What's new

B&W 685 (1 Viewer)

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
its been awhile, I finally bought a pair of B&W 685 bookshelf speakes for front L/R. I have a Denon AVR3805 receiver with no pre-out I can find, its rated at 120wpc but I wanted to get a integrated amp or 2ch power amp for the 685s. how would I connect the amp to the receiver and would anyone recommend a sufficent amp rated at 40-60w for those speakers?

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
with an A or A/B power amp you would have good clean power. much like a SET amp rated at a only a few watts, its only 20w but it cleans up the signal path and with a speaker rated at 90-95db for efficiency you are getting 95db@1watt. you dont need 5000w to sound good. granted the B&W speakers are rated at 88db so they are not all that efficient, but any speaker could benefit from a dedicated amp.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 3805 most definitely has preamp outputs right next to the power connector and labeled PRE OUT. Have you already tried these speakers with this receiver?

x033AV3805B-b.jpeg

As to an amp or integrated, kind of need a price range to give suggestions, since recommendations could be very different for differen price ranges.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
Oh shit, I didn't even see those. I have my subwoofer connected and I looked right past them. As far as price, probably 600-$1000. I was looking at an integrated amp but I figured I wouldn't need one if I could use the master controls off the receiver.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
would I be able to get away with a power amp or do I need the secondary controls from a pre-amp or integrated amp?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you're using the Pre-Outs on the receiver then you only need a power amp. The receiver would act just like a Pre-Amp.

Some of us feel a dedicated stereo analog pre-amp is better then a receiver for stereo music. Some don't.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
thank you all for the replies. I will keep looking for either an A/B solid state or tube amp, I will keep you all posted on what I find.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
schan1269 said:
If you want a lean bite sound, find a NAD PE(Power Envelope).If you don't like it, resell it.
I think Planz sells NAD products, I will check with them to see if its available.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
I was reading a review about the NAD 245BEEE that is a 4ch bridgeable amp. the B&W 685 speakers have 4 binding posts for bi-wire setup, would I have any benefit connecting a 4ch amp in bi-wire setup or just get a 2ch amp and connect it normally?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Connect it normally. Rather than Biamp, you're better off just getting a big enough amp for your tastes.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
I know but I didn't know if it would work for bi-wiring. It's a 4ch amp you could also bridge into 2.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've biamped bookshelf speakers before and can't say they benefitted from it. It might be more of a benefit with a very power hungry speaker like a 4 Ohm tower that is demanding, but I doubt the 685s at 87dB sensitivity and -3dB of approximately 52hz, I don't think they'll require it. Since they're listed as 8 Ohm, you might be OK running that amp bridged with them because the amp would most likley be limited to 8 Ohms when bridged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks