What's new

Avi Arad talks 7 more sequels for Spider Man (1 Viewer)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
There are lots of good stories to choose from...right out of the pages of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (not to mention the other titles, including ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN). If they keep telling good stories, people will come back. I mean, people have bought the comic every month for 40 years...I think they can do 9 movies total if they keep making entertaining pictures.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
There is sufficient material to allow for plenty of films.

Is there the necessary talent to keep the quality level of the film up? I hope so. Like Seth, I believe Spider-Man is a very special character, and his accessibility to a HUGE audience is a real boon. But the talent after Raimi is gone is the suspect. Time will tell. I agree that an open attitude is a wise one.

Hell, they could stick with the basic villains and storylines, and still have a goldmine of material. I'd kill to see a Sandman story. Or even the muthaf***ing RHINO!

Old school rules,
Chuck

I also agree re: clones, android parents, any of that stupid mid-90's crap. You are the weakest link...goodbye.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Not being a huge fan of Spider-man (the comics), I think they should try to make the third film a spectacle and then just leave it at that. The comics exist, so if someone really wanted to learn the story in between the films, they could just read those. The movies, after all, are just adaptations of whats been around for a long time.

Though I'm sure they could crank out a ton of great sequels.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im with those who would rather see the classic villians instead of the more recent popular.Its not so much Im against a Venom movie, but I think it should wait and be one of the last ones done.

Electro,Shocker,Vulture,Scorpion, Sandman and Lizard would be great on film.I would really love to see a movie where Kraven comes to NY to hunt Spidey down.The problem is do the suits think those types of characters are interesting enough for a film.

Also, If Lizard is in Spidey3, itll be the third film in a row where a scientist Peter Parker knows turns into a superbaddie thru scientific accident and it may wear thin quickly.Which is why I lean towards Vulture,Kraven or Shocker - someone not involved in a scientific accident. We're more tolerant of such things, but average movie joe probally wont be.They may feel like theyve seen it before.

I think we'll see the 90s-recent stuff once the $$ begin to slip.

PS- Anyone rememeber the great 2 issues with Madam Web and The Juggernaut from 83 or so?

Gotta try to hunt those down.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Thanks!
Here they are:)

I dont know what happened to all my Spidey comics :frowning:
I got rid of alot of stuff I had laying around in the early 90s when I didnt have alot of room - must have gotten rid of lots of Spideys (among other things)and not remember it.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
With over 40 years of stories, yes, you could certainly cherry-pick a dozen for theatrical release.

Avi is good people, but the public's appetite for Spidey would certainly wear itself out after four films. That seems to be the point when people say "Enough," no matter how competent the execution. Filmgoers get bored.

I'm sure we'll see Spidey V, VI, etc., but it'll be a dozen or more years in the future. I believe four is the absolute max under the current regime, and even that is stretching it.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
As much as I love Spidey and cant wait for the movie, Seven more sequels? Sounds like Greed to me.
How about mixing it up and doing a Spidey movie with other Superheros, kindve like JLA?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I'd take the last two Batman flicks over the last two Superman flicks in a heartbeat. Batman Forever actually has some good moments, and B&R may be mostly a debacle, but it's at least as good as the nightmares that are the last two Superman movies...

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Superman III is notable for the Clark vs Bad Supes fight. That was a great piece of filmmaking. I've considered renting Superman III JUST to watch that scene, but I never get around to it.

The problem with II and III is that Richard Lester simply wasn't the right choice for Superman, and he never seemed to take it as seriously as Donner did. Not that Superman needs to be SERIOUS but there was a definite shift in tone that doesn't really fit the mythos of the character.

EXCEPT for the Kent/Supes scene in the junkyard.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Spider-Man and Harry Potter will be litmus tests I guess as to how long a series can go before people "OK, I'm sick of this".

I guess the only real precident would be six Star Trek movies (original crew) over the span of 13 years or so.

I don't think it'll go that far though. I think Spidey will start to fizzle by the fourth insallment.

I wouldn't mind seeing James Cameron *finally* get a crack at a Spider-Man film, although I'm not sure if he's interested anymore.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Robert:

I LOVED Superman II as a kid. Now I only like it. It doesn't wear well with age.

And I agree that BATMAN FOREVER is better than Superman III and IV combined. BATMAN FOREVER actually had a decent story (unlike BATMAN AND ROBIN) but didn't get the execution right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks