What's new

B&N Criterion sale beginning 7/13 (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Eclipse boxes at my local brick and mortar were included in the sale.

My haul was:

In store (with extra 10% off for membership):

Throne of Blood (Janus Essential Arthouse DVD) ($9)

Playtime (BD) ($18)

M (BD) ($18)

On-line pre-order (with free shipping)

Red Shoes (BD) ($20)

Black Narcissus (BD) ($20)

The cruel irony is I have three reviews to finish before I can watch any of these, but at least I have great things to which to look forward!

Regards,

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Originally Posted by Mark-P

I've noticed that the Criterion blu-ray of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is NOT 50% off but the Criterion DVD is. Bummer, I've been wanting to get this blu-ray when I could find it on sale.

For whatever reason, that disc has never been very expensive (studio subsidy?). Amazon sells it for under $20 normally, and IIRC I've seen it at Costco for $12.99.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
With my B & N discount card, I got Downhill Racer (SD DVD) and Days of Heaven (BD) for $34, including tax. Going back for more tomorrow, I hope.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Someone convinced me (my arm is easily twisted! ) to take advantage of this year's B&N Criterion sale.

My sale was split into two shipments.

Wages of Fear

The Last Emperor (this was one of the toughtest triggers I've ever pulled. I really didn't want to do it but figured we wouldn't see a better release for a very long time, if ever.)

Those two showed up today.

And I just got an e-mail telling me Black Narcissus is on its way!

I used my AAA discount for another 10% off their sale price and got each disc for $17.99.

daddymention

Agent
Real Name
David
I'm just about broke because of this sale. I purchased...

By Brakhage V1/V2 (BD)

Lola Montes (BD)

Hoop Deams

The Earrings of Madame de...

Le Plaisir

La Ronde

Make Way for Tomorrow

Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women (Eclipse)

Revanche (BD)

Black Narcissus (BD)

The Red Shoes (BD)

M (BD)

The Testament of Doctor Mabuse

Diabolique

...and I'm thinking about a few more before the sale ends...

Rashomon

The Vanishing

Children of Paradise

Young Mr. Lincoln

The Sword of Doom

Chungking Express (BD)

Hobson's Choice

The Fugitive Kind

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
AAA discount, too?? Where have I been? Is that in stores, online, or both? Is it accepted in addition to the B&N member discount?

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Logged into my B&N cart yesterday and found this little love note waiting for me:

! We are sorry but the following item(s) are no longer available. Please check back with us again at a later date, or search our Out of Print store.
Please edit your cart and remove this item. The Red Shoes. ISBN 715515059312.

That's the Blu-ray. Right now it's no longer listed at BN.com... only the DVD is available. And it's not just showing as out of stock -- it's not there at all, but alive and well on Amazon and DD.

Fortunately, I saw that BEFORE driving to my favorite B&N and GRABBING a copy marked for 50%. Close call, but: W T F?

(The store exhibited a few contradictions of its own, marking some copies of some titles for 50% -- but not all copies. I don't know if that would have mattered at the cash register, but I'm finding this sale in general a little tricky, and definitely selective when it comes to titles.)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, the website has The Red Shoes BD available again -- maybe it was just some sort of inventory glitch.

I ended up just dropping by a local B&N and picked up that plus the Black Narcissus BD using a $5-off-$50 coupon (and our 10% membership discount) -- also needed to add a book to the purchase for the $50 total, but we were going to do that anyway for the kids' summer reading. Each BD came out to ~$15.90+tax.

Just watched Black Narcissus too. Excellent film! And seems to be a superb transfer (for the most part).

I may pick up one more BD (Everlasting Moments) in this sale -- actually, I thought they were going to have it in stock at the store (after checking on the website), but they apparently *just* sold out their last copy of it when I got there.

_Man_

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So how often/when has B&N historically had these 50% off Criterion sales?

I totally made out, and see no reason not to wait for the next 50% and 10% off on top of that member price for all future CC/Eclipse purchases. The price is just too good and you get to walk out with the disks in your hands instead of waiting for A1 courier packages that never arrive (I'm looking at you Amazon).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not too sure. I don't think there's a solid trend just yet, but so far, they've been coming at no more than 6 months apart AFAIK.

Part of the problem w/ trying to predict it is that B&N is going thru some changes these days, so they probably don't have these sales planned out in some sort of predictable cycle. But I'd think the next one would likely come sometime around Thanksgiving (either before or after) and will likely last at least 2 weeks (like most of their sales).

_Man_

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
In the meantime, DeepDiscount has one going right now. Haven't looked at it yet, I think it's for "up to" 45% off. So, not as great as B&N's, but if you must have something right away...

Users who are viewing this thread