What's new

B&W HTM1 Large or Small? (1 Viewer)

Tim Menefee

Auditioning
Hello All,

I have a few questions concerning my B&W setup. I currently have N804s as L/R, HTM1 as C, and SCM1 as Surrounds. I am using an B&K Ref 50 and Ref 200.5 combo and MK MX-150 THX sub. I have the N804s set to Large and the HTM1 and SCM1s set to small. Since the HTM1 is considered full range, should this be set to large. I have seen other threads with similar speaker configurations and am curious as to how those are configured.

Also, I am considering moving the N804s to the surround position and upgrading the fronts to N802s. My dealer offered me full credit back on the SCM1s and a resonable price on the new N802s. I would like your opinion on having 5 full range speakers in the system. I am considering this because more material is comming available that recommends 5 full range speaker such as SACD and DVD Audio, I have the Elite DV-45A for that purpose.

As always, thanks for you input.

Tim

Steve Lance

Auditioning
I've got a similar configuration with 804s in the front and an HTM1 as the center channel. They are all configured as large. I also tend to listen to a lot of music is 2 channel mode.

I have 805s inthe surround position and find that they work quite well with the 804s. Given the fact that surrounds don't get the same excersize as front speakers, moving the 804s there seems like serious overkill.

I also tend to push a lot of power (200w) through these speakers and get very nice results.

Good luck!

Steve

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I would agree that 804's in the rear would seem like such a huge waste to me. There just isn't enough meaningful information sent back there for it to be worth it, and that includes DVD, DVD-Audio, or SACD. More and more multi-channel SACD's are now starting to shift the focus of sound to the front three channels anyway. I would trade the 804's on some 802's, if I did anything.

As far as settings I would recommend the HTM and the 804's set to large.

David_C_M

Auditioning
I would have to agree, I have also have a similar, set up with N803/HTM in front and N805 as rears. I have my settings set to large. I would have to agree that the 804 would be a waste for rear channels. If you are a music buff trade in the 804's for 802's. If you do I would think of bi-amping the 802's as they do like the juice.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I guess I'll be the odd-man out.

I, too, have a similar setup. N802s in front, HTM-1 in the center, and I use 602s on the side and in the rear. Eventually, when I have a larger room, I will put a pair of 804s on the side.

IMO, it depends on your room size and whether or not you believe in multi-channel music. Whether it's DVD-A or SACD. 805s and stands are only a grand less than a pair of 804s. To me, musically, the 804s are a better speaker. For just HT use, I wouldn't even go with the 805s. Seems like a waste of an excellent speaker to only use as a surround channel.

YMMV

Jeremy

Tim Menefee

Auditioning
Thanks for your input everyone. I am running the HTM1 as large and also decided to keep the SCM1s for the Surround channels for now. I just got back from my locl dealer and decided to return the 804s toward a purchase of 802s. Also, this better fits my budget. I will upgrade to full range surrounds in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks