What's new

B&K sounds divine, EXCEPT FOR DVD!!! (no surround volume?!?) (1 Viewer)

Matt_ES

Agent
Just bought a used B&K 307 receiver from an original owner, have JM Lab Cobalt-S, Center, fronts, and Surround 800's + SW800.

Music, Stereo, Surround (digital cable in DTS!!!), everything sounds like it should, and better than I expected. But, with both Kill Bill's played back to back, there was hardly a peep coming out of the rears. I played around all throughout the movies, THX, Surround mode 5-6-&7, and never got an audible signal from the rears, and the center sounds like a blanket's in front of it.

I must be doing something wrong, or the DVD's not doing the job.

So far I'm delighted.
Anyone know why my 4 y/o Sony DVD sounds like shit, while my digital cable sounds phenom? The rears really sing with the center and fronts, but there is virtually (almost) no sound from the rears during DVD play.

Is it because I'm using the Fiber cable for audio?
Or is my DVD player too old to process signals on this level of quality?

My dad says maybe it's the movie, but it was Kill Bill II for god's sake! That should have the ultimate sound. The Center sounds so muffled and cluttered, it's almost inaudible speach! But again, cable TV and CD's played in surround (pro-logic) sound divine. I don't even want to play it loud it's so clear! At 32, a first in my life.

I know I have some educating myself when it comes to a receiver on this level of quality, but I don't know where to start!

Chip E

Screenwriter
Sounds like a calibration issue to me. Have you calibrated your receiver using the internal test tones with a Rat Shack SPL meter? Set speakers levels,distance,etc..? If not, you need to go to Radio Shack, in store or online and buy one ASAP. Check the link below.

Radio Shack analog SPL meter

Dan J S

Agent
First gotta cover the basics: are you sure the receiver is locking onto a DD or DTS signal from the DVD player? The display should read "Dolby D 5" or "DTS 5". If it says "Dolby D 2" then your speaker settings on the DVD input are not correct. As a test you could swap inputs - connect the DVD player to your CATV input. Next thing to try would be to change from using optical to coaxil digital cable.

You might be able to adjust the rear channel volume independently for each source, but I'm not sure so check the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks