What's new

Axiom Audio / HTF Audiobyte Computer Speaker Contest (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
:star: :star: Winners Announced :star: : star:

1st prize - Dave Robbins
2nd prize - Brandy S
3rd prize - Todd H

Dave:

Amie will be contacting you to get a color choice from you.

Brandy and Todd:

Your prizes will be shipped out on Monday.

__________________________________________________ _______

Thanks to everyone that entered. Our thanks go out to the great people at Axiom Audio for running this contest for our members.

Parker

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I received my Axiom Audio speakers today and I will share my impressions with you. I am not an expert in speakers and audio terminology, but I do know when something sounds good and when it doesn’t, so you may get a kick out of how I evaluate speakers.

One of the characteristics that I look for is how they feel. My experience is that speakers must have a solid feel and a certain amount of mass to them. I think that this insures that the actual speakers and not the cabinet produce the sound. As I took the Axiom speakers out of the box, they have that solid feel that I would expect. They have weight and are well put together.

Usually my wife wants me to hide the computer speakers behind the monitor. The Axiom Audio speakers have a high enough WAF that they can sit out front. I had my choice between colors and I chose the Charcoal. It adds more color to my area and fits in nicely with the black keyboard and monitor. Personally I think they have a classy look that doesn’t look “cheap”. Unfortunately my picture quality doesn't show this well.

When I unpacked the amplifier my first thought was how heavy and bigger it is than I expected. It reminded me of my theater receiver. I wondered where I would put it so the volume is accessible, but I wouldn’t have to see it. It sits nicely on top of my computer under the desk. The volume control is the only control out front. It is large enough that I can find it easily by feel and not have to look for it. The wiring is not that thin type that usually come with computer speakers. They are about 3/16 in diameter and plug in instead of those red and black clips.

So how do they sound? They are easily the best sounding computer speakers I have heard. Now they are also a better class of speaker than other computer speakers I have had. I gave my old speakers a listen before hooking up the Axiom Audio speakers. The old speakers reminded me of listening to the dashboard speaker in my dad’s old station wagon.

Here is what I listen for in speakers regardless if they are stereo, car or theater speakers. I listen for clarity and sharpness in the highs produced by cymbals. I look for a full rich sound that the drums and bass can produce. Then I listen to see how well the vocals can be heard and how it all blends at both high and low volumes. I opened Itunes and set the Equalizer on the ”rock” setting and the computer volume is 2/3 up.

1. Pink Floyd – Dogs. I am first impressed with what I think is called the sound stage. I don’t hear sound localized from a right and left speaker. I hear a full sound that is coming from across the front of my monitor.
2. Beethoven’s 9th symphony. The flutes sound crystal clear.
3. Jimi Hendrix – All Along the Watchtower. It had rich bass, but not a deep as I like. The sub would definitely fill this in, but it wasn’t part of the prize. I am not complaining though.
4. Foo Fighters – Everlong. Nice clean sound during both the quieter moments and the jamming portion.

How do they sound for gaming? I usually only play solitaire or Bloon Tower Defense. Not much audio there to brag about, But the cards being dealt did have that crisp snap to them. I usually show off my theater using Star Wars 3. The opening THX intro, the classical sound of the Star Wars theme, the rich sound of the star ships all sounded great. Not quite the 5.1 sound of my theater, but hey these are computer speakers.

In summary, the Axiom Audio computer speakers impressed me with their looks, feel and most of all the quality of the sound. They are truly top notch speakers. I am thankful I won these speakers from Axiom Audio through HTF and will enjoy them for years to come.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Whoah - the location of the woofer is brilliant. You don't fear any magnetic interference with hard drives? Are these kinds of things usually magneticallt shielded?

Those speakers look great I am jealous!!!!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The sub was not included in the prize package. That is the receiver located on top of the computer tower. The blue light is the back lit volume control. I didn't think about magnetic interference when I placed it there, but I haven't had any issues. I think to get interference, the magnet would have to be really close to the hard drives. There is a CD, DVD and yes a floppy "A" drive in the top portion of the computer, so there is 4-6 inches in between the receiver and the hard drives.

I have been listening to them a lot this weekend and I wish I could better convey how good these sound and I am not just saying this because I won them. Many times I found myself stopping what I was doing on the computer because the quality and clarity of the music distracted me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks