What's new

Axiom speakers for HT (1 Viewer)

I am thinking about axioms for the HT. I need some help with the configuration though. Here is what I am currently thinking:

Front Set of M60ti's, VP100 center
Side Set of QS8's
Rear Set of M22ti's

My sub will be an SVS either 16-46 or 20-39 (PC Plus)

Questions:

Do I need surrounds in the back as well as sides (So should I put QS8's there)?

Should I just go with the M22's up front?

VP150 center?

Room is 12x15

Receiver will be HK AVR 8000 (unless I find a better option)

Thanks for your help/comments!

Peter

Leo_P

Second Unit
I have M40's and a VP100 up front and M3's as rears.
My first piece of advice is to go with the VP150 no matter what mains you end up getting. IMHO, the VP100 isn't enough speaker for a center channel. Don't get me wrong, it's a good speaker, but definitely the weak link in my Axiom set-up.
Also, forget about M22's as rears. I think that'd be a big waste. If you're going to get direct-radiating speakers in the back, I'd look at the new M2i or one of it's little brothers in the Axiom line. My M3's are a waste in the back, 'cause they make VERY nice mains, but when I bought the M40's the M3's got bumped to the back.
As far as the QS' go I have not listened to them but most who have say they give you an enveloping soundfield. One thing I don't like about them is that they don't go that low in freq. response. I cross my speakers over at 80Hz and the QS' don't go that low, which means you have to cross them over higher (if possible) and that might make bass localization an issue. Just food for thought.
As far as M60's vs. M22's, it all depends on what kind of sound you want, how loud you want it and if you prefer bookshelf or tower speakers. I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice but they're two different animals. FYI, I was thinking about getting the M60's 'til they had a sale on M40's and that was that.
But above all else, shoot on over to www.axiomaudio.com and post on the message boards and I'm sure they'll help you out.
Good luck!

Jason Co

Second Unit
Peter,
I currently have the M50's as mains, VP150 center and QS4s for surrounds. I have never listened to the 100 as a center but I will tell you that the 150 is an awesome speaker. The only issue you might have with it, is the fact that it is a very large speaker. I would suggest getting the specs on it and measuring your space before ordering it. I have never noticed the bass issue that Leo talked about with the quad pole surrounds. The big advantage with either of the QS models is that they are much more flexible as far as placement is concerned. It is very rare that you will find a room that is perfect for HT, and these speakers sound great no matter where you put them. Good luck with your decision and I don't think you can go wrong with Axiom as your choice.

Jason

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
my bro-in-law has an Axiom 6.1 setup with the H/K 8000. It sounds awesome.

M80 front
vp150 center
qs8 surround

I agree with Leo, go for the vp150 center.

I myself have the m40, vp150,qs4. It sounds great, but I love the sound that my bro-in-law has. The m80 is just more dynamic than my m40. But then again my room is only 9x10 so my setup is perfect and I'm running them with a marantz 4200 (planning on getting some external amplification for the fronts). I was also going for the m60 but got a great deal on the m40 from Marc at the Audioshop.

THe Axioms are excellent for the price and they sound better than other systems that cost more. the m60 would be great for your room's size.

The qs8 in the sides/rear would be just fine. or put 2 qs8 on the sides and 1 or 2 qs8 for the rears if you want to go all out on a 6.1 or 7.1 setup. But I thinks it might be an overkill for your rooms size. Keep in mind the H/K8000 is 5 ch amplification you will need an external amp to run the surrounds.

If you need assistance I suggest you give MArc at the Audioshop a call. He is very helpful/informative and great to deal with.

You can't go wrong with the Axioms they are a great value!

Chad Sunderland

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I have exactly the same size room as you, and I just got an Axiom system last week.
Before my purchase, my plans were to go with M60's for fronts, VP150 for center, and QS8's for rears. Then, I noticed Axiom's website has a place where you can E-mail Axiom telling them your room size, and see what they reccomend. I did this, and told them what speakers I was considering. There reply was, that in this size of a room, they suggest M22's for front over the M60's. Their reason being, that the M60's would be a lot more directional in a small room, and that the M22's would give a better transition between left and right. They also told me they would go with QS4's over QS8's in my size of room, their reason for this was that the QS8's were designed to be played louder and for larger rooms, and that I would probably would not get there full potential from my room size. They also told me the VP150 is the one they would suggest for the center, which is the one I wanted to go with originally anyway.
Since Axiom told me to go with cheaper speakers, even though I told them what I was considering, I felt they were truely telling me what would be best. I spent around $500 less than I had planned because of there suggestions!
Now that everything is hooked up, I couldn't be happier. These Axioms sound wonderful to my ears. Just one word of warning, let them play awhile! ;) As soon as I hooked them up I was a little dissapointed, but after only about an hour of playing time they took on a whole new sound, and I think they are improving everyday (keep in mind, they are only a week old)
Let us know what you decide!
Chad

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I'd buy the VP 150 for the center and two pairs of QS8's for the sides and rear centers.

Ron

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
My 6.1 Axiom system consists of the following:

M60's
QS8's
VP150
EP175

Yamaha RX-V1300

Simply amazing!!

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Got my M22ti's for fronts and VP-150 center channel this week (keeping old surrounds for now), and they are truly outstanding. Paired with my H/K AVR-520, I couldn't be happier. The VP-150 is an absolute beast, but damn does it sound good. Much thanks to the board for all of the good recommendations of Axiom speakers.

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I just listened to M3's for fronts, QS8's in the rear, VP150 and EP350. Wow...very clear and detailed the EP350 rocked the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks