What's new

B&K Ref 30 RAM error...any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Hey, all. I have a B&K Ref 30 that is about a month old. I actually haven't had a chance to use it much, but it has been plugged in and in sleep mode, so there has been power going to it. Today I went to watch a movie and was greeted with a RAM ERROR 32142 message. I powered off the unit and brought it back and the error message went away, but does anyone have any ideas why this may have popped up? Do I need to exchange the unit?
On a related note, you may recall an earlier post I made about the Ref 7270 amp where it basically burned itself out in less than a day, and I had to wait two weeks for a replacement. Now the preamp is acting flaky. I haven't read that B&K gear is particularly error prone or fussy, but this makes two problems in less than a month on gear that costs over 5 grand. My trusty Yamaha receiver has been going strong with no problems for 5 years, and cost a fifth of what the B&K cost. Is this the price one pays for getting nicer gear, or am I just extremely unlucky with this stuff? :frowning:
Your thoughts are appreciated...

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

Do you have any type of surge supression gear hooked up to your system at all?

B&K gear is known for being rock steady, and I used a Ref 30 in my system for about 18 months with a total of zero problems.

The fact that both are failing in an unusual fashion points to something like a power surge or some other power related anomaly.

Regards,

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Hmm...I have a Monster surge protector, but on the advice of other HTF'ers I don't have the power amp plugged into it, although the preamp is. I haven't noticed a problem with power spikes--the most that happens is the lights will dim slightly when the central air kicks on, but my theater gear is on a dedicated circuit and doesn't seem to be affected by it.
Glad to hear B&K is normally a solid brand--the research I did prior to my purchase indicated that, but my experience has proven to be otherwise thus far. Still, I don't discount the possibility that by some cosmic coincidence I got two fluky pieces from a normally solid manufacturer...it's the kind of things that happens a lot in my life. :)
I appreciate the feedback. I was curious to hear what exactly a RAM error was; I will give B&K tech support a ring to see what they say about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks