judge it on the pilot! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks