What's new

B5 3rd season. (2 Viewers)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I would pick up the movie disk - the pilot does set up a couple of later plotlines. Not necessary, but recommended. Some of the acting is very rough in the pilot though - some people were replaced later, etc. Don't let it scare you off - all pilots are a little rough, right? And yes, Absolutely do not watch "In the Beginning". I saw through a little into season 3 when I first watched it on Fox, and had some familiarity with the series, so the major spoilers didn't surprise me toooooo much.
Just don't pay too much attention to who is working in the bridge/control room :) Just a reuse of the same actor (of which there are plenty in B5).

Blu

Screenwriter
Are there any S3 previews out there like they did for S2?
The Real Vid clips from the extras were on Yahoo for S2, but I can't find anything for S3.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Got mine. DVDSoon just threw it in a box without padding so the corners got scrunched. At least the discs stayed put.

I'll check it out later.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Are there any S3 previews out there like they did for S2?
There are indeed. I got an e-mail from Warner Bros. a few days ago that linked to a page with clips from the various extras on the disc. Unfortunately I deleted the message and emptied my deleted items folder shortly after checking it out, so I no longer have the link. Anybody else still got that e-mail? I'll ask around on some of the dedicated B5 sites as well. Somebody's gotta have the link. :)

Regards,

Joe

Blu

Screenwriter
Thanks!
I'm about to head out to the stores to see if it might have been put out a little early because of that preview!

Now on the pending eve of the release of S3, are there any hints or rumors as to when S4 might be released?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Now on the pending eve of the release of S3, are there any hints or rumors as to when S4 might be released?
Oddly enough I posted a message to JMS about this on the moderated newsgroup just before checking this thread for new posts. Depending on how busy he is and/or coy he feels like being, we may get an answer in a day or two.

Regards,

Joe

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The guy from Suncoast called today to remind me about the preorder (like I need reminding :) ). He said "calling to let you know that your movie is in". Me: "Today? Really??" and he stammered, "No, we were just calling to remind you for tomorrow". Me (I could tell he was new): "Oh, thanks...."

Damn him for getting my hopes up! :D

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,

I would advise against it. B5 is far more serialized than most TV shows, so you would be missing A LOT of the plot points and character motivations that were developed in the first two seasons. B5 was planned to be a "novel for television". Season 3 is essentially the middle chapters of this novel.

Start at the beginning! :D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Hmm, I have no interest in buying the first two seasons. Too bad, could have been interesting
???

If you're a newbie, how can you possibly know this? And how can you know that you might like the third season? This is a bit like deciding to read (or see) The Two Towers but not The Fellowship of the Ring because the first film doesn't appeal to you - even though as a Tolkein "newbie" presumbably you wouldn't know a great deal about either. :confused:

If you're not sure that the first two seasons are worth the investment, try renting them. I've tried a number of series "on for size" by renting them via Netflix.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Can a B5 newbie jump in on season 3 and understand what's going on?
Well, when the show was in first-run syndication there were people who discovered the show every year and "jumped in" without suffering any long-term medical problems. I myself missed much of the first year, only "getting" the show after catching a batch of rerurns, and then spent most of S2 chasing the show from time-slot to time-slot, thereby missing a few more even after I wanted to watch the show faithfully. By S3 the series was in a stable slot in my area, but I still managed to miss "War Without End" both times it aired because of business trips to areas where the show either wasn't carried or was too hard to find.

I still managed to enjoy it immensely, and eventually caught up on what I'd missed thanks to the cable reruns. Probably not the optimal way to watch, but it can work. I rather suspect that if you did jump in with S3 you'd eventually want to go back and get the first two seasons anyway. A lot of people who find the first season a bit slow the first time through come to appreciate it a great deal more after watching season 5. The second time through the show you can really see the shape of the plot and the sheer amount of foreshadowing and ground-work laying that goes on right from the very start. (There is a conversation in the fist episode that becomes very important at the end of S3, and another in the pilot that ends inconclusively - only to be picked up between the same two characters in one of the last episodes of S5. In the intervening 4 3/4 years I don't think the two have a single scene together.)

Regards,

Joe

Britton

Screenwriter
I would say that Season 2 should be a definite pickup. However, I think you could get by without getting Season 1 since a lot of those episodes weren't as serialized. The first episode I saw was Babylon Squared when the show was on TNT back in early 1998 and I had no problems getting into the show. That was one of the last Season 1 episodes. I had an immediate appreciation for Season 1 the first time I saw it all the way through because it turned out to be the last season I saw.

The 3rs season two parter "War Without End" is directly related to "Babylon Squared" and I would definitely think that the episode is far more enjoyable when you've already seen the previous episode. It gave me the same feeling as watching "Back to the Future Part II" during the parts in which they went back to the events of the first movie, just from a different perspective.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Can a B5 newbie jump in on season 3 and understand what's going on?
Never.

AT the very least, rent a few essential eps of S1, watch half of S2 THEN go to S3.

And yes, I know people who watched TTT without FOTR :rolleyes

--
Holadem

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I just rewatched the highlights of Season 1 with my partner to get him into it. He'll be watching all of season 2 this week. I can provide a list of appropriate S1 episodes if anyone is inclined.

I'll be new to Season 3 this week or next.

What's the best price anyone has found?

Also, does anyone know the release date for Season 4, or the plans for the movies?

Eric C D

Second Unit
I just rewatched the highlights of Season 1 with my partner to get him into it. He'll be watching all of season 2 this week. I can provide a list of appropriate S1 episodes if anyone is inclined.

I'll be new to Season 3 this week or next.
If you're new to Season 3, how are you sure you got all the relevant parts of Season 1?

I'm firmly with Holadem - with the exception of one or two, you are better off watching all of the episodes. You can take your time. On DVD, they're not going anywhere - you don't have to catch up with a viewing schedule.

In any case, everyone enjoy! I know I am going to.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks