1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

B&K ref 200.5 vs. ref 7250

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve_B, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Steve_B

Steve_B Auditioning

My local B&K dealer is offering a new Ref 7250 with an updated faceplate to match the Ref50 at a price quite a bit lower than the 200.5. Aside from the balanced inputs available on the 200.5 (which I am not sure if I am interested in) would there be any reason to get the 200.5 instead of the 7250? The specs look pretty similar.

Matched with the ref 50 at $2K, I am thinking it would be a pretty good package at a good price.

Any thoughts?

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

From what i remember being told by my dealer, who is a friend of mine and from reading different things, there isn't really any sonic difference between the two. I'd say go for the 7250 at a great price. I have the Ref50-Ref200.5-Ref200.2 in my rack. I'm very happy with it. [​IMG]

BTW, i do use the balanced connections. I've never tried the RCA connections. Sounds great and is extremely easy to connect & disconnect with the balanced cables. They snap in with a gentle push and lock down tight right away.

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I have heard that the 7250 and 200.5 are basically the same, with the 200.5 having a little larger toroidal transformers, or something of the like, but sounding basically the same. Also, I believe that the 7250 Series II has balanced inputs, in case you need them.

ps. $2k for a Ref 50 and a 7250 is a friggin' steal. What a great dealer you have!

4. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I don't have a 7250, but do have the 7270 Series II. It doesn't have balanced inputs. The specs are the same on the 200.7 and 7270 Series II. From what I understand, B&K added balanced inputs, removed the variable level controls, and changed the face plate when they put the 200.7 on the market. I'm not aware of anything else done to change anything internal. You won't notice a sound character or output level difference between the 200.5 and 7250.

Unless you have a need to run very long cables from your pre/pro to the amplifier, there's really no need to go with an amplifier design that has balanced inputs. I'm using mine with 1 meter lengths of RCA interconnects. If you don't need to take advantage of the lower potential noise level of balanced cables, why spend the extra money? A fair price on new-in-box Series II amplifiers seems to be about 60 percent of the price of the newer 200.x designs. There seem to be a few Series II amps floating around on the market still.

5. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I also have a 7270. According to B&K there aren't any differences between it and th 200.7 with the exception of the balanced inputs and faceplate.

6. Clem

Clem Agent

Am I reading this right?? A new ref50 plus a new 7250 for $2,000?? Where is this dealer? Even with the new price drops this is an amazing deal................

7. Steve_B

Steve_B Auditioning

No, the price for the 7250 was around $2K plus $2K for the Ref50. Not both for $2K.

Still a good deal getting both for around $4K I think?

Sorry for the confusion.

8. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

the store i work at has them both for $3K. its an amazing deal. get em while you can [​IMG]