1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

B&N Criterion sale beginning 7/13

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Dick, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    Here in Maine, at least, Barnes and Noble is running another half-price sale on all Criterion titles, supposedly for the next several weeks.

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Is this B&M stores only or will the sale be available online as well?

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The sale will be online too. They're ending their current sale tomorrow.

Crawdaddy

4. David Norman

David Norman Premium
    Supporter

Anybody know of any extra coupons -- last Fall I spent a lot of money with the 50% off and the 20% added coupon that was floating around. $20 is nice, but $14-16 made it a huge deal particularly after Amazon lowered a lot of their Criterion to $18 (no tax and free shipping for me).

5. BrianP

BrianP Well-Known Member

The sale started this afternoon online and will begin tomorrow at the stores. If you're looking for coupons and ideas to save money here is the B&N coupon thread at DVDTalk. It has the current online coupons along with printable store coupons.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/533548-barnes-noble-coupon-thread-part-2-a.html

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Well-Known Member

ManW
    Do the various portals actually work for anyone else in terms of the extra discount? I think they used to work for me some time ago, but lately, none seems to work -- even the Bing.com cashback might not work for me anymore.

I've tried clearing cache in both IE6 and Firefox 3.6.x, and that didn't help any.

Without the extra portal discount, I'd probably be better off going to the B&M store (and get the usual 10% off for B&N members) instead although there are only one or two in-store coupons available that work for me (since our B&N membership is old).

Hmmm... Odd, now it seems to be working -- it wasn't working the past week or so when I tried (and ordered a few BDs).

_Man_

7. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

I went to the local Barnes And Noble and picked up the Bottle Rocket Blu-ray this morning.

Thanks for the heads-up on the sale!

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the head's up. I've been wanting to pick up Walkabout since the Blu came out, but just couldn't justify $40 for a movie that I admire and love to look at more than actually enjoy watching. With the Visa link, I got the free expedited shipping. Then I stacked the P7F4N3P non-member code to get the price down to $17.99 plus tax. A Criterion BD for under $20? Consider me sold.

9. Mark-P

Mark-P Well-Known Member

Mark Probst
    I've noticed that the Criterion blu-ray of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is NOT 50% off but the Criterion DVD is. Bummer, I've been wanting to get this blu-ray when I could find it on sale.

10. BrianP

BrianP Well-Known Member

If you live near a store you should check to see if they have one available. The two other previous sales they had every Criterion title on sale at the stores. Online it was only on select titles. Also if the store does not have it they may be able to order it at the sale price.

11. ManW_TheUncool

ManW
    FYI, looks like B&N has updated their site (today) to now exclude the use of coupons of any sort w/ their Criterion sale. The exclusion wasn't there yesterday (nor in previous sales). Bummer!

_Man_

12. BrianP

BrianP Well-Known Member

Store coupons are still working at the moment. Just made a run to a local store and was able to get three of them with printable coupons. Used two $5 coupons and a 15% coupon with my 10% membership discount.

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW

Did you use 2 different $5-off coupons or the same one printed 2x?

I'm going to make run now and hope to get 2 or 3 titles that way.

Thanks.

_Man_

14. BrianP

BrianP Well-Known Member

I used the 2 different $5 coupons to be safe.

15. ManW_TheUncool

ManW
    Success!

Just managed to pick up these 3 completely hassle-free using 2 separate $5 coupons plus a 15% coupon:

8-1/2 - $14.15 (tax included)
    Days of Heaven - $14.15
    Walkabout - $16.66

I also ordered Yojimbo/Sanjuro online yesterday before the change and got the set for ~$30 shipped.

_Man_

16. BrianP

BrianP Well-Known Member

I hope they don't kill the store coupons since I like to buy a few more from my wish list. I also like to get Red Shoes and Black Narcissus next week if possible. I managed to get the following today on blu-ray.

Stagecoach

Ride With the Devil

Walkabout

17. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Well-Known Member

Bummer! I broke down and bought the 3 Criterions that I wanted the most last month. The other that I want (Von Sternberg collection & Charade Blu-Ray) aren't out yet and the deal doesn't work on pre-orders. I might pick up a title if something strikes my eye, but I'll probably wait it out and hopefully they'll do another one before the holidays again.

18. David Norman

David Norman Premium
    Supporter

I was bad today. I went to B&N with some coupons and came out financially poor and though my soul may be a bit tarnished I used those coupons to their fullest. I feel a little like I need to go to confession, but realized I'm not even Catholic.

The stores were quite nice about taking my $5 off 20 coupons and splitting the transactions. but I did limit it to a maximum of 3 per store. 1 of the clerks read the coupon closely for the details, though about it, said Wow, and took the $5 off ($13+tax each). 1 clerk obviously knew the coupon already and immediately rang them up with the discount.

At the 3rd store we had a nice discussion about the wording of the fine print and though I don't think he was quite sure about it took the coupon anyway -- probably helped that I was also buying By Brakhage box with the 15% off coupon at the same time so it would have only been a 2.50 difference if the coupons had been used in reverse order. It was so much nicer than having those discussions at Best Buy/Walmart/etc where they accuse you of forging coupons or photoshopping them and I would have been happy to buy the same 2 discs even if he had refused just for being civil about it.

And to top it off when I got home "Che" had been delivered.

Today's Catch:

Che

The Leopard

Paris, Texas

Summer Hours

By BrakhageV1/V2

Mystery Train

Stagecoach

Ride With the Devil

Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter

Since I was feeling a little too cultured for one day, I stopped at Best Buy and picked up Flash Gordon and The Jackal in their 2 for 20 deals.

19. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

Hit a B&N first thing last Tuesday morning and immediately got shot down trying to use the $5 off $20 coupon. In fact I subsequently got shot down at the other two locations as well. That really screwed up my plans.

Couldn't wait any longer for Days Of Heaven or Walkabout, so i ended up using a $5 off $50 with some other things.

So over the weekend I hit the same stores, and the new clerks this time all took the $5 off $20 with no problems.

If I average all the $40 titles out, they're coming to a little over $16 each (compared to the $14.14 they would cost if I'd been able to use the $5 off on every purchase). I'd be an ass to complain since that's still a great price considering most of them are also Blu-rays.

the haul so far-

Walkabout (Blu-ray)

Days Of Heaven (Blu-ray)

Bigger Than Life (Blu-ray)

The Man Who Fell To Earth (Blu-ray)

8 1/2 (Blu-ray)

The Leopard (Blu-ray)

Paris, Texas (Blu-ray)

Divorce, Italian Style

Night Train To Munich

still planning to pick up

Monsters And Madmen

The Red Shoes

Revanche

Downhill Racer

Black Narcissus

M

20. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Anyone know how long this sale runs? I recall it was clearly stated during the same sale last summer, albeit in lighter, finer print...but I'm not seeing it at all this time. Thanks!