What's new

B.J. AND THE BEAR (1 Viewer)

banjo78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
CharlieBravo
All I've heard lately is its a slow process as they are still trying to track down masters. Sorry I have no more info
CJ

sako0099

Auditioning
Real Name
Hansen
banjo78 said:
All I've heard lately is its a slow process as they are still trying to track down masters. Sorry I have no more info
CJ
Old message was that they got 16mm from UNIVERSAL or is it UNIVERSAL IS SO INCOMPETENT they can't even keep organized vaults of film ? Also can you tell the compamny looking at releaseing BJ AND TEH BEAR ........... PPPLLLEEAASSDEEEEE look at THE MISADVENTURES OF SHERIFF LOBO AND ITS SECOND SEASON LOBO

animatonfan

Auditioning
Real Name
avery
Neil Brock said:
So you say one thing and the person who is in charge of Universal licensing and clearances tells me something else. I must be an idiot that I actually am listening to him and not you.
Spoken like a person who does not know the law I see, Covers do not have go back to people the song was covered from, only the new singer and if execs had brains, they would have put better contracts so tons of other shows would not get caught up in music rights///bad written contract hell

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Just give me a great quality print of Anne Lockhart's Pogo Lil bikini episode (on the heels of her Hardy Boys episode this week) and I'll be happy! :)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
animatonfan said:
Spoken like a person who does not know the law I see, Covers do not have go back to people the song was covered from, only the new singer and if execs had brains, they would have put better contracts so tons of other shows would not get caught up in music rights///bad written contract hell
Another bashing newbie! :f I've been here a few months and find Neil to be quite in the know. And as far as "better contracts" go, no one was even remotely aware that this situation with music rights would come up when these shows were being made. The home video market was something that was practically non-existent during the time of BJ and the Bear and no one had a clue that 35 years down the road someone would wish to own season sets on a then non-existent format. Perhaps you might do well to get a clue. :)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Ron1973 said:
Another bashing newbie! :f I've been here a few months and find Neil to be quite in the know. And as far as "better contracts" go, no one was even remotely aware that this situation with music rights would come up when these shows were being made. The home video market was something that was practically non-existent during the time of BJ and the Bear and no one had a clue that 35 years down the road someone would wish to own season sets on a then non-existent format. Perhaps you might do well to get a clue. :)
:tu:

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
animatonfan said:
You show your lack of knowledge. How many bands have you dealt with on rights issues and cover songs ? I bet none, I have been involved in over 50.. This Neil is the know nothing. Also INTELLEGENT people back then (and just ones using good ole fashion COMMON SENSE) would have known about rights issues and music rights BECAUSE vhs was being developed, see the dolts who run HOLLYWOOD only think about the next quarter and not for the future. Because the executives in the 70s and even now are too IGNORANT to realize, "hhhhmmm technology changes and there is 1 format now, but we better write contracts so we can monetize them in the future on whatever format that replaces them" --- IF EXECS CAN NOT EVEN FATHOM THAT, THEN THEY SHOULD BE FIRED, BECAUSE EVEN A 1ST GRADER CAN REALIZE, TECHNOLOGY IS 1 THING TODAY, BUT WE REPLACE IT IN FUTURE BUT ONLY FOR THE DELIVERY METHOD, WHAT IS DELIVERED STILL NEEDS SAME CONTRACTS FOR NO MATTER WHAT METHOD.
Ahh, I love people who are entertaining! Ever so often we get some newbie who comes along and wants to take everyone, including the studios, to task. It's called trolling and I see it on almost every forum. If Neil were a "know nothing" as you so quaintly put it, I don't believe he would have survived 4 years and 1500+ posts.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Everybody needs to cool out and focus on the shows, not on who knows what or their number of posts. Agreed?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The bottom line is that this show has a ton of music which would have to be cleared or replaced. In addition, there are no uncut tape masters and they would have to go back to the original source, which Universal would charge several hundred thousand dollars to do. Those are facts and no trolls are going to change them.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Brock said:
The bottom line is that this show has a ton of music which would have to be cleared or replaced. In addition, there are no uncut tape masters and they would have to go back to the original source, which Universal would charge several hundred thousand dollars to do. Those are facts and no trolls are going to change them.
Exactly! As much as I like BJ, the small cult following it has isn't enough to justify the cost that it would incur to remaster these. Universal is a business just like any other business and the cost of something must justify the return. In this economy, I don't see B.J. and the Bear even breaking even. IF by some chance Universal ever took the plunge to remaster these from the original elements, there would still be people like animatonfan who would find something to nitpick about the set because Greg Evigan didn't get interviewed, expecting him to simply donate his time to them or because Universal was too cheap to pay him for an interview, etc. Really, they're in a no-win situation. Shout! nor any other 3rd party is going to find it cost effective to pick up B.J. Again, as Neil said, it will be too cost prohibitive for these to be restored from the original masters and they're probably not going to take a chance and release the edited shows to DVD due to the huge backlash of criticism they would receive.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Universal does need to remaster the shows in HD so they can exploit them on their Cozi-TV channel or sell them to other stations in a package with Sheriff Lobo.

haveaday

Auditioning
Real Name
klean
Neil Brock said:
You are a misinformation officer if I ever seen one 1st off, yes unedited tape masters exist 2nd off, they would only have pay the person who sung the song and/or changed it from its original version, as cover songs have a lot of loopholes that allow them not to have pay the original artist, it is sad people like you NEIL spew the false info you do and not the facts 3rd, going back to original negatives does not cost as much as you quoted, they would only charge that much to screw the American viewing public

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
haveaday said:
You are a misinformation officer if I ever seen one 1st off, yes unedited tape masters exist 2nd off, they would only have pay the person who sung the song and/or changed it from its original version, as cover songs have a lot of loopholes that allow them not to have pay the original artist, it is sad people like you NEIL spew the false info you do and not the facts 3rd, going back to original negatives does not cost as much as you quoted, they would only charge that much to screw the American viewing public
I bet if someone does an IP check on our newbie friends here, the addresses match!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
haveaday said:
1 - You know this how? 2 - Right. So the publishers and the song writers have nothing to do with it? Sure. 3 - So, the $5000 an hour that they pay in-house to transfer is BSt and you know otherwise? You work for Universal?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
1 - You know this how? 2 - Right. So the publishers and the song writers have nothing to do with it? Sure. 3 - So, the $5000 an hour that they pay in-house to transfer is BSt and you know otherwise? You work for Universal?
Neil, you are in the dark about this. Your estimates of in house, and music costs are always wildly exorbitant. If costs were anywhere near prices you say The first 5 seasons of SNL, and Miami Vice complete series would never even be considered for dvd release. Stop needling memebers of this forum with your faulty info. You do more harm than good.

banjo78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
CharlieBravo
As I said earlier, I know of an overseas company trying their hardest to secure this show for release. Universal are not making it easy though. They are having trouble tracking down some of the masters. It's still in early stages so I'm not at liberty to name the company at present. I will try and get an update in the next couple of days. On a side note, I recently had some questions answered kindly by Greg Evigan about BJ and the Bear and you can read them here. He does talk about the DVD rights issue. link; http://www.facebook.com/groups/209987832375051/permalink/531496000224231/

haveaday

Auditioning
Real Name
klean
Ron1973 said:
I bet if someone does an IP check on our newbie friends here, the addresses match!
So you are admitting you want people to stalk me ? That is sick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks