What's new

The Avengers (2012) (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Warning. May contain spoilers. It does tell how the movie opens, which you might not care to know. It's not, in fact, a major spoiler, but proceed with caution.
In other Steve Rogers related new, The Avengers director Joss Whedon has revealed that he will open that ensemble superhero film with an old newsreel from the 40s featuring actress Joan Leslie as Steve Roger's girlfriend of the time. The director will digitally recreate the departed actress using footage from the film This is the Army.
http://www.movieweb.com/news/captain-america-2-screenwriter-wants-modok-as-main-villain
I only just saw Cap a couple of days ago. Did Joss miss it? Because Peggy Carter was clearly the only girl in Cap's life. He basically thought he'd be dying a virgin. A commenter at the site said that there were time skips, and he could have been dating others during that time. That's not the story that was told on screen. He was still shy and nervous around women when the secretary planted one on him, and then it was the final run to the end of the movie (including the newsreel footage catching Cap's compass photograph).
Now, if "Cap and Joan Leslie" is supposed to be a studio-manufactured romance that never actually happened, fine. That actually fits the period pretty well. They are thrown together by the USO, and the cameras tell a different story from what was actually happening.
Also at the link, the screenwriter wants MODOK to be the main villain of Cap 2.
7d3acb87_doh.gif

Mr. Markus, please read this:
http://io9.com/5835470/why-iron-man-succeeded-where-green-lantern-failed/

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Considering they're using existing footage, I don't think they'll have anything extensive built around it. I'm sure the newsreel is part of the propaganda push surrounding the Captain.
I really hope Avengers has time to address the emotional fallout from Caps being separated by sixty years from the love of his life. I'm afraid with such a large cast of characters, any of the individual stories will get lost in the shuffle.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, I was hoping for a scene with Peggy as an old lady. That would have been tough, especially if it was revealed that she never married and spent her life mourning Cappy.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The young female nurse/SHIELD agent at the end of Cap (played by Amanda Righetti) was supposed to be Sharon Carter, I believe. imdb has her in the Avengers, so I hope they address the loaded emotional baggage at some level. I actually expect they will.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely EPIC!!! If this doesn't end up delivering the goods I may never watch a movie again. :laugh:

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
A great trailer.
I'm really praying for this.
Though it's the first time i feel a major major character like the Hulk is played out like an afterthought.
Maybe they'll set him up better in another trailer
I dont know it really feels like THOR ! CAPTAIN AMERICA ! IRON MAN ! HAWKEYE ! BLACK WIDOW ! NICK FURY !
All on a loop and then at the very last moment
oh yeah,we almost forgot...the Hulk.
Maybe you fellas can clue me in on this.
Has it always been like this in the comics,like part of the team,but not really a superhero ?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
montrealfilmguy said:
A great trailer.
I'm really praying for this.
Though it's the first time i feel a major major character like the Hulk is played out like an afterthought.
Maybe they'll set him up better in another trailer
I dont know it really feels like THOR ! CAPTAIN AMERICA ! IRON MAN ! HAWKEYE ! BLACK WIDOW ! NICK FURY !
All on a loop and then at the very last moment
oh yeah,we almost forgot...the Hulk.
Has it always been like this in the comics,like part of the team,but not really a superhero ?
I didn't see it that way at all. I think they were saving him as the big reveal at the end and not wanting to give too much of his appearance away. Common practice with movie trailers.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It probably doesn't help that the Hulk has been way less successful at the box office than any of the other participants. Iron Man is huge, while Thor and Captain America both posted respectable B.O. tallies. Black Widow and Hawkeye are unproven as stand alone box office performers, but Black Widow certainly didn't hurt Iron Man 2 at the box office, and the same is true of Hawkeye with Thor. So that leaves the Hulk as the weak link.
... or it could be that they only had minimal completed CG Hulk shots, so they had to save it for where it could have the most impact.:cool:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
-[I wonder why they decided to show Scarlett Johansson just standing there with explosions going off in slow motion? I mean, with her reputation as an established action heroine, you think they would want to show her a bit more active instead of just standing around gawking?]-

The only weak spot for me, everything looks fine though I hope they tone down tony Stark a bit. After Iron Man 2 I had about enough of the jerkface. It is "The Avengers" not "Iron Man and his Avengers" right?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
montrealfilmguy said:
The Hulk was basically the Pete Best of the Avengers. He was there ever so briefly when they were just getting started up, but his persecution complex caused him to leave the group. They basically had one, maybe two adventures together and he said, "You guys will probably come after me next!" or something. Other than that brief time, I don't think the Banner Hulk has been back with the Avengers. There's currently another (red) Hulk with the Avengers now, and Banner Hulk is a member in good standing with the current cartoon iteration.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I am just so damn afraid to get really excited about this movie. It has everything going for it. I just dont want to experience massive disappointment (ala Star Wars, Matrix etc.)
Gah...too late...I am super excited!
(Plus I just got a copy of the comic book Avengers #1, so I hope it increases the value! Hehe)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
everything looks fine though I hope they tone down tony Stark a bit. After Iron Man 2 I had about enough of the jerkface. It is "The Avengers" not "Iron Man and his Avengers" right?
Totally disagree. For me, Downey is absolute gold as Tony Stark and his portrayal of the character should not be changed one bit for The Avengers.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Brent M said:
Totally disagree. For me, Downey is absolute gold as Tony Stark and his portrayal of the character should not be changed one bit for The Avengers.
I can see that. I'm finding Downey is getting a bit one note. His Tony Stark isn't that much different from his Sherlock Holmes. He's starting to get too Johnny "wacky" Depp for my taste when he can be so much better then that.

At least he'll be playing off strong personalities. I'm still holding out hope. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It was OK. It used my favorite track from NIN's 1999 Fragile album, "We're In This Together".
It was pretty RDJ-centric, with Iron Man getting the dialogue and the action beats. But that is a teaser, and it is using their biggest actor and franchise. I presume (and hope) the film itself is a bit more balanced, with room for the other characters to play. In the end, Captain America is the leader and heart of the team, so I hope it eventually rises to that.
OK trailer. Needed a legitimate group shot.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I'm getting jaded, as that trailer for the Avengers didn't really get me all that excited. Plus, not loving the shorter hairdo on the Black Widow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks