What's new

B&M store in the greater Wash. D.C.area, speaker shopping. (1 Viewer)

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
My Costco bought KLM speakers are 20+ years old. I figure it is time to upgrade. I live in a rural area ~80 miles outside DC. There isn't a store I know of where I can audition speakers locally. So I'm willing to travel, nothing new there... I'm willing to go to the area around DC, prefer Va. but will go to Md if that's what it takes. Fairfax, Loudon, Alexandria, PG or Montgomery counties is what I'm thinking. Others too. I'd like some places where I can audition speakers, preferably with a Sony AVR. Thanks!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I assume you have a Sony AVR? May wish to see if you can bring it to hear with the speakers you wish to audition as not every place may have a Sony AVR. Besides Magnolia is Best Buy stores, there is Gifted Listener in Centreville, IQ AV is Fairfax, Deja Vu in McLean, Evolution AV is Tysons and a few in Maryland. Not sure exactly where you are located but Crutchfield besides their catalogs also has retail stores. There is one in Harrisonburg and one in Charlottesville. Never been to Charlottesville but they had a decent amount of open box stuff at decent deals in Harrisonburg when I was there.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
MikeSh said:
Thanks Phil.
Mike - you can also go to www.stereo411.com. It's slightly dated but may have one or two I left out. I suspect with a Sony AVR (I used one - Sony ES - in my secondary bedroom system many moons ago - still have it on a secondary computer but does not see tons of use) you want something that is not a real difficult load (i.e. 6 or 8 ohms) and is also a bit above average (e.g. 87db) in efficiency, unless you have a medium or small room or tend to play it a bit lower. The amps in the receiver are going to share power supplies and with multiple speakers being driven it makes it easier on the receiver and speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks