What's new

Axiom owners, Klipsch owners, Where ya at?? (1 Viewer)

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I need opinions and thoughts on Klipsh Synergy III series vs Axioms MT60's, the VT150 and the QS 8's

thoughts or opinions on these brands is much appreciated...

I have narrowed my search to these two brands and need to keep the price at or below 2500 dollars.

Thank You.

Dan Keefe

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
With a budget of $2500, stay away from the Synergy line and go with the Reference series. You could easily find a pr. of RF-7's, RC-7, and RS-7 surrounds for that budget.

scott>c

Second Unit
I had that same exact Axiom setup. My friend who also owned axioms(m22`s not 60`s though) and I had done a comparison of the 60`s vs Jbl s-312`s and Klipsck Klf-20`s. Lets just say I still have the Klipsch and my friend now owns Ascend. Axiom does have beautiful looking speakers though.....

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator
I chose Axioms after comparing them to Klipsch. I found that Klipsch were a bit harsh. Klipsch are certainly efficient though, and that may be something you need to consider. Also, while I don't mean to add unnecessary confusion, you may also want to consider paradigm.

But all in all, you're not going to know what you prefer unless you demo them. This is subjective.

Good luck hunting.

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Klipsh Synergy i would stay away from with that budget. i just recently purchased some Klipsh Ref series and i am very happy with them. they are very easy to drive. i don't have to turn up the receiver volume as high as with the Polks i had. for music i dont think klipsh are that good, i think they make for better HT speakers. as for Axiom i dunno, i was considering them but was able to purchase the Klipsh local and at a very nice discount. he gave me $150 off the center, and $200 off the mains i could not pass that up. by the way i to only 100%HT use.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
With a $2,500 budget I would audition:

Front Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 7 ($650)
Center: Paradigm CC-370 ($300)
Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-370 ($650)
Subwoofer: SVS PB12–Plus ($900)

Dan Keefe

Second Unit

I guess I should have mentioned I have already ordered an SVS PB12-Plus/2

the 2500 dollars is strictly for the rest of the speakers

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Dan - That changes things! In that case I would audition:

Front Speakers: Paradigm Studio 60
Center: Paradigm Studio CC-470 or CC-570
Surrounds: Paradigm Studio ADP-470

These speakers are phenominal, and a huge step up from the Paradigm Monitor's. Also, you made a solid choice on the subwoofer.

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Alon here. I liken Axiom's to Paradigm's monitor line, but for that price point you could get Paradigm studios...

On the other hand, I don't know what you're driving them with, so maybe the efficiency of Klipsch would suit you better. But make sure you demo the speakers you are choosing, I think Klipsch and axiom or paradigm sound very different. it's really a matter of preference.

Best of luck.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit

Going to Edinboro today to listen to all of the above...The salesman was already trying to up me to the Studio 100's on the phone...I told him with the SVS sub I bought I shouldn't need the 100's.

Alon, do you think that is a correct assessment?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
The Studio 100's will blow your budget in any case, because you'd need to pair with a CC-570 center channel. Price them out while you're there just to be sure. Of course the salesman will talk you up to the higher priced speakers, but go ahead and audition both, your ears won't lie.

Let us know how it goes!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Dan, have you actually listened to those brands you listed? Just wanted to mention every speaker brand mentioned so far could be categorized as "bright" and/or "overly analytical", by myself and other people with similar tastes.

Personally, I would also try to audition brands that have a more subdued personality. For me,

Tannoy
Dynaudio
Cambridge SoundWorks
Boston Acoustics
Vienna Acoustics
Sonus-Faber

and many other less well known but still well-regarded manufacturers also share this trait. They can reproduce fine detail but they manage to do it with less sterility.

btw: I was extremely close to buying KLF-20s around 2001 when Tweeter was selling them for only $800/pair when they were discontinued but I just didn't have the room for them. :frowning: Yep, bad recordings through them still sounded bad, but they were still fun speakers to listen to, espeically with good recordings. To me the 20s were the last of the old-skool Klipschs i.e. forward sounding highs and punchy lows but somehow tuned in such a way that they *weren't* overly analytical (maybe they weren't 100% perfectly accurate but I don't care about that: like "perfect" people that do absolutely nothing wrong, perfect speakers can be really boring to hang out with ;) ).

Dan Keefe

Second Unit

I haven't auditioned the axioms...I just have heard good things about them and they are a sponsor here.
I like the klipsch...alot. I like "bright". It's probably just me, but if it isn't bright, it sounds muffled or muddy to me. You are right it is personal taste. I have been running Fishers on my setup from the 80's. I had a boston Acoustics center channel, two Radio Shack surrounds and a 12" Cerwin Vega 300 watt Sub...It still sounded IMO better than the theaters around here.

But we moved this summer and that setup is not gonna git er done in my new room. So this is a huge upgrade for me. I don't know what to expect from the Paradigms. I am using it as an excuse to get out of the house. But I have never heard paradigms before and was surprised to find a dealer near here...so we will see...

Currently, my room is in a shambles as I am building the entertainment center around my 65" Sony.... then there is that box in the corner...the one with my SVS sub that arrived yesterday... :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I'd go for the Klipsch Reference series then. I've heard those several times & liked them. A little tamer than older Klispchs but still fun. The Klipschs sold at Best Buy...well.....:frowning: (and I don't like their build quality: IMO overly thin cabinet material [knocking on a sub produced a "bonking" sound] and too much plastic).

BTW: here is Klipsch's page for their Heritage line of speakers i.e. models that have been around for years (they were all just recently subtly updated earlier this year). So many people like them that they brought back another one from the past, the Cornwall, back around January. Not cheap but that kind of performance is worth it.

scott>c

Second Unit
Yeah I`ve auditioned Axioms (m60`s,vp150, m22`s and Qs8`s). Some of the best lookng speakers I had but the Klipsch crushed them in a speaker shootout I had. My friend also owned the Axioms and was crushed at how they faired vs the klf 20`s. They sounded very blanketed and came last as some Jbl 312`s got 2nd. Needless to say we both sold off the Axioms. He now has Ascends and I still have the Klipsch Legends in my setup. I also have Paradigm speakers in my 2nd setup. CC-300, 7semk3`s and 3se`s for rears. I love the older Paradigms with the soft dome tweeters cuz their great for music. The studio v3`s are on the bright side also as I have been auditioning a pair of studio 40`s that I have for sale. Also just got some studio 20`s v2 and they seem 2 have a very nice musical quality about them. Too early to really judge though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks