What's new

Babylon 5 newbies? (Richard Biggs - RIP) (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I don't think I've ever seen that on TV or in a movie before.
I have, in the film Starship Troopers. It's what the Arachnids used to attack Earth. Of course the film (1997) came out after B5 s2 (1995?). However the Robert A. Heinlein book came out a lot earlier! (I haven't read the book, but I'm assuming that particular plot detail was in it...?)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
No, as I recall there was nothing in Heinlein's novel Starship Troopers that touched upon the 'Bugs' attacking Earth. That is strictly an invention of the film.

Re: Julie's observation - those types of weapons are fairly popular in SF literature that deals with space based military conflict. I was very pleased to see its use in B5. Just another reason why it was a great series. ( In someways I envy those of you are seeing the series for the first time, you are in for a great ride. )

- Walter.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Yes, I've come across it in written SF quite a few times but, having not seen Starship Troopers, this is the first time I've seen it on film or TV.

I also liked how a certain character watching the whole thing wasn't reduced to the sterotypical bad guy but showed a great deal of horror at the situation.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Where the hell was I when it first aired?!?
I'm guessing that most B5 fans did not watch the series regularly when it first aired. It was on a network that no longer exists, changed air time quite a bit, and was generally looked down upon as a "poor man's Star Trek."

Rob T

Screenwriter
A View From the Gallery, though not a universal favorite, is a neat way of looking at the B5 universe.
I think it's definitely the worst episode out of all 5 seasons, but that's just me.
It did have 2 redeeming parts though. The spoo conversation and the conversations between G'Kar and Londo. :)

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Z'ha'dum is probably supposed to be a spooky mis-spelling of Shadow. S'ha'dow. Z'ha'dum. It's close, and also brings to mind Khazad-dum.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Z'ha'dum is probably supposed to be a spooky mis-spelling of Shadow. S'ha'dow. Z'ha'dum. It's close, and also brings to mind Khazad-dum.
JMS used quite a bit of stuff from many different European legends, myths and stories. LOTR was one of the main sources.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The similarities between LOTR and B5 go much further than a simple name. But if we want to stick to names, Lorien is an even better example, being lifted straight from LOTR. Of course we can't discuss this character until sometime in S4.

--
Holadem

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
Lorien is an even better example, being lifted straight from LOTR. Of course we can't discuss this character until sometime in S4.
Says who?! :D (j/k, no spoilers follow)

The episode where Lorien made his first appearance was also the first ep of B5 I ever saw. Still my favorite episode (and character!) of B5 to this very day. :)

I know newbies are probably getting sick of hearing this, but seasons 3 and 4 are sooooooo good, they somehow improve the quality of the first two seasons!

(And damn this thread!! :D I was all set to wait for all five seasons to be released on DVD before I ditched my tapes. Season One is currently on its way in the mail and Season Two will follow shortly.)

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well, I just bought Season 1. I've never seen a single episode, but this show comes so highly recomended I bought it anyway. I was wondering.... is this thread safe to read (WRT spoilers)if one hasn't even seen any episodes? should I wait till I've seen at least the first two seasons before I read?

Thanks guys,
-Marshall

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, definitely wait till you've seen the first 2 seasons. There were some discussions of the S2 season finale earlier that you do not want to read.

You know, the fact that people are buying this show sigth unseen and liking it, is making me wonder about other shows myself. I have never been a big TV person, but I am starting to think there must be something to say... Buffy if so many people like :)

--
Holadem

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Ive got into so many tv shows via dvd its not even funny. Farscape, Buffy, Sopranos, CSI, Stargate SG-1 and im pretty sure there are more

capt

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Holadem,
I know what you mean about Buffy. Everyone here seems to love it, and all my friends love it.... And I've never seen it :b
There is soooo much TV in fact that I've not seen, including EVERYTHING Joey listed!!! I need to hit the Powerball so I can check these shows out.

RE: Babylon 5 so far... I've seen the first disk. I find the show intriguing. Some of the acting is a bit stiff, but no more so than the early seasons of ST:TNG which is one of my favoite shows of all time. It is really interesting how the characters seem to like and hate each other at the same time. I think the only character I dont like is the Russian chick thats second in command. We'll see what happens though. I find the soul hunters to be a very interesting concept. I hope they are further explored.

-Marshall

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Funny you should mention that, I took me a long a long time also to warm up to Ivanova. But then again, she is not exactly the friendliest and most outgoing person on this show :). IMO, the characters that are easiest to like right off the bat are Garibaldi and Londo.

--
Holadem

Rob T

Screenwriter
RE: Babylon 5 so far... I've seen the first disk. I find the show intriguing. Some of the acting is a bit stiff, but no more so than the early seasons of ST:TNG which is one of my favoite shows of all time.
With Sinclair, it's because the character is stiff. JMS kind of designed him that way. Or at least that's what most of us fans think. :)

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Ivanova's revelation to Delenn about how she felt toward Talia is somewhat shocking and heartbreaking, especially for TV in the mid '90s.

I haven't made it all the way through Season 2 yet and can't remember if this is in season 2 or 3 (I'm thinking 3), so that's why I spoilered it.

Oh, wait! I remember, it's sometime after "Severed Dreams" because isn't that when Delenn gives them their new black and silver uniforms?
So it has to be season 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks