What's new

avroman; Introducing myself. (1 Viewer)

avroman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren Thomson
I live in Brisbane , Australia, and am a retired theatre owner. I worked in the theatre industry for 59 years, starting in 1953 ( The year Wide Screen and Stereo Surround Sound commenced ), and Retiring at the end of 2012.
My name is Warren Thomson and the name of my Theatre was the Avro, The Theatre was opened by my Grandfather in 1914.
All of my career, I was particularly passionate about Projection and Sound quality, and during the 1960's, 70's, and 80's took special pleasure in screening almost every 70mm release. Initially, in the 1960's, ( when Television's impact was still being felt ), my profits would not afford the price of new Projection equipment, so with generous assistance from a good friend, we set about construction from the ground up, of a pair of 70mm Projectors, completed in a backyard shed, and installed 6 months later, in the theatre.
In the early 1980's , I eventually installed a new 70mm Projector and 70/35 Platter.

I always was, and still am passionate about movies , and movie Projection, so my Home Theatre, which I built in 1993, is the focus of the majority of my interests.
It stands as a separate building in my back garden, is 30ft by 20ft, is sound proofed, light proofed, and Air Conditioned.
It has 3 levels of Theatre Seating (a total of 18 seats ), a raised projection room , 20ft by 8ft, with Projection Ports just below ceiling height.
The screen is 15ft wide, and 9ft high with sides and bottom screen masking enabling screen ratios from 1.2:1 to 2.8:1.
The theatre is currently equipped with Epson EHTW9000W projector , 9.2 Audio System, all fully calibrated, and is beautiful.
I derive huge pleasure from my collection of Blurays, SACD's, DVD's, and CD's, and also dabble in my associated hobby of 3D amateur Movie Production.

Currently, I excitedly await the arrival of the "My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary" Bluray , and am particularly anticipating the eventual release of the movie that has always been special for me, "Around The World in 80 Days".
When "80 Days" was originally released in Australia, no theatres were equipped for 70mm, so all initial screenings were with the "Cinestage" 35mm Prints, so I am especially keen to see a good restoration from original TODD AO elements,

That's all from me just now,
Cheers, Warren Thomson, avroman.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Cheers Warren and welcome to the forum. That's an impressive resume and jealous of your home theater. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Wow now THAT is an awesome first post!!!! Welcome Warren, looking forward to your insights! Your "external building" setup reminds me of the one our pal and fellow forum member Jeremy Kipnis has setup, I am very curious to see pics of yours if you are willing to share!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Warren:

Welcome to the HTF! :welcome:

We have a strong contingent of members from Australia...and we also have a fair number of long-tenured & retired projectionists (you types that actually cared about your craft!) among our membership. Not too surprisingly, if you check out our threads on My Fair Lady and 80 Days, you will find most of those people in love with 70mm film hanging out there.

My Fair Lady #1

My Fair Lady #2

Around the World in 80 Days

70mm RoadShows

avroman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren Thomson
I live in Brisbane , Australia, and am a retired theatre owner. I worked in the theatre industry for 59 years, starting in 1953 ( The year Wide Screen and Stereo Surround Sound commenced ), and Retiring at the end of 2012.
My name is Warren Thomson and the name of my Theatre was the Avro, The Theatre was opened by my Grandfather in 1914.
All of my career, I was particularly passionate about Projection and Sound quality, and during the 1960's, 70's, and 80's took special pleasure in screening almost every 70mm release. Initially, in the 1960's, ( when Television's impact was still being felt ), my profits would not afford the price of new Projection equipment, so with generous assistance from a good friend, we set about construction from the ground up, of a pair of 70mm Projectors, completed in a backyard shed, and installed 6 months later, in the theatre.
In the early 1980's , I eventually installed a new 70mm Projector and 70/35 Platter.

I always was, and still am passionate about movies , and movie Projection, so my Home Theatre, which I built in 1993, is the focus of the majority of my interests.
It stands as a separate building in my back garden, is 30ft by 20ft, is sound proofed, light proofed, and Air Conditioned.
It has 3 levels of Theatre Seating (a total of 18 seats ), a raised projection room , 20ft by 8ft, with Projection Ports just below ceiling height.
The screen is 15ft wide, and 9ft high with sides and bottom screen masking enabling screen ratios from 1.2:1 to 2.8:1.
The theatre is currently equipped with Epson EHTW9000W projector , 9.2 Audio System, all fully calibrated, and is beautiful.
I derive huge pleasure from my collection of Blurays, SACD's, DVD's, and CD's, and also dabble in my associated hobby of 3D amateur Movie Production.

Currently, I excitedly await the arrival of the "My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary" Bluray , and am particularly anticipating the eventual release of the movie that has always been special for me, "Around The World in 80 Days".
When "80 Days" was originally released in Australia, no theatres were equipped for 70mm, so all initial screenings were with the "Cinestage" 35mm Prints, so I am especially keen to see a good restoration from original TODD AO elements,

That's all from me just now,
Cheers, Warren Thomson, avroman.

avroman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren Thomson
I have recently finished an upgrade to my Home Theatre, with the installation of a totally new Audio system.
A Yamaha RX-A3050 Receiver and Complete 7.2 :4 set of Def Tech Speakers.
My new Dolby Atmos Audio quality is THRILLING, and next month i'll have DTS X ready to go.
Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks