What's new

Avia calibration question (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have a new Panasonic 47wx49 and just went through my first attempt at a basic Avia video calibration. A couple of things didn't work out as expected and I was curious if anyone could tell me if I did something wrong.

On the sharpness adjustment, moving all the way from 0 to maximum didn't change the picture very much at all. certainly not the dramatic effect of the example. I turned off all the automatic options I could find, is there anything common to look for when performing this adjustment doesn't go well?

On the saturation/hue adjustment I had to go all the way to maximum to get the saturation correct. Having any setting at maximum bothers me. Does this seem normal? BTW, hue did not require a maximum value; and adjusting for red push brought the saturation down to about 50 on a 1-60 scale.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I can't speak for that TV, but I will attempt to address your questions.
1) It is preferred to turn sharpness as low as possible while maintaining the desired picture on the AVIA disc. Setting sharpness too high can introduce artifacts and actually make the picture look worse.
2) If your saturation and hue settings are corect when using the blue filter, I think you have it set correctly.
The final test would be to watch a DVD known to have high quality. I would recommend The Insider , X-Men, or The Fifth Element

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks