What's new

Axiom M60's/VP150 Center & Denon 1802 - too little power? (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I'm in the middle of purchasing a pair of used M60's and a VP150 center. I've wanted these speakers for a while and finally will be able to get them at a price I can afford.

Right now I'm running JBL Studio series (S26II) all around powered by a Denon 1802. The Denon is rated at 80w/channel (five channels). I'm sure I get less than that when running all the speakers. I cannot find any official real-world tested numbers on my receiver.

I've never experienced it, but I've read all over that one can blow speakers when driving them hard with an underpowered amp. My questions is, are these speakers large enough to worry about that with an 1802? They seem a fair amount larger than my JBL's. I'd hate to turn up the knob during some two channel listening and worry about draining the amp. I'm not sure if there is some sort of safety built into a receiver manufactured in 2002 that will prevent this from happening. Unfortunately my 1802 does not have five channel pre-outs, so I cannot simply add an amp.

Thanks for any input.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You will not have a problem driving those speakers with your Denon. Depending on room size, 80 watts is enough for insane volume with those speakers. I am currently using a 100 watt AVR (which is barely more power than yours) with the same Axioms.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Thanks, guys. I didn't realize that was misinformation. I haven't read it in a while. I just remember reading it a few times when I first began my home theater journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks