1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

B&W DS7 Surrounds?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by jeff.adams, Jul 17, 2004.

1. jeff.adams

jeff.adams Well-Known Member

Does anyone own these? Anyone heard them? I'm looking for opinions. How do they sound in monopole vs dipole modes? Anyone using them with the trigger setup?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member

They were designed back in the Pro-Logic days when the surround channel was band limited to 100hz-7khz. As such, you'll notice that they only have 2" drivers for the high frequencies and their performance is rather poor above 7khz. Not a great speaker for today's full-range surround content.

3. jeff.adams

jeff.adams Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. You said they were designed "back in the days". They are a brand new speaker that came out concurrently with the 700 series, so I don't think they are old in any way. I'm not sure what you're saying there.

4. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Well-Known Member

B&W's specs show a range of 60hz-42khz (monopole) and 60hz-15khz (dipole) for these speakers and a frequency response of 80hz-22khz, +/- 3db for monopole, 80hz-10khz, +/-3db for dipole.

I am also interested in anyone's experience with these surrounds. Yes, I still prefer dipoles in this day of 7.1. My thought would be to use these as dipole sides and monopole rears with Nautilus mains (804, HTM-1).

Cheers,
    -Paul